Sponsored

Daily driver 2.3L 7spd at high altitude?

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This 2.3 is a little tank of an engine. I was a little nervous about it too before mine arrived but it moves the brick just fine. Throw in some nice cool air and that turbo will just inhale more of it. Every turbo motor I’ve driven seems like it’s more peppy with the cool air but the altitude will offset that some. Either way you won’t be feeling like a slouch.
Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I've never owned an automatic actually 😆 having the manual was important to me.
Ahhh I see your a man a culture :ROFLMAO:.

I've taken my 4dr to 4k+ feet with every nook and cranny stuffed with guns and gear. Never felt like it was underpowered. Pulled 6% grades at 65 with ease.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one ever has said that a manual transmission on steep paved mountain grades- going up OR down- in very bad weather is the better choice. Off-road in the summer will be ok, any mud or snow will cause major puckering, on paved or dirt. IMHO

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Turbos do really well at high elevations. Pretty sure that will beat out your 3.6. I'm at 6000 feet and when I went from the 3.6 in my wrangler to the 2.0 turbo I noticed a big difference.
The 2.3 in my Ranger, auto had a good amount of lag at startup, but I bet with the manual you will be good to go. If I got the 2.3 it would be manual not auto. At 6000 feet I'm pretty happy with the 2.3 though.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ahhh I see your a man a culture :ROFLMAO:.

I've taken my 4dr to 4k+ feet with every nook and cranny stuffed with guns and gear. Never felt like it was underpowered. Pulled 6% grades at 65 with ease.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
No one ever has said that a manual transmission on steep paved mountain grades- going up OR down- in very bad weather is the better choice. Off-road in the summer will be ok, any mud or snow will cause major puckering, on paved or dirt. IMHO
I like the control I have with the manual, even in snow or ice, or when dry and going fast, using the gears to control my speed on the steep hills... typically I get a long life out of my clutches as well as my brakes. My wife's F150 is a 10speed auto and that things pretty nice in tow/haul or sport, but still annoys me sometimes when it doesnt shift when I want it to. I'll always prefer the manual for everything except rock crawling.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What do you base this opinion on? Have you been in a bronco with the 2.3? Why do you thing the transmission and/or the weather have anything to do with the power delivery? I have been in a 2.3 bronco at King of the Hammers. It has plenty of power to move the truck.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What do you base this opinion on? Have you been in a bronco with the 2.3? Why do you thing the transmission and/or the weather have anything to do with the power delivery? I have been in a 2.3 bronco at King of the Hammers. It has plenty of power to move the truck.
Yeah I was kind of wondering about that statement myself. We just came across Colorado in the worst storm of the year out there so far, in our 2-door with manual trans. Wrecks everywhere, even stopped for an hour on Vail Pass waiting for a wreck to be cleared. But the Bronco and the manual trans handled just fine.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both, the 2.3 and 2.7 will be great up in the higher altitudes.

I'm right at 7,000' here in Colorado and up to 14,000' often in the summer/fall so I went with the 2.7.

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I live in Boulder, CO (5300 ft) and drive to the mountains almost every weekend (up to 10k) in my 2.3L and it's fantastic - I always leave it in Sport mode

Sponsored

cjohns716

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in Boulder, CO (5300 ft) and drive to the mountains almost every weekend (up to 10k) in my 2.3L and it's fantastic - I always leave it in Sport mode
Hey campbebc,

I'm also in Boulder and starting to get a bit more serious about a Bronco. What sort of gas mileage are you seeing? My plan is a 4dr Badsquatch, so a bit different, but close enough.

I'm a volunteer ski patroller, so up to the mountains a lot in the winter, and camping and climbing in the summer. My Subaru Outback is great in the traction department, but good lord, to pass someone going over Berthoud Pass, I have to plan ahead like the Apollo project before going to the moon. Having another 4 banger makes me nervous, but obviously turbo will help. At this point, I don't plan on towing anything, but who knows, may pick up a snow mobile in the future or something.

All in all, this will be a very, very long-term car, so I don't want to regret what I get. But at the same time, it's going to be expensive (how does anyone afford cars that are more expensive than like ~55k?!) so if there are places I can save a bit of money, that's ideal.

Also! I'd love to buy you a beer or coffee or something if I can take a peek at your rig! Closest I've found at a dealer was a 2 door base with nothing lol

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey campbebc,

I'm also in Boulder and starting to get a bit more serious about a Bronco. What sort of gas mileage are you seeing? My plan is a 4dr Badsquatch, so a bit different, but close enough.

I'm a volunteer ski patroller, so up to the mountains a lot in the winter, and camping and climbing in the summer. My Subaru Outback is great in the traction department, but good lord, to pass someone going over Berthoud Pass, I have to plan ahead like the Apollo project before going to the moon. Having another 4 banger makes me nervous, but obviously turbo will help. At this point, I don't plan on towing anything, but who knows, may pick up a snow mobile in the future or something.

All in all, this will be a very, very long-term car, so I don't want to regret what I get. But at the same time, it's going to be expensive (how does anyone afford cars that are more expensive than like ~55k?!) so if there are places I can save a bit of money, that's ideal.

Also! I'd love to buy you a beer or coffee or something if I can take a peek at your rig! Closest I've found at a dealer was a 2 door base with nothing lol
We have a 4DR OBX, non-squatch, with 33" KO2s and 17" wheels off of a Badlands. Have added MOD bumper, 4WP rear bumper, and full OEM skids so we've increased the weight a bit. We average 18-18.5MPG on 85Octane. Just did a trip to and from Crested Butte this weekend over Cottonwood pass and got 20.6MPG average so pretty solid.

My wife and I have never enjoyed a vehicle more, we're up close to 15k miles now. Happy to meetup and let you check it out, definitely have some things I would have ordered differently now that I've lived with it, likely would go with a Badlands or Bad-squatch but there's always next time!

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've taken it offroading at over 13k feet with no problem. 2.3l 7mt

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The wife and I have driven both our 2.3 and 2.7 starting in Palmdale in 100+ degree weather up to Lake Gregory near the OP’s location. So from 2400 to 5000 ft with the AC on full blast with the summer heat. I was honestly surprised that there was not as much difference between the two and both powered through everything with no hiccups. Not once did I feel a lack of power in either.
Sponsored