First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was wondering if anyone has any feedback from towing a 21ft bunkhouse camper. Dry wright 3,000 or so. There are several brands with the same layout—the Jayco SLx7 is just one I’m looking at renting. I’m remodeling a Casita and turning it into an off-road capable camper, but need something for a road trip in the meantime. Any feedback would be appreciated—or leads for other suitable campers to rent.
And mods—if this belongs in another section feel free to move.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At 3,000lbs I wouldn't have any issue however tongue weight (max 350lbs) is critical. I have no issues towing my side x side (3,500lb trailer & SxS) but I have to shove the SxS to the back of the trailer to get weight off the tongue.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not to pick on you but things like this become very dangerous to everyone on the road.
If you search Youtube for trailer sway accidents, you'll see what I mean. Plus dry weight is exactly that. No water food clothes or anything other than the camper itself. Right there you are pretty much maxed out. Tongue weight is a critical discussion point. The Bronco is not the tool you need.
The suspension is designed to be soft for off roading comfort. Pretty scarry accidents on Youtube.
You'd be best to read info on towing basics and principals.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't want to drag a 21ft sail behind a Bronco. Hopefully you don't encounter any cross winds.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
not to pick on you but things like this become very dangerous to everyone on the road.
If you search Youtube for trailer sway accidents, you'll see what I mean. Plus dry weight is exactly that. No water food clothes or anything other than the camper itself. Right there you are pretty much maxed out. Tongue weight is a critical discussion point. The Bronco is not the tool you need.
The suspension is designed to be soft for off roading comfort. Pretty scarry accidents on Youtube.
You'd be best to read info on towing basics and principals.
Appreciate the sentiment. I’m not a novice when it comes to pulling campers. I’ve towed travel trailers and driven Class A/C RV’s all over the country.
I know I have seen people pulling this layout camper on here. I was just curious about feedback.

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Slide your ball mount with the 2 5/16' ball into the receiver and go ahead and set the tongue of the trailer on the ball. I believe you'll see exactly what I am saying. Send me a photo. ;)

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was wondering if anyone has any feedback from towing a 21ft bunkhouse camper. Dry wright 3,000 or so. There are several brands with the same layout—the Jayco SLx7 is just one I’m looking at renting. I’m remodeling a Casita and turning it into an off-road capable camper, but need something for a road trip in the meantime. Any feedback would be appreciated—or leads for other suitable campers to rent.
And mods—if this belongs in another section feel free to move.

Dry weight is a pretty useless number.

Look at the GVWR of the trailer and take 12.5% of that as a realistic loaded tongue weight, which in turn will likely put you over the available payload of your Bronco and over the max tongue weight of your hitch.

Our first 17' Jayco had a GVWR of 3,750 lbs. The loaded tongue weight was 480 lbs (measured with Sherline tongue weight scale). That was 12.8% of GVWR and we pack extremely light and scaled below GVWR.

Our current 21' Rockwood has a GVWR of 5,692 lbs. The scaled loaded tongue weight was 760 lbs. That's 13.4% of GVWR, again the actual scaled weight is below GVWR. For reference, the advertised "dry tongue weight" was 412 lbs....this is even a more useless number that tricks a lot of people.
Sponsored

Last edited: