securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If it cute and priced right those Jimneys will sell like hotcakes ...Guaranteed!!!
From reviews I've seen, I'm not so sure.

People buying them primarily as a small off roader that is streetable would snap them up (that's why I'm in lurv with them).

People buying them as a daily driver that they can but probably never will off road will kill their reputation, which is basically what happened with the previous run of Suzuki SUVs in the US. Well, that and rollover issues, because evidently people want to be safe or something.

According to the reviews I've seen, they're gutless (1.5L NA engine that puts out 105 PS, which is communist horsepower, comes out to 103.564 HP, but the Wikipedia article on the Jimny says the K15B puts out 100.5 HP @6k RPM and 101.8 lb ft torque at 4400 RPM), steering is "vague," and the ride is rough (duh, it's SFA).

Then again, MSRP for a top trim Suzuki Jimny is $27,990 in Australian dollars (sorry, that's the market I could find numbers for). Converted to US dollars, that's $17,054.73 (as I type this, exchange rates fluctuate, etc.), which is pretty damn attractive. If they were selling these things for less than $20,000 in the US, they'd probably still have trouble keeping them on the shelves.

Problem is, they probably won't pass US crash and emissions standards, and the mods required to get them there would probably push them into the $23,000-$28,000 range. The lower end of that might work out. I, personally, wouldn't pay more than $25,000 for a fully loaded Jimny, no matter how much I lust after one, and even that's probably a bit ambitious.
Sponsored

Randy H.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK, 1965 Corvair corsa, 2015 RAM
It would be a great little offroad vehicle to flat tow behind a small RV. My 2 door JK weights almost twice as much.

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

From reviews I've seen, I'm not so sure.

People buying them primarily as a small off roader that is streetable would snap them up (that's why I'm in lurv with them).

People buying them as a daily driver that they can but probably never will off road will kill their reputation, which is basically what happened with the previous run of Suzuki SUVs in the US. Well, that and rollover issues, because evidently people want to be safe or something.

According to the reviews I've seen, they're gutless (1.5L NA engine that puts out 105 PS, which is communist horsepower, comes out to 103.564 HP, but the Wikipedia article on the Jimny says the K15B puts out 100.5 HP @6k RPM and 101.8 lb ft torque at 4400 RPM), steering is "vague," and the ride is rough (duh, it's SFA).

Then again, MSRP for a top trim Suzuki Jimny is $27,990 in Australian dollars (sorry, that's the market I could find numbers for). Converted to US dollars, that's $17,054.73 (as I type this, exchange rates fluctuate, etc.), which is pretty damn attractive. If they were selling these things for less than $20,000 in the US, they'd probably still have trouble keeping them on the shelves.

Problem is, they probably won't pass US crash and emissions standards, and the mods required to get them there would probably push them into the $23,000-$28,000 range. The lower end of that might work out. I, personally, wouldn't pay more than $25,000 for a fully loaded Jimny, no matter how much I lust after one, and even that's probably a bit ambitious.
I am just trying to figure out how the Scion IQ and Smart Four passed crash tests giving their size, shape and weight. I did sit in a Japanese spec Jimny when I was in Japan and feel in love with it. My only issue were that the seats lacked multiple adjustments. Toyota could easily import it as some Scion model along with the Swift. Maybe roll cage reinforcements would help it pass with a RAV4 engine.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am just trying to figure out how the Scion IQ and Smart Four passed crash tests giving their size, shape and weight. I did sit in a Japanese spec Jimny when I was in Japan and feel in love with it. My only issue were that the seats lacked multiple adjustments. Toyota could easily import it as some Scion model along with the Swift. Maybe roll cage reinforcements would help it pass with a RAV4 engine.
Oh, man! The RAV4 engine would be great in the Jimny!

The Global Jimny comes with a 1.5L engine that makes 100.5 HP and 101.8 lb.-ft. of torque and a max curb weight of 2502 pounds for power and torque-to-weight ratios of 0.041.

The RAV4's base engine is a 2.0L engine that makes 169 HP and 150 lb.-ft. of torque. If you could keep the curb weight pretty close to the same, you'd be looking at a power ratio of 0.068 and a torque ratio of 0.60. Even if you pushed the weight up another 100 pounds, you'd be looking at a power ratio of 0.065 and a torque ratio of 0.058.

The little Jimny would be amazing for something in that size category. Packaging would be the biggest issue. I'm not sure if the RAV4's 2.0 would even fit. I'd be surprised if the available 2.5L would fit, but if it could be made to work, it would be an absolute beast with a power ratio of 0.078 and torque ratio of 0.071.

Throw in a couple of cup holders, and I'm sold!

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah, totally. That's the image they are going for. But they end up being used by people for regular family vehicles with more curb appeal, especially the 4 door version. The Jimny will never be able to do that in its current form. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very cool little thing, I just couldn't see it selling much in North America where we like big numbers.
Parents would buy this for the youngsters. And for resale values, No worries, the old samurai crews are begging its return. My Brother in law had one tricked out on 35” I think. Those small engines can handle it with proper gearing.
Sponsored

Last edited: