Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a lot of fun. I just got back from a road trip out to OBX from Colorado but opted to take the Explorer over Bronco for the simple fact we have 3 girls and wanted them to each have plenty of room. Explorer did great but I will admit every time I saw a Bronco I was sad that mine was left at home.
Sponsored

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you do get one, the rear cargo door does not swing open when this is affixed to the hitch. I learned this the hard way when I got to the campsite, and had to unload everything out of the front doors on my 2D (i used a locking hitch pin and left the key in the shorts I was wearing during loading)

I ended getting one of these, but used it upside down so that it lowers the height of the basket by 4", which was just enough clearance to open the hatch.

All said and done, it's a real life saver for the 2Ds because 1 60L cooler fills up more than half of the inside cargo space with seats folded up, and I usually pack a 60L and a 45L. Also great for firewood and hauling out trash afterwards.

KakaoTalk_20220620_090801195.jpg

Also folds up when not in use, but I usually take it off and store it because it interferes with the rear sensors and camera.
It might help to add Kuat Pivot 2-2" Swing Away Extension Bike Racks (Passenger Side) https://a.co/d/bw2Fazs

Sven

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Bronco,75 F250 CS,88 M35a2c,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last fall, my wife and I planned on taking our kids (ages 10 and 7) on a Yellowstone trip, leaving from our home in Southern California. At the time that we planned the trip, we assumed that we’d have my 2021 Bronco Badlands by then, and I was fortunately enough to have it delivered on January 5th (I was a day 1 reservation). However, for the trip, my wife really wanted to take our Explorer ST since it’s a smoother, quieter ride, and it’s a bit larger inside. Fortunately, I was able to persuade her that we should take my Bronco and that it would be roomy enough and that it would end up being a comfortable ride. We figured the trip would be about 2,600 miles and about 40 hours in the Bronco, so it would be a great test of how comfortable (or not) it would be on such a long road trip.

So we set off for our trip to Yellowstone on June 11th, noting that there were some thunderstorms showing in the forecast, but we had planned to first stop for a day and night in Las Vegas, and then a day and night in Park City, Utah. On Monday, the 13th, we made the long trek from Park City to West Yellowstone, Montana. As we arrived, there was no rain at the moment, but there was a lot of commotion near the road to the entrance to Yellowstone Park. At about that time, we receive a text form a friend about flooding and roads being washed out. We got out and started talking to people and learned about all of the flooding and damage, particularly in the northern portion of the park. We knew immediately that the park would be closed for at least the next 2 days, so we would potentially be “stuck” in West Yellowstone with "nothing" to do for at least 2 days, or maybe longer.

So we had to scramble to decide what to do. We decided to make a leap, pack our things, and leave West Yellowstone to go see Mount Rushmore. From West Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore alone is about 580 miles and 9 hours, a huge addition to our trip that was originally unplanned, and that was just travel in one direction; we’d eventually have to make our way back south and west after a few days…

The morning of the 14th, we woke up to snowy conditions on our way out of town. We were lucky that the main roads and highways in the area were still intact and very safe. We did unfortunately see a few homes with water up to their windows in the Gardiner, MT area. We feel so bad for the people that were affected by what we've been told is a once-in-a-100-year storm.

IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

We eventually made it to Mount Rushmore the afternoon of Tuesday, June 14th, after 9 or so hours. Mount Rushmore was a great experience! The Bronco had been doing great so far, and everyone was comfortable, and it handled really well on the highway.

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

After Mount Rushmore, we still had to figure out how to then spend the rest of our time in South Dakota. We did some Google searching, and my wife reached out to a friend who had grown up in SD, and all signs pointed us to taking my Bronco Badlands to BADLANDS NATIONAL PARK!!! I couldn’t have been more excited (and my wife couldn’t have been more annoyed by my excitement)!

Badlands National Park is an amazing sight to see, and I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face as I was driving through the park and stopping at every chance that I could to get a picture of my Badlands at its namesake park! I didn’t research (or do) any off-roading options at or around Badlands because I didn’t bring any recovery gear on our trip, and I was solo with just my family and didn’t want to take any chances when so far away from home. In any case, it was still a great experience!

IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG

We made some other stops in SD (Crazy Horse Mountain, Custer State Park, and the Black Hills Caverns) before finding our way to Hot Springs, SD to stay overnight in a cool little cabin. On the morning of Thursday, June 16th, it was time to start heading west, to get back on track with our original itinerary. We had originally planned to go through the southern-most portions of Yellowstone that day and to then drive through Grand Tetons National Park. From Yellowstone, that would have been an easy hour-long drive or so, but from Hot Springs, SD, it was about 450 miles and over 7 hours.

IMG_4767.JPG

We drove through the Tetons, and they were quite impressive (and I even got to annoy my wife some more by taking some photos of my Bronco in front of the Tetons)! We then made our way down to Jackson, WY for the night.

IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG

After Jackson, WY, on Friday morning it was on to Tropic, Utah, near Bryce Canyon. This leg of our journey was about 520 miles and 8 hours long. Again, the Bronco performed well on this long haul and there were no complaints about its comfort, ride, and handling. On Saturday, the 18th, we drove into Bryce Canyon National Park and enjoyed the amazing views. Much like Badlands, the rock formations and colorings we like something from a Star Wars movie. It’s truly amazing what water, ice, wind and time to do to a natural landscape. I didn’t get many pics of my Bronco here, but I did still snag one.

IMG_4911.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG

After a picnic lunch (which was easy to set up using the tailgate table accessory) we left Bryce Canyon, we did some light off-roading on a trail that leads to Willis Creek Slot Canyon. At least I finally got to go off-roading on our trip, even though it was nothing challenging. It was still fun and the Bronco did great through the sand, gravel, and ruts! My wife and I had always wanted to walk through a slot canyon and this one did not disappoint! When we got back to our AirBnB, I rinsed off my baby and we prepped for our long ride home.

IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG

Finally, on Father’s Day, June 19th, we drove from Tropic to home, another 489 miles and about an 8 hour drive. We stopped in Vegas for some lunch at In-n-Out, since it had been about 2 weeks since we had eaten at one of our SoCal favorites. After fighting through the infamous home-bound Vegas traffic, we finally made it home that afternoon, and of course the first thing I did after unpacking was to take my Bronco to the car wash.

It was quite an adventure and even though we missed out on our main goal of visiting Yellowstone National Park, we still found lots of other things to do and explore. The big bonus to me was being able to drive my Badlands through Badlands. Plus, now we have an excuse to take another similar trip in a year or two, when we feel that things will be settled down in Yellowstone and we can finally get to see all that it has to offer (and I can take a million pics of my Bronco there as well)!

• 2021 Bronco Badlands
  • Non-Sasquatch
  • 2.7 L, 10 Speed Auto
  • Lux Package
  • MGV Seats / Washout Floors
  • MIC Top

• States Travelled: CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, SD
  • Total Trip Miles: 3,617.8 (includes driving through parks like Badlands, Bryce, etc.)
  • Total Trip Driving Time: 61:06:06 (includes driving through parks and some idling time here and there)
  • Total Trip MPG: 18.0 (I have a lead foot and generally drive at least 10% over the posted speed limit, lol, and I definitely took advantage of the 80 MPH Speed Limit in many of the states that we visited.)

IMG_5168.JPG

The Bronco did really well on the trip and my wife even admitted that I was right to push for us taking that vehicle on our trip. I found the seats to be very comfortable on the long legs of our trip, even more so than on the 2018 F-150 that I traded in for the Bronco. The 2.7 L provided plenty of power uphill and when passing. The transmission never seemed to wander for the right gear at any point, and there was plenty of pep and response when I punched it several times. The Bronco is a great road trip vehicle, and I can’t wait for future trips like the one that we just got back from!
Sweet. How did you like my friends Craig and Stephs Adventure Inn in West? Good folks! Looks like a grand trip indeed.

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is pretty cool. I'd need something a bit heftier though. This one is rated for 250 lbs.
250lbs is perfect for a cooler and some camping gear just don’t load concrete or bricks on the back. As for a hitch swing arm 250 is about the max you’ll find.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bsmith922

bsmith922

Raptor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sweet. How did you like my friends Craig and Stephs Adventure Inn in West? Good folks! Looks like a grand trip indeed.
We loved the Adventure Inn... but, unfortunately, we only ended up staying for 1 night, instead of our planned 3 nights, due to the closure of Yellowstone. At some point down the road, when we feel up to trying to get into Yellowstone again, we'd definitely stay there again!

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

250lbs is perfect for a cooler and some camping gear just don’t load concrete or bricks on the back. As for a hitch swing arm 250 is about the max you’ll find.
Usually have 2 full coolers, a 52 qt and a 45 qt, and several bundles of firewood. I have no idea how much that weighs, but guess that'll be the first thing I do tomorrow once I start loading up for the weekend.

RoadKiller

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk-Wife gets new and I get left over
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just came back from a lot of the same destinations. From the other way Chicago: Mt Rushmore, Bad Lands, Devils
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure E5EE0B54-BDF2-4363-8AB6-86076C63B0E1
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 5C7A8CBC-580A-4A80-B9B2-E5A5AA90621F
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 7FD44908-4B94-463A-8373-5D1E138A849E

Tower, Yellowstone, Gtand Tetons and Jackson Hole. Most impressed by Custer State Park - Rushmore area. Tunnels come out looking at Rushmore. 3 traffic jams. Cattle Drive and 2 Buffalo Herds one was about 500 head. They were smelling my tires and scratching themselves on the grille of the guy behind me. Great time just my son and I.
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure A7233E46-6AFE-4A9A-8650-0CB6615E3063
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure BC023DCA-606A-48C3-8B6E-7419FBB06D6E
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure BEB8C987-6438-4BFC-94D3-976AF4C4DC14
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 758D83DF-48F9-4552-9869-658712826BFE
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 62282FC3-755E-4F4B-AE97-695BD93E9FBE
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure DAC7CE9A-C7DC-4C90-80D1-707ED89FAA9D
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 4859D4C3-0BF0-4CC9-A1B6-AD36CD88E836
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure A7233E46-6AFE-4A9A-8650-0CB6615E3063
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure BC023DCA-606A-48C3-8B6E-7419FBB06D6E
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure BEB8C987-6438-4BFC-94D3-976AF4C4DC14
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 758D83DF-48F9-4552-9869-658712826BFE
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 62282FC3-755E-4F4B-AE97-695BD93E9FBE
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure DAC7CE9A-C7DC-4C90-80D1-707ED89FAA9D
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 4859D4C3-0BF0-4CC9-A1B6-AD36CD88E836
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure E5EE0B54-BDF2-4363-8AB6-86076C63B0E1
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 5C7A8CBC-580A-4A80-B9B2-E5A5AA90621F
Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure 7FD44908-4B94-463A-8373-5D1E138A849E

RoadKiller

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk-Wife gets new and I get left over
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry for the duplication in Pics as you can see from my gray hair. I'm at a age were I'm not the most tech savvy. Bronco drove like a dream. Can't believe the torque as my Big Bend 2.7L V6 10-speed auto drove up this hills with ease no problems. Never had to step into it. Every time we stopped for gas one person would fill up and the other would wash the windows. The bugs sounded like rocks on the highway. Especially with 80MPH speed limits in areas. One minor little thing that bothered me was the antenna was about an inch in the way of flipping up the one wiper. Yellowstone was one place I felt small with all the larger pick-ups pulling campers. We booked the trip day before the flood and went day after July 4th and came back 11 days later. Every night a different hotel or cabin.
Sponsored