Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately JD Power is all about marketing. To win a JD Power award, you just need to pay JD Power. Maybe that's why he doesn't work there anymore.
Sponsored

Reactions: Cat

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford has hired a new executive director of quality, Josh Halliburton, in a newly created position under CEO Jim Farley.

This story seems to have gone under the radar until this week when Ford has been making the press with a number of personnel changes. This is great news, Jeep did the same thing back in 2014 with the quality having attained joke status. Over the last few years reviews point to improved quality at Jeep so I'm hopeful Ford can achieve the same kind of turnaround.

Ford Quality Issues Now Being Tackled By Former J.D. Power Executive

Ford Bronco, Ranger Plant Manager No Longer With Company

'Black eye for the company': How Ford is fixing spate of quality problems

Ford Vows to Clean Up Quality as Recalls Hit Hard
How about Ford hire a "logistics Czar" . Seems to be more of a pressing issue at the moment.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

While some get triggered by the name J.D.Power, it's interesting what a quick google search reveals about the breadth of the company. Not only are they a survey company we all know but they also are an Automotive Product Consulting company. So it turns out the surveys help sell consulting services, smart business plan.

Automotive Consulting Solutions
- Improve product quality, lower warranty costs, and improve customer satisfaction

Quality System Development & Management
Production Process & Quality Improvements
Product Planning, Manufacturing & Engineering
Quality System Development & Management
Technology Development & Implementation
Production Process & Quality Improvements

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jesus... give the guy a chance already.

While the results remain to be seen, I see this as a huge move for several reasons:

1. In even publicly acknowledging there's a problem, while everyone has seen it for quite some time, this is still a HUGE step for a major corporation to admit, as the admission will reflect ownership of several generations of bad decisions.

2. Bringing in someone from outside the company, who is not a home grown "yes man" tied to some of those earlier bad decisions gives him a little more autonomy to point them out as opposed to having to "die with the lie" or remaining married to the bad decision that burned them in the first place

3. His ties to J.D. Power brings with it a combination of knowledge of what both industry insiders AND the public both say, good and bad, which allows him to prioritize fixing things that matter to the consumers over some that might only matter to the company or to him. He likely knows he can't fix everything, but it gives him knowledge of areas to focus on as well as working knowledge of consumer forums and others like this that provide insight from OUR optic. For example, when taking on a new assignment, I sit down with my key stakeholders and ask them to identify their top three things our team or program is doing right from their optic and the top three things from their position we need to work on. In seeking the positives, I'm not looking for accolades, but more so identifying areas not to screw with, even if I personally may not like them.... basically don't f**k with something that is working. Getting their feedback across the board, especially on the improvement areas you start seeing common trends from various mission partners that tells you what to work on first.

So yes, in a sense, it is a PR move. But isn't everything? One of the biggest issues to fix is trust, and PR, to include reporting on the bad goes a long way toward that. Think of it like a sports team hiring a new coach... the ultimate goal is to win, but making the change is fundamental PR from the start.

Give him a chance and lets see how he does. Then bash him or commend him as necessary. You may disagree with the change, but it's a good start.
Ford needs to get back to “Quality is Job 1.” Cheap is expensive.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How about Ford hire a "logistics Czar" . Seems to be more of a pressing issue at the moment.
Interesting point, makes you wonder if Mud Mountain storage is for more than just Bronco's missing modules, perhaps some have serious and significant quality flaws that Ford is trying to come up with fixes for in lieu of scraping them?

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Interesting point, makes you wonder if Mud Mountain storage is for more than just Bronco's missing modules, perhaps some have serious and significant quality flaws that Ford is trying to come up with fixes for in lieu of scraping them?
Good point. And let's face it there are all the issues with the top's

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That’s awesome to hear across the board. It’s sad when we often think of reliable vehicles mostly coming from overseas ie Honda and Toyota, even Kia recently with 100k mile warranties. I certainly would like to see ford and Chevy at the forefront of quality.
When ol’ Henry ran the company, Ford was vertically integrated from top to bottom. Out sourcing and “just in time” manufacturing changed quality results for the worse.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford dropped that slogan back in 1998, we now know why.
Too bad they didn’t follow through with their marketing slogan.

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When ol’ Henry ran the company, Ford was vertically integrated from top to bottom.
Mostly true, but not entirely true. Stories about “ol‘ Henry”, one of the most successful entrepreneurs of his era, tend to contain a mixture of facts, legends, and outright myths.

Even Henry Ford was not able to conquer the natural rubber cartel, which controlled raw materials supplies for making automotive tires, although he tried valiantly. That lengthy and expensive project in the middle of the Amazon jungle, dubbed “Fordlandia”, was one of his biggest failures.

Bronco Snow Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150, 2009 GT500, 2018 POS Forester
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I recall reading a few years back, the average age of Ford's lineup was 6 years. At the time, management decided they needed to reduce this number and has been successful with Ford now having the lowest lineup age. Unfortunately, this couldn't have come at a worse time. Going forward, Ford needs to simplify their new offerings to minimize quality issues and supply constraints.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mostly true, but not entirely true. Stories about “ol‘ Henry”, one of the most successful entrepreneurs of his era, tend to contain a mixture of facts, legends, and outright myths.

Even Henry Ford was not able to conquer the natural rubber cartel, which controlled raw materials supplies for making automotive tires, although he tried valiantly. That lengthy and expensive project in the middle of the Amazon jungle, dubbed “Fordlandia”, was one of his biggest failures.

I stand corrected, Ford wasn’t vertically integrated 💯 %, but they were light years more integrated than today’s OEM’s. I think Tesla is probably the best example of a modern day vertically integrated manufacturer. Even still, they’ve had their own quality problems. VI doesn’t guarantee top quality, great engineering and critical inspection will probably deliver better results.
I recall reading a few years back, the average age of Ford's lineup was 6 years. At the time, management decided they needed to reduce this number and has been successful with Ford now having the lowest lineup age. Unfortunately, this couldn't have come at a worse time. Going forward, Ford needs to simplify their new offerings to minimize quality issues and supply constraints.
I agree. I was kind of surprised when they reintroduced the Bronco with seven different variants. KISS: keep it simple stupid.

Last edited:

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe he can figure out why they can't align all 4 doors on my Ranger corrently so they don't stick out. And the two driver side doors on my Bronco.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.