First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
In this COVID world, where I have been working remotely without plane travel for 6 months+, I am dreaming of Overlanding. My definition of this is road tripping cross country and taking dirt roads to semi-remote places (nothing too serious), and camping overnight. Occasionally, I would check into a hotel and stay in civilizaton as well.

Not sure if it is just a pipe dream because of the situation I am in or if this might actually happen.

Originally I thought I was locked into the concept of just getting the base 2-door Manual Bronco (which would always come back to home or a hotel) and then doing minor aftermarket upgrades over time. Then this board has influenced me to consider getting the Sasquatch package.

But now, instead, I am thinking of getting that trailer hitch, a very small sleeper camper to tow and just getting out there. Total Budget (including the Bronco) in the low 40s, which would mean I would have to get a trailer for under $10K and no Sasquatch.

My Questions (hoping that you can answer at least some of them...):
  1. How many of you have done true cross country overlanding? Can you describe what you did?
  2. What are the mental/financial/physical hurdles do you think that I need to get over to be a overlander?
  3. How did you get started? What would you recommend for me?
  4. I don't want a tent, I want an enclosed camper. Do you have any specific recommendations that would work with Broncos towing capacity?
  5. Do I need a bathroom in this camper? Is it more convenient to have one and maintain it or not have one at all? What about the kitchen situation?
  6. Is a Base 2-Door Bronco without the Sasquatch package the right vehicle? Should at least upgrade the wheels? What else?
  7. Are there hidden costs that am missing?
  8. What question should I have asked?
Sponsored

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recommend getting what you want in the Bronco, then saving for a trailer, and rent a trailer until you save enough to buy it. You may never end up buying one if you determine you can live without it (due to rooftop tent on bronco; if we can ever get around roof weight limit) and don't want to store it/maintain it.

Edit: Basically, don't compromise your bronco build so that you can afford a trailer. You don't even know if you are going to like overlanding. Just rent until you can afford to buy a trailer.

Last edited:

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In this COVID world, where I have been working remotely without plane travel for 6 months+, I am dreaming of Overlanding. My definition of this is road tripping cross country and taking dirt roads to semi-remote places (nothing too serious), and camping overnight. Occasionally, I would check into a hotel and stay in civilizaton as well.

Not sure if it is just a pipe dream because of the situation I am in or if this might actually happen.

Originally I thought I was locked into the concept of just getting the base 2-door Manual Bronco (which would always come back to home or a hotel) and then doing minor aftermarket upgrades over time. Then this board has influenced me to consider getting the Sasquatch package.

But now, instead, I am thinking of getting that trailer hitch, a very small sleeper camper to tow and just getting out there. Total Budget (including the Bronco) in the low 40s, which would mean I would have to get a trailer for under $10K and no Sasquatch.
Buy a base mansquatch and one of either of these..
https://www.weeroll.com/adventure-trailer
http://www.runawaycampers.com/rangerunner

Pick the options you want or need, and start small. You can definitely get both for your low 40's budget..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recommend getting what you want in the Bronco, then saving for a trailer, and rent a trailer until you save enough to buy it. You may never end up buying one if you determine you can live without it (due to rooftop tent on bronco; if we can ever get around roof weight limit) and don't want to store it/maintain it.

Edit: Basically, don't compromise your bronco build so that you can afford a trailer. You don't even know if you are going to like overlanding. Just rent until you can afford to buy a trailer.
Thanks, but I am wondering if the Sasquatch would need to be deleted if I am going 1000s of miles on my Bronco over the span of 1-2 weeks a time. The use case will now be different. I would probably need more comfort on regular roads, and would have to be willing to sacrifice rock climbing, etc.

Renting seems fine, though having a brand new one to match the Bronco is obviously a cool thought.

Last edited:

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, but I am wondering if the Sasquatch would need to be deleted if I am going 1000s of miles on my Bronco over the span of 1-2 weeks a time. The use case will not be different. I would probably need more comfort on regular roads, and would have to be willing to sacrifice rock climbing, etc.

Renting seems fine, though having a brand new one to match the Bronco is obviously a cool thought.
I don't think sasquatch is going to significantly affect ride quality. If anything it would be the tires which aren't supposed to be that aggressive. You can always change tires.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also plan on doing some overlanding, but more like 3-day trips exploring and camping. I have zero experience. I watch a lot of youtube, specifically Trailrecon and Last Line of Defense and Venture4wd, to get ideas. Lot of vids on beginner overlanding, ideas on definite items to take, and whats not necessary. All depends on what your goals are.

I am initially planning on Base 2-dr manual, no Sasquatch. Mostly easy to moderate trails, no technical or rock crawling. First purchase is a roof top camper (maybe 2 of us at the most). Your needs may dictate a pull-camper. Don't go crazy and break the bank buying a ton of stuff. Start minimal and add on from there. Rent equipment, you may find you don't need certain items. Like you said, you'd be doing hotels too, maybe as a supplement, kind of a stop-gap to regroup.

My first trip will be my back yard, test out the rtt and equipment, then head out to trails and state parks around MN. Eventually work my way cross country west. I do not plan on winter camping (maybe in AZ), I've had enough of the cold and snow.

Can't wait to get started.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is a great series on youtube called The Road Chose Me. Tons of videos about overloading. The guy uses a Jeep but that does not matter.
Thanks! I just realized that I watched this guy's review of the Bronco a few weeks ago. I will see his other videos now.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I also plan on doing some overlanding, but more like 3-day trips exploring and camping. I have zero experience. I watch a lot of youtube, specifically Trailrecon and Last Line of Defense and Venture4wd, to get ideas. Lot of vids on beginner overlanding, ideas on definite items to take, and whats not necessary. All depends on what your goals are.

I am initially planning on Base 2-dr manual, no Sasquatch. Mostly easy to moderate trails, no technical or rock crawling. First purchase is a roof top camper (maybe 2 of us at the most). Your needs may dictate a pull-camper. Don't go crazy and break the bank buying a ton of stuff. Start minimal and add on from there. Rent equipment, you may find you don't need certain items. Like you said, you'd be doing hotels too, maybe as a supplement, kind of a stop-gap to regroup.

My first trip will be my back yard, test out the rtt and equipment, then head out to trails and state parks around MN. Eventually work my way cross country west. I do not plan on winter camping (maybe in AZ), I've had enough of the cold and snow.

Can't wait to get started.
Thanks for the reply. I have not gotten to the point that I think the two of us can just do a tent. I feel like we at least need a camper to sleep in not a bathroom. Renting makes sense.

Canuck

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 10th anniversary rubicon unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ursa Minor is coming out with a roof replacement, like the Jeeps. (Like what is on the Jeep in the venture4wd videos) it will be for the 4 door and possibly the 2 door. That will keep the drag down from a rtt as well as being able to get to it from inside the vehicle.

Hulkbuster19

Badlands
First Name
Mike Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs