Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 SD, 68 Firebird, 85 300ZX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi. I’ve been running my 2.7 BD on 93 octane with 10% ethanol for 11k miles. We just got a new Wawa near me offering 89 octane non-ethanol for about $0.10 less per gallon. After one tank, I have noticed about 0.2 miles/gallon improvement according to the dash monitor.

i Imagine it is all about BTUs and stuff, but if I can get better mileage with cheaper fuel than premium, it’s a win.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.
Sponsored

Yikes!

Wildtrak
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I hate ethanol blended fuels as I have seen the after affects in many ways. Race cars, equipment, trucks and small engines. Also watching my family and friends buy new mowers and weed eaters every other year because of fuel issues finally cured me. Old ethanol blended fuel seems to be the common denominator. For me, I will always default to stations that serve up non-ethanol fuels regardless of octane rating. It is my understanding the ethanol produces quite a bit less energy. Save money on fuel and give it back with less miles to the gallon. I prefer to skip ethanol anything if I can help it. Just one opinion..... :)

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ethanol is terrible for any vehicle, especially if it sits for any duration. If you can find non ethanol for a comparable price, definitely go with non ethanol.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I could get non-ethanol fuel I'd be all over it. It may have changed, though I rather doubt it, but the last time I looked the nearest "pure" gas was hours away from me. Good on you OP!

Sponsored

Yikes!

Wildtrak
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pay very close attention at fueling stations. Here in Missouri, I often see a single pump that has non-ethanol fuel. My wife just asked me why we circled the Quik Trip gas pumps 5 times. She told nobody cared about seeing my Bronco. 🤪 I finally found the one red handle pump out 20+. It may be around but hard to spot.

Reactions: rws

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ethanol is terrible for any vehicle, especially if it sits for any duration. If you can find non-ethanol for a comparable price, definitely go with non-ethanol.
(BostonSasquatch's italization)
Yes! This!
Ethanol has been one of the biggest cons this country ever suffered. It was proposed during the OPEC-initiated gas crisis of the late 1970s, "seemed to make sense at the time," and was sold to (or foisted upon) the public. We now know that it is an inferior fuel and harmful to many automotive parts (especially rubber & plastics).
Not only that, but it is energy-negative, and requires more energy to produce biomass and distill than it yields. It's also very costly in its need for fertilizers and water.
But people still think it is "green" or "sustainable" energy. It's not. There are now, alas, huge "vested interests" committed to its (profitable) continuance.
Your tax dollars at work.

I envy the availability of non-ethanol gas you have. Doubt I'd ever see that in my state.

Last edited:

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only reason ethanol gas costs less is the tax breaks and subsidies the feds give to the refineries. It will really take a huge change to get rid of it so don't count on it. I love non ethanol gas and use it in all my small stuff (lawn equip...etc or cars that sit more than drive). It is a better solution for cars but just don't have time to fight it. I don't think it poses much danger to the engine combustion process, but is less efficient...but I could be wrong. Anyways. If you can swing it you will be happier with ethanol free gas....but judge for your self if the juice is worth the squeeze on your wallet.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will get the better fuel economy with the 100% Dino juice.

You are giving up 4 octane points with the 89. Your 2.7 will not make as much power as a result. But if you aren’t pushing your Bronco to the limits you may not notice that.

I would make sure that whatever juice I put into my Bronco on a regular basis was top tier gasoline. The EPA minimum additives in lesser gasoline’s may result in more engine maintenance later on.
Sponsored