Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am planning a road trip from NJ to Nashville and then to Austin to see Kill Tony at the Comedy Mothership in October. That's a pretty straightforward drive.

From Austin, I am planning to head out west to see some sites. I'd like to make it to Yellowstone. So far, I was thinking (from Austin) - Roswell, Sedona, Zion, Park City, Yellowstone, Badlands and then head back with a few stops as I head east back to NJ.

This is my first time making a long road trip. Any suggestions on stops, parks, roads, sites?

Also, what should I buy for my rig for the trip? I was thinking basic Rotopax for gasoline, proper Jack, First Aid, Fire Ext., Maxtrax, toe rope/winch strap. I might sleep inside the truck a few days to keep costs down.

Any help from those more experienced would be awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How much off roading are you planning on doing?

OP
OP
broncoSJ

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much off roading are you planning on doing?
I'm interested in doing some easy dirt trails but no rock climbing or crazy stuff. Solo trip.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you're going north from Texas to Wyoming, assume you'll hit snow.

FWIW, if I was going to hit Zion, I would plan for all 5 major national parks in SE Utah. Our personal ranking from hitting them all was:

1. Bryce
2. Canyonlands
Bonus: Moab!
3. Capitol Reef
4. Zion (assume you won't be doing Angel's Landing in October)
5. Arches

OP
OP
broncoSJ

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're going north from Texas to Wyoming, assume you'll hit snow.

FWIW, if I was going to hit Zion, I would plan for all 5 major national parks in SE Utah. Our personal ranking from hitting them all was:

1. Bryce
2. Canyonlands
Bonus: Moab!
3. Capitol Reef
4. Zion (assume you won't be doing Angel's Landing in October)
5. Arches
Good point about the snow. Maybe I can just do SE Utah parks.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

October is a great time to travel. Don't worry about the weather. You've got several choices on your route so just adjust based on weather.

As far as what to have in the vehicle, really just what you would normally carry in it. I like a decent set of tools. Screwdrivers, pliers, small socket set, etc. Tire plugs and air compressor. As far as the jack, make sure it's tall enough to change your tire. I carry a small block of wood to go under mine. I usually also have recovery gear, e-tool, small fire extinguisher, jumper cables, and on longer trips a battery jumper. Most of it fits nicely in the storage in the back and what doesn't fits easily in a floorboard. Plus all my camping and hiking gear. My next trip to Idaho will also include a small frame mountain bike in the back.

I do several long solo trips a year to do off roading at my destination. I don't carry gas or recovery boards. If I'm solo, I'm conservative and I've never been that far from a gas station, even deep into the National Forests of MT and ID.

I do at least two long solo trips every year to Idaho, Montana, or British Columbia. You can't see it all in one trip, so just prioritize on what you really want to see and plan enough days for it. I really like the SD drive as you can do Badlands into Rushmore into Devil's Tower. Plenty of options for Yellowstone, but I really prefer the drive from the North gate and out the Northeast gate, and then over the mountains to Cody. I camp just North of the Park in Mt prior to going through the park.

Try to make a good driving schedule for sight seeing and camping through the parks in UT you want to see. Be flexible. Some places you will want to spend more time at, some less. Go with the flow and plan to change your daily activities if you want. Again, you can't do it all on one trip, so don't try. Enjoy the moment and take in what you can. Save the rest for the next trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncoSJ

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

October is a great time to travel. Don't worry about the weather. You've got several choices on your route so just adjust based on weather.

As far as what to have in the vehicle, really just what you would normally carry in it. I like a decent set of tools. Screwdrivers, pliers, small socket set, etc. Tire plugs and air compressor. As far as the jack, make sure it's tall enough to change your tire. I carry a small block of wood to go under mine. I usually also have recovery gear, e-tool, small fire extinguisher, jumper cables, and on longer trips a battery jumper. Most of it fits nicely in the storage in the back and what doesn't fits easily in a floorboard. Plus all my camping and hiking gear. My next trip to Idaho will also include a small frame mountain bike in the back.

I do several long solo trips a year to do off roading at my destination. I don't carry gas or recovery boards. If I'm solo, I'm conservative and I've never been that far from a gas station, even deep into the National Forests of MT and ID.

I do at least two long solo trips every year to Idaho, Montana, or British Columbia. You can't see it all in one trip, so just prioritize on what you really want to see and plan enough days for it. I really like the SD drive as you can do Badlands into Rushmore into Devil's Tower. Plenty of options for Yellowstone, but I really prefer the drive from the North gate and out the Northeast gate, and then over the mountains to Cody. I camp just North of the Park in Mt prior to going through the park.

Try to make a good driving schedule for sight seeing and camping through the parks in UT you want to see. Be flexible. Some places you will want to spend more time at, some less. Go with the flow and plan to change your daily activities if you want. Again, you can't do it all on one trip, so don't try. Enjoy the moment and take it what you can. Save the rest for the next trip.
thank you!!
Sponsored