Sponsored

Daily driver 2.3L 7spd at high altitude?

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got a 2 door 2.3, manual Base Sasquatch on order. I live at 5,000 feet. I spend half my time driving between 5 & 8 thousand feet in elevation, and the other half of my time down the mountain at work or in the city (1500 to 3500ft). My daily commute is only about 60 miles round trip, but, elevation changes about 4500 feet.

I am currently daily driving a wrangler on 37's and 4:88 gears.
Do you guys think the 2.3 ecoboost will be enough power for me?
I know that it makes more HP and Torque than my Jeep does...
I'm curious and hoping someone could chime in who has a similar Bronco already and lives or commutes at high altitude.
Does anybody regret going with the 2.3?

Screenshot_20220103-133543_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220103-133442_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm sure you will be fine . 18 wheelers do ten and 14 hours a day all week long with a stiff clutch pedal.
I personally would go with the 10 speed auto.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is turbo charged so altitude isn’t going to matter.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sure you will be fine . 18 wheelers do ten and 14 hours a day all week long with a stiff clutch pedal.
I personally would go with the 10 speed auto.
Yeah I've never owned an automatic actually 😆 having the manual was important to me.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks, and yes I've opted for the 4.70 gears thanks to the squatch pkg. This is why I prefer a manual also, all the mountain driving.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is turbo charged so altitude isn’t going to matter.
Altitude still negatively affects turbocharged engines. Just to a lesser extent than NA.

If OP has a 3.6 currently this would be much better. If he has a 2.0 currently this won't be any worse.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Altitude still negatively affects turbocharged engines. Just to a lesser extent than NA.

If OP has a 3.6 currently this would be much better. If he has a 2.0 currently this won't be any worse.
Im a normal 3.6 wrangler right now. Even with the gears it's pretty much WOT all the way up the mtn. Im hoping the bronco wont have to be driven as hard.

nbdybeatsthewiz

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I live in CO at 5000 ft as well. Made multiple trips into the mountains thus far with my 2.3 and haven't had any issues. You'll definitely want to be in 3rd or 4th gear when the elevation goes up drastically, but I've never felt underpowered so far

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long grades with auto tx calls for monitoring TFT (Scan Gauge done their Bronco homework yet?)….I’d rather have manual.

(Just out of curiosity- does Bronco have cooler on auto?)

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've got a 2 door 2.3, manual Base Sasquatch on order. I live at 5,000 feet. I spend half my time driving between 5 & 8 thousand feet in elevation, and the other half of my time down the mountain at work or in the city (1500 to 3500ft). My daily commute is only about 60 miles round trip, but, elevation changes about 4500 feet.

I am currently daily driving a wrangler on 37's and 4:88 gears.
Do you guys think the 2.3 ecoboost will be enough power for me?
I know that it makes more HP and Torque than my Jeep does...
I'm curious and hoping someone could chime in who has a similar Bronco already and lives or commutes at high altitude.
Does anybody regret going with the 2.3?

Ford Bronco Daily driver 2.3L 7spd at high altitude? Screenshot_20220103-133442_Chrome

Ford Bronco Daily driver 2.3L 7spd at high altitude? Screenshot_20220103-133442_Chrome
I have a Lake Arrowhead home and drive right by you every week. There is nothing steep enough up there that will cause a 2.3L to not have enough power. The forced induction will offset any power loss at altitude. It will still manage to reach the target charge density.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a Lake Arrowhead home and drive right by you every week. There is nothing steep enough up there that will cause a 2.3L to not have enough power. The forced induction will offset any power loss at altitude. It will still manage to reach the target charge density.
Well wave at me next time and I'll wave back 😆 do you have your Bronco yet? I was taking the 330 last week because of the washout on the 18, and I passed both a grey bronco and a yellow one almost every day.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nvmnd I just noticed your 1/10 build date. Any time now! 😀

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've had my 2.3/7spd at altitude quite a bit, both here in So Cal (Big Bear area) and out in Colorado for a week of wheeling. I haven't found the power to be lacking at altitude, even with 35's on stock 4.46 gearing. You'll have a blast running up and down the hill with it.

OP
OP
Samsquantch

Samsquantch

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had my 2.3/7spd at altitude quite a bit, both here in So Cal (Big Bear area) and out in Colorado for a week of wheeling. I haven't found the power to be lacking at altitude, even with 35's on stock 4.46 gearing. You'll have a blast running up and down the hill with it.
I thought about asking you Dusty, I dont see you anymore though! I got a different job away from the offroad world and haven't been down to old Mentone Beach in a while now. That's good to know, I just needed to hear this to put my mind at ease. This'll be the smallest engine I'll have ever had so I couldnt help but remember how terrible it was driving my old 2.5L YJ from yucaipa to angelus oaks back in the day. Technology sure has changed.
Sponsored