Overlanding in a badlands 2 door (982lb payload)

Apples

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Lexus GX470
so its not going to snap the car suspension if im loaded to say 1100 or something?
The thing with suspension is, it can take a lot of abuse. But the more abuse and work you make it do the less comfortable you're going to be as it does it. If you're planning to load the truck to bear, I would definitely look into upgrading the suspension.

Advertisement

4everbored

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Don't forget to subtract your body weight from the payload.

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
this really doesnt help at all. Im asking experienced overlanders what their opinion is of the payload and if its doable or if its simply too small a payload for real overlanding trips

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
My wife and I motorcycle camp and everything we take fits in this bag. It’s all lightweight backpacking gear. Tent, sleeping bag, cookware, etc. weighs around 60 pounds.
D3FEDE80-FDF4-4F58-A698-1702E9E8EB85.png

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 S60 T6 AWD / 2018 Subaru Outback Limited
Why am I the only one that is catching this error - 982 payload...That's the max payload for the 2.7 BL (non sasquatch, no options). You said you are getting sasquatch? The 2.7 BL is bracketed at 4877-5092. If you're sasquatched, and adding a few other things, you'll probably be at 5,000 or higher, with a payload of 860 or less (5860 GVWR).

The most important thing is estimating where you build falls within min to max curb weight depending on whats still available (not locked out on B&P) that you are NOT getting. What will help you too is if you look to the 4 door, there are more items locked out, and the curb weight ranges by 164 lbs, vs the 2 door by 215 lbs. That should help you triangulate some if you mess around on BnP with the 2 door and 4 door to isolate what certain options weigh.

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
You don’t need 80% of the crap that you think you need. If you are hauling around more than 100lbs of overlanding gear, you’re taking too much stuff.

AcesandEights

Badlands
First Name
Ace!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 or 2017 Ford
Overlanding isn't static. You don't need all of the same gear/equipment you see on the next guy's rig. Do you need 20 gallons of fuel or 12 gallons? Do you need five gallons of water or 20 gallons of water? Do you need a water filter and a one gallon container, that's collapsible?

You need what you need, so asking others isn't as beneficial as it might seem. I've seen guys on Youtube that have freezers because they want ice cream at the end of a long day. I've seen guys overland in a Subaru, so it boils down to the math, which it seems you hate doing. You have to figure out what you need to take, not what the guy with the Tacoma or Land Cruiser takes. You might as well asked what size shirt you need, without telling anyone if you're a man or woman, your height or your weight. You heard of a guy that wears a shirt and you want to buy one? Maybe you saw a person swimming and you want to know what swimming suit you need? You probably need the scoop neck one that's open in the back, unless you don't.

The answer is really easy, the payload is nothing to worry about, unless you take too much stuff. If your stuff weighs more than the payload, you probably should get a different vehicle, or change the Bronco in ways that increase the carrying capacity. If you have less stuff, then just load up and go. Easy-peasy. I hope that helps indeedy!

Advertisement

Advertisement