Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We returned to Copper Harbor a couple of days later. We drove the Bronco up and down M26 to see the coastline and hit some of the local spots. I'd have to say 26 is one of the favorite roads I've ever driven... the scenery is amazing and the Bronco just soaks up the hills and curves. This road is where I really fell in love with the powertrain and suspension dynamics of the Bronco.

There are lots of places to stop along M26. The geology in this area is volcanic--a Precambrian lava flow created it, supposedly the largest such lava flow that ever happened anywhere on earth. It makes for a very unexpected experience if you haven't ever been up here before.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52221998432_292ef2cff7_o

The Minnetonka in Copper Harbor is a nice close place to stay if you're taking the Isle Royale ferry, and they will let you park for free while you're over at Isle Royale. There's a good gift shop there (and at several other spots in town) for souvenirs.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52223478835_1d610487a9_o

The Eagle Harbor Inn had good food and a good vibe. The pie here was really good too and you can get it to go. There are several really good restaurants in Copper Harbor as well.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52223691659_d7bd8227ba_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52223000221_871abe8573_o

This place had great food too and was out in the middle of nowhere. Needed a reservation but it had an unimpeded 180 degree view from our table of Lake Superior.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52227882283_a6a8bc0050_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52227881686_4df7db442d_o
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We wrapped up the trip with a few days back in Copper Harbor at the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge. This place is really great for a couple of reasons. One, it has an awesome historical lodge and cabins. Two, it is right at the start of a number of the mountain biking trails in Copper Harbor--a lot of professionally built trails. We spent 3 days up here mountain biking and it was really great.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52222008527_57fdcf64b4_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52222017287_a73f890453_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52222023792_b4316d0950_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52223792970_e88df19ec6_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52224033335_e679b73fe7_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52226427475_dc8674d168_o

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52226212999_7878505b96_o

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the way out we left Copper Harbor out the Brockway Mountain drive, a scenic drive which takes you way up above Copper Harbor. In retrospect I wish we had come up here when we first made it to Copper Harbor, because it gives you a real sense of where you are in relation to Lake Superior and the surrounding Peninsula.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52227866166_08467510cc_o

The clearing you can see on the hill just above the Bronco's hood is the course for the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge, where we were just at.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52228139099_cdb6d532bf_o

We came back home down through Wisconsin, a 10 hour drive back, all in one day. That completed the loop and our Grand Tour around the Lake, through the U.P. and back.

Our total stats for the entire trip, 19.4 mpg across 1800+ miles, with the 2.7L, 4.70 ring gear, 35's is not bad at all! Stunned actually! I will take it. It's comfortable to tour in, fun to drive, and pretty efficient at hauling a bunch of people and stuff around.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.30.03 PM

We'll be back again, the U.P. is great.

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52221995897_c000df5065_o

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am really loving that Bronco you've got there! We have a BL in that color coming very soon (I hope). The UP is some of the most beautiful countryside anywhere and the beaches on the West coast of Michigan and along both sides of the UP are some of the best in the world (and shark-free to boot!). Sounds like a fantastic trip.
Are you going to check out Pictured Rocks?
You will love it! And I agree with you about the U.P., it's amazing country. We did spend time in Pictured Rocks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had mine up there at Brockway Mountain end of October last year. My daughter is a student at Michigan Tech in Houghton....

Ford Bronco First Big Road Trip: Michigan Upper Peninsula to Copper Harbor & Isle Royale 52221995897_c000df5065_o

Wow awesome! Looks like I need to pay a visit back up there when the colors change! Thanks for sharing it!

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is an island in a lake on Isle Royal (Ryan Island) that has the distinction of being the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the world.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is an island in a lake on Isle Royal (Ryan Island) that has the distinction of being the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the world.
It blew my mind how much there is to do and see out there. It really is spectacular.

Last edited: