Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a Badlands on reserve. With that being said I'm constantly going back and forth between swapping to a BD.
For the time being it will be my wife's daily driver and baby hauler as we're expecting our first. However I would love to get into overlanding in the not so distant future and am curious if the BD would be as capable without the front lockers and SBdisco?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m no overlanding expert by any means but there’s some articles and YouTube videos out there that discuss this. Most of them summarize that you do not need any lockers. What you DO NEED is recovery gear. That being said, I’ve never heard any overlanding expert say that they needed a front locker.

Hell look at 4Runners. A very popular overland vehicle and doesn’t have front lockers. You’ll be plenty fine with a BD as long as you’re not tackling crazy obstacles. Most obstacles don’t require a front locker. As for the sway bar disconnect, someone else on the forum will have to advise you there.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you need to DC your sway bar, you still can. Should take 10 minutes with a ratchet and wrench. (Keep in mind this is in theory, don’t think any of us have actually seen where the end links attach and how easy they’ll be to access with the body on). Aftermarket will come out with quick disconnects most likely. The badlands SBD is just a convenience feature.

As far as lockers go, they are serious pieces of equipment for rough terrain. Depending on what your trails look like I’d venture to say that when you’re first starting out you probably won’t need a front locker as well as a rear if you’re taking more moderate trails.

HOWEVER, if you end up getting into the hobby hardcore then you might find yourself wishing you had specced a front locker in the future. All depends on if you’re willing to spend the price gap to future proof. Locker can be added aftermarket but I’m not familiar with this platform enough to know how easy it is to do.

OP
OP
BroncoHUD

BroncoHUD

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m no overlanding expert by any means but there’s some articles and YouTube videos out there that discuss this. Most of them summarize that you do not need any lockers. What you DO NEED is recovery gear. That being said, I’ve never heard any overlanding expert say that they needed a front locker.

Hell look at 4Runners. A very popular overland vehicle and doesn’t have front lockers. You’ll be plenty fine with a BD as long as you’re not tackling crazy obstacles. Most obstacles don’t require a front locker. As for the sway bar disconnect, someone else on the forum will have to advise you there.
Good point on the 4runner. I didn't even think about that.

Orbiter

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Badlands overlander Ford showed is intended to sell you on the trim plus all the accessories. Of course they will bring out their biggest and baddest version. I'm not an experienced overlander but I'd say BD will be more than capable for most adventures.

Sponsored

O-=====-O

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"Overlanding" doesn't need a certain vehicle.

It depends where you are taking it. Forest roads? Rubicon? Patagonia? We need more information on where you want to go.

Most of the time dudes going "overlanding" aren't doing much other than camping down a dirt road. 4x4 and a sleeping bag needed at most.

If you're getting out there a rear locker may serve you well.

If you're really getting out there you don't want much. Less to break the better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoHUD

BroncoHUD

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you need to DC your sway bar, you still can. Should take 10 minutes with a ratchet and wrench. (Keep in mind this is in theory, don’t think any of us have actually seen where the end links attach and how easy they’ll be to access with the body on). Aftermarket will come out with quick disconnects most likely. The badlands SBD is just a convenience feature.

As far as lockers go, they are serious pieces of equipment for rough terrain. Depending on what your trails look like I’d venture to say that when you’re first starting out you probably won’t need a front locker as well as a rear if you’re taking more moderate trails.

HOWEVER, if you end up getting into the hobby hardcore then you might find yourself wishing you had specced a front locker in the future. All depends on if you’re willing to spend the price gap to future proof. Locker can be added aftermarket but I’m not familiar with this platform enough to know how easy it is to do.
I'm not certain of anything the future holds as far as trail difficulty lol I'd love to go out west and tackle some trails out there. I carry the mindset of having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
"Overlanding" doesn't need a certain vehicle.

It depends where you are taking it. Forest roads? Rubicon? Patagonia? We need more information on where you want to go.

Most of the time dudes going "overlanding" aren't doing much other than camping down a dirt road. 4x4 and a sleeping bag needed at most.

If you're getting out there a rear locker may serve you well.

If you're really getting out there you don't want much. Less to break the other.
It sounds like just camping and having a road trip. Is this some wannabe new trend thing for people that aren't outdoorsy to feel outdoorsy?

I don't mind camping per say but I "camped" way too much for my liking in the Marines so I'll sleep in my bed often as I can!

O-=====-O

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It sounds like just camping and having a road trip. Is this some wannabe new trend thing for people that aren't outdoorsy to feel outdoorsy?
Depends on your definition. It's not a new trend by any means but it' new for it to be so trendy.

For some it's a reason to buy some new trick stuff. For some it's to travel the world.

The overland rig they showed yesterday is not, what I personally, would take for my idea of overlanding.
Sponsored