Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great trip and
Last fall, my wife and I planned on taking our kids (ages 10 and 7) on a Yellowstone trip, leaving from our home in Southern California. At the time that we planned the trip, we assumed that we’d have my 2021 Bronco Badlands by then, and I was fortunately enough to have it delivered on January 5th (I was a day 1 reservation). However, for the trip, my wife really wanted to take our Explorer ST since it’s a smoother, quieter ride, and it’s a bit larger inside. Fortunately, I was able to persuade her that we should take my Bronco and that it would be roomy enough and that it would end up being a comfortable ride. We figured the trip would be about 2,600 miles and about 40 hours in the Bronco, so it would be a great test of how comfortable (or not) it would be on such a long road trip.

So we set off for our trip to Yellowstone on June 11th, noting that there were some thunderstorms showing in the forecast, but we had planned to first stop for a day and night in Las Vegas, and then a day and night in Park City, Utah. On Monday, the 13th, we made the long trek from Park City to West Yellowstone, Montana. As we arrived, there was no rain at the moment, but there was a lot of commotion near the road to the entrance to Yellowstone Park. At about that time, we receive a text form a friend about flooding and roads being washed out. We got out and started talking to people and learned about all of the flooding and damage, particularly in the northern portion of the park. We knew immediately that the park would be closed for at least the next 2 days, so we would potentially be “stuck” in West Yellowstone with "nothing" to do for at least 2 days, or maybe longer.

So we had to scramble to decide what to do. We decided to make a leap, pack our things, and leave West Yellowstone to go see Mount Rushmore. From West Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore alone is about 580 miles and 9 hours, a huge addition to our trip that was originally unplanned, and that was just travel in one direction; we’d eventually have to make our way back south and west after a few days…

The morning of the 14th, we woke up to snowy conditions on our way out of town. We were lucky that the main roads and highways in the area were still intact and very safe. We did unfortunately see a few homes with water up to their windows in the Gardiner, MT area. We feel so bad for the people that were affected by what we've been told is a once-in-a-100-year storm.

IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

We eventually made it to Mount Rushmore the afternoon of Tuesday, June 14th, after 9 or so hours. Mount Rushmore was a great experience! The Bronco had been doing great so far, and everyone was comfortable, and it handled really well on the highway.

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

After Mount Rushmore, we still had to figure out how to then spend the rest of our time in South Dakota. We did some Google searching, and my wife reached out to a friend who had grown up in SD, and all signs pointed us to taking my Bronco Badlands to BADLANDS NATIONAL PARK!!! I couldn’t have been more excited (and my wife couldn’t have been more annoyed by my excitement)!

Badlands National Park is an amazing sight to see, and I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face as I was driving through the park and stopping at every chance that I could to get a picture of my Badlands at its namesake park! I didn’t research (or do) any off-roading options at or around Badlands because I didn’t bring any recovery gear on our trip, and I was solo with just my family and didn’t want to take any chances when so far away from home. In any case, it was still a great experience!

IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG

We made some other stops in SD (Crazy Horse Mountain, Custer State Park, and the Black Hills Caverns) before finding our way to Hot Springs, SD to stay overnight in a cool little cabin. On the morning of Thursday, June 16th, it was time to start heading west, to get back on track with our original itinerary. We had originally planned to go through the southern-most portions of Yellowstone that day and to then drive through Grand Tetons National Park. From Yellowstone, that would have been an easy hour-long drive or so, but from Hot Springs, SD, it was about 450 miles and over 7 hours.

IMG_4767.JPG

We drove through the Tetons, and they were quite impressive (and I even got to annoy my wife some more by taking some photos of my Bronco in front of the Tetons)! We then made our way down to Jackson, WY for the night.

IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG

After Jackson, WY, on Friday morning it was on to Tropic, Utah, near Bryce Canyon. This leg of our journey was about 520 miles and 8 hours long. Again, the Bronco performed well on this long haul and there were no complaints about its comfort, ride, and handling. On Saturday, the 18th, we drove into Bryce Canyon National Park and enjoyed the amazing views. Much like Badlands, the rock formations and colorings we like something from a Star Wars movie. It’s truly amazing what water, ice, wind and time to do to a natural landscape. I didn’t get many pics of my Bronco here, but I did still snag one.

IMG_4911.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG

After a picnic lunch (which was easy to set up using the tailgate table accessory) we left Bryce Canyon, we did some light off-roading on a trail that leads to Willis Creek Slot Canyon. At least I finally got to go off-roading on our trip, even though it was nothing challenging. It was still fun and the Bronco did great through the sand, gravel, and ruts! My wife and I had always wanted to walk through a slot canyon and this one did not disappoint! When we got back to our AirBnB, I rinsed off my baby and we prepped for our long ride home.

IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG

Finally, on Father’s Day, June 19th, we drove from Tropic to home, another 489 miles and about an 8 hour drive. We stopped in Vegas for some lunch at In-n-Out, since it had been about 2 weeks since we had eaten at one of our SoCal favorites. After fighting through the infamous home-bound Vegas traffic, we finally made it home that afternoon, and of course the first thing I did after unpacking was to take my Bronco to the car wash.

It was quite an adventure and even though we missed out on our main goal of visiting Yellowstone National Park, we still found lots of other things to do and explore. The big bonus to me was being able to drive my Badlands through Badlands. Plus, now we have an excuse to take another similar trip in a year or two, when we feel that things will be settled down in Yellowstone and we can finally get to see all that it has to offer (and I can take a million pics of my Bronco there as well)!

• 2021 Bronco Badlands
  • Non-Sasquatch
  • 2.7 L, 10 Speed Auto
  • Lux Package
  • MGV Seats / Washout Floors
  • MIC Top

• States Travelled: CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MY, WY, SD
  • Total Trip Miles: 3,617.8 (includes driving through parks like Badlands, Bryce, etc.)
  • Total Trip Driving Time: 61:06:06 (includes driving through parks and some idling time here and there)
  • Total Trip MPG: 18.0 (I have a lead foot and generally drive at least 10% over the posted speed limit, lol, and I definitely took advantage of the 80 MPH Speed Limit in many of the states that we visited.)

IMG_5168.JPG

The Bronco did really well on the trip and my wife even admitted that I was right to push for us taking that vehicle on our trip. I found the seats to be very comfortable on the long legs of our trip, even more so than on the 2018 F-150 that I traded in for the Bronco. The 2.7 L provided plenty of power uphill and when passing. The transmission never seemed to wander for the right gear at any point, and there was plenty of pep and response when I punched it several times. The Bronco is a great road trip vehicle, and I can’t wait for future trips like the one that we just got back from!
Seems like a great trip! im half way through the read ill finish up later, just kidding! Id love to get out to Badlands with my badlands, and the part about your grin and your wife being annoyed was hilarious!!
Sponsored

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Last fall, my wife and I planned on taking our kids (ages 10 and 7) on a Yellowstone trip, leaving from our home in Southern California. At the time that we planned the trip, we assumed that we’d have my 2021 Bronco Badlands by then, and I was fortunately enough to have it delivered on January 5th (I was a day 1 reservation). However, for the trip, my wife really wanted to take our Explorer ST since it’s a smoother, quieter ride, and it’s a bit larger inside. Fortunately, I was able to persuade her that we should take my Bronco and that it would be roomy enough and that it would end up being a comfortable ride. We figured the trip would be about 2,600 miles and about 40 hours in the Bronco, so it would be a great test of how comfortable (or not) it would be on such a long road trip.

So we set off for our trip to Yellowstone on June 11th, noting that there were some thunderstorms showing in the forecast, but we had planned to first stop for a day and night in Las Vegas, and then a day and night in Park City, Utah. On Monday, the 13th, we made the long trek from Park City to West Yellowstone, Montana. As we arrived, there was no rain at the moment, but there was a lot of commotion near the road to the entrance to Yellowstone Park. At about that time, we receive a text form a friend about flooding and roads being washed out. We got out and started talking to people and learned about all of the flooding and damage, particularly in the northern portion of the park. We knew immediately that the park would be closed for at least the next 2 days, so we would potentially be “stuck” in West Yellowstone with "nothing" to do for at least 2 days, or maybe longer.

So we had to scramble to decide what to do. We decided to make a leap, pack our things, and leave West Yellowstone to go see Mount Rushmore. From West Yellowstone to Mount Rushmore alone is about 580 miles and 9 hours, a huge addition to our trip that was originally unplanned, and that was just travel in one direction; we’d eventually have to make our way back south and west after a few days…

The morning of the 14th, we woke up to snowy conditions on our way out of town. We were lucky that the main roads and highways in the area were still intact and very safe. We did unfortunately see a few homes with water up to their windows in the Gardiner, MT area. We feel so bad for the people that were affected by what we've been told is a once-in-a-100-year storm.

IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

We eventually made it to Mount Rushmore the afternoon of Tuesday, June 14th, after 9 or so hours. Mount Rushmore was a great experience! The Bronco had been doing great so far, and everyone was comfortable, and it handled really well on the highway.

IMG_4599.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

After Mount Rushmore, we still had to figure out how to then spend the rest of our time in South Dakota. We did some Google searching, and my wife reached out to a friend who had grown up in SD, and all signs pointed us to taking my Bronco Badlands to BADLANDS NATIONAL PARK!!! I couldn’t have been more excited (and my wife couldn’t have been more annoyed by my excitement)!

Badlands National Park is an amazing sight to see, and I couldn’t wipe the grin off my face as I was driving through the park and stopping at every chance that I could to get a picture of my Badlands at its namesake park! I didn’t research (or do) any off-roading options at or around Badlands because I didn’t bring any recovery gear on our trip, and I was solo with just my family and didn’t want to take any chances when so far away from home. In any case, it was still a great experience!

IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG

We made some other stops in SD (Crazy Horse Mountain, Custer State Park, and the Black Hills Caverns) before finding our way to Hot Springs, SD to stay overnight in a cool little cabin. On the morning of Thursday, June 16th, it was time to start heading west, to get back on track with our original itinerary. We had originally planned to go through the southern-most portions of Yellowstone that day and to then drive through Grand Tetons National Park. From Yellowstone, that would have been an easy hour-long drive or so, but from Hot Springs, SD, it was about 450 miles and over 7 hours.

IMG_4767.JPG

We drove through the Tetons, and they were quite impressive (and I even got to annoy my wife some more by taking some photos of my Bronco in front of the Tetons)! We then made our way down to Jackson, WY for the night.

IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG

After Jackson, WY, on Friday morning it was on to Tropic, Utah, near Bryce Canyon. This leg of our journey was about 520 miles and 8 hours long. Again, the Bronco performed well on this long haul and there were no complaints about its comfort, ride, and handling. On Saturday, the 18th, we drove into Bryce Canyon National Park and enjoyed the amazing views. Much like Badlands, the rock formations and colorings we like something from a Star Wars movie. It’s truly amazing what water, ice, wind and time to do to a natural landscape. I didn’t get many pics of my Bronco here, but I did still snag one.

IMG_4911.JPG
IMG_4960.JPG

After a picnic lunch (which was easy to set up using the tailgate table accessory) we left Bryce Canyon, we did some light off-roading on a trail that leads to Willis Creek Slot Canyon. At least I finally got to go off-roading on our trip, even though it was nothing challenging. It was still fun and the Bronco did great through the sand, gravel, and ruts! My wife and I had always wanted to walk through a slot canyon and this one did not disappoint! When we got back to our AirBnB, I rinsed off my baby and we prepped for our long ride home.

IMG_2249.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG

Finally, on Father’s Day, June 19th, we drove from Tropic to home, another 489 miles and about an 8 hour drive. We stopped in Vegas for some lunch at In-n-Out, since it had been about 2 weeks since we had eaten at one of our SoCal favorites. After fighting through the infamous home-bound Vegas traffic, we finally made it home that afternoon, and of course the first thing I did after unpacking was to take my Bronco to the car wash.

It was quite an adventure and even though we missed out on our main goal of visiting Yellowstone National Park, we still found lots of other things to do and explore. The big bonus to me was being able to drive my Badlands through Badlands. Plus, now we have an excuse to take another similar trip in a year or two, when we feel that things will be settled down in Yellowstone and we can finally get to see all that it has to offer (and I can take a million pics of my Bronco there as well)!

• 2021 Bronco Badlands
  • Non-Sasquatch
  • 2.7 L, 10 Speed Auto
  • Lux Package
  • MIC Top

• States Travelled: CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MY, WY, SD
  • Total Trip Miles: 3,617.8 (includes driving through parks like Badlands, Bryce, etc.)
  • Total Trip Driving Time: 61:06:06 (includes driving through parks and some idling time here and there)
  • Total Trip MPG: 18.0 (I have a lead foot and generally drive at least 10% over the posted speed limit, lol, and I definitely took advantage of the 80 MPH Speed Limit in many of the states that we visited.)

IMG_5168.JPG

The Bronco did really well on the trip and my wife even admitted that I was right to push for us taking that vehicle on our trip. I found the seats to be very comfortable on the long legs of our trip, even more so than on the 2018 F-150 that I traded in for the Bronco. The 2.7 L provided plenty of power uphill and when passing. The transmission never seemed to wander for the right gear at any point, and there was plenty of pep and response when I punched it several times. The Bronco is a great road trip vehicle, and I can’t wait for future trips like the one that we just got back from!
Awesome post and trip!

The family and I are about to head out on something similar this Friday. Trekking from Huntsville, AL to Grand Canyon, Moab, Silverton, CO and back. Can't wait for the adventure and scenery.

Thanks for sharing

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im heading out on the same trip but from East TN here in a few weeks. Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Custer, Glacier NP etc.

OP
OP
bsmith922

bsmith922

Raptor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Awesome post and trip!

The family and I are about to head out on something similar this Friday. Trekking from Huntsville, AL to Grand Canyon, Moab, Silverton, CO and back. Can't wait for the adventure and scenery.

Thanks for sharing
Hope your trip goes as well as mine!

OP
OP
bsmith922

bsmith922

Raptor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Im heading out on the same trip but from East TN here in a few weeks. Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Custer, Glacier NP etc.
Awesome! Have a great trip!

Sponsored
OP
OP
bsmith922

bsmith922

Raptor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I should have also mentioned how nervous I was when we encountered donkeys inside of Custer State Park in SD, as well as bison crossing the road just outside of Custer. All I could think of was that if they did any damage to the Bronco it would probably be several months (years?!?) until replacement parts would arrive. Fortunately, they never really got too close.

Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure IMG_4752.JPG

Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure IMG_4764.JPG

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
my wife even admitted that I was right
If you did not get it in writing, it did not happen.
All kidding aside, it looks like you had a great trip. I do not know when or if we will ever get to go on a trip like that, so I love when people post great write-ups and pics like you did. Thank you!!

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing OP...I love roadies, stories about them, taking the road less traveled, etc. Glad to hear how your Bronco and its comfort held up. I have the same build so good to know it did well.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an east coaster, a trip I made several years ago through Arizona and the national parks in Utah literally altered my DNA. That part of the planet is awe inspiring to say the least. The overwhelming sensation of being able to use the full capacity of one’s lungs in the vast and wide open range is immense. I too am scheduling a trek to put my BL at the BL. Your trip was fantastic. Oh and the photo of your two kids sitting in front of Mt Rushmore got me. And they aren’t even my kids. Lol Thanks for the post.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Family Road Trip to Yellowstone via Bronco Turns into Quite an Adventure IMG_4764.JPG

• 2021 Bronco Badlands
  • Non-Sasquatch
  • 2.7 L, 10 Speed Auto
  • Lux Package
  • MIC Top

• States Travelled: CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, SD

Adventure begins when shit goes sideways 👍🏻

Sponsored

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve been a lifelong sports car nut, always been hitting the track, mountain roads, in something low and fast. But five years ago I took a trip out west with some buddies and got introduced to off roading. It changed my life. I bought a Land Cruiser and have been across this country seven times, creating incredible memories for my family, and it’s only just the beginning. I sold the cruiser and my new Bronco should be here this week. Ready for new memories.

Thanks for the post, sounds like a wonderful trip!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write up! Felt like I’d taken the trip myself!
Thanks!!!!!

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

• 2021 Bronco Badlands
  • Non-Sasquatch
  • 2.7 L, 10 Speed Auto
  • Lux Package
  • MIC Top

• States Travelled: CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, SD

Congrats to you on a fun and safe trip. Sometimes the road closures and detours brings new adventure and it looks like it did for you.
Thanks for sharing your story. My wife and i plan to spend time out west if we ever get our bronco. 606 days and counting with 0 communication from Ford.

MelissaJ19

Outer Banks
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We were supposed to be in Yellowstone on Tuesday June 14-17. Thankfully we had friends that have a cabin 1/2 hour away that tried getting in before we started the trek (from Huntsville Utah) and warned us we might not get in (the park closed the next day). We drove out from Illinois, did a night in Wyoming, 2 nights near park city on the Provo, 2 nights in Huntsville and then from there went to Steamboat since we couldn't do Yellowstone. We did not have the bronco though... It showed up two days after we got back 🤣 We are campers so we booked out campsites back in November so definitely a disappointment that we didn't get that experience. Next year we want to do that and glacier national so we'll make up for not having the bronco this year. I'm glad your family made the most of it!

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Awesome trip and write up. Sucks about Yellowstone.

Surprised you find the Bronco more comfortable than your F150. It’s like pulling teeth to get the wife and kid to agree to take my Bronco on any trip. Her F150 is definitely more comfy and roomy, but not near as cool lol.
Sponsored