Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 04 Lightning,29AModel, 21 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pros and cons of renewing connected navigation? I did it for a year and trying to decide if I should renew?
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use connected NAV fairly often, so I renewed it. You might think CarPlay/Android Auto and a mapping system would get it done, but I'm often on the road for work and on WebEx and Zoom calls while driving and I've found that running mapping while those are going really is a pain in the butt. So I leave Carplay the normal size and put ford maps on the right side

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think this all comes down to personal preference, and I for one use it more than I thought I would, so when the time comes, I will probably renew it.

BigCatKale

Everglades
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Everglades / 2021 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If the maps updated more frequently to know where my now year-old address is, that every other map app finds with ease, I would consider it. But if the delays are that long between, it’s hard to justify the expense vs other solutions for connected navigation in my opinion.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you did not purchase the built-in navigation, when your connection ends, you're navigation stops working.

It'll show you a map... But From my understanding it won't provide you directions.

It is why I paid extra for the built-in navigation. Now I do I get 3 years subscription, but when this subscription ends, the navigation continues to work... Just without updates.

Sponsored

Stick in the Mud

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another option: TomTom app with CarPlay. Offline maps. $25/yr.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you did not purchase the built-in navigation, when your connection ends, you're navigation stops working.

It'll show you a map... But From my understanding it won't provide you directions.

It is why I paid extra for the built-in navigation. Now I do I get 3 years subscription, but when this subscription ends, the navigation continues to work... Just without updates.
Wait, so you are saying all the subscription pays for is map updates? It continues to work but with no updates?
I guess for legal reasons that might make sense instead of totally shutting it down

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wait, so you are saying all the subscription pays for is map updates? It continues to work but with no updates?
I guess for legal reasons that might make sense instead of totally shutting it down
No. The subscription pays not just for updates but also functionality. No subscription, then it dumbs down with no nav(point-to-point) functionality and no updates. Can't search for nearby attractions. etc. It will just show a map.

But the Connected Built-In Nav option, give 3yrs of service. At the end of that service, if no ongoing subscription is paid, it will continue to work without map updates.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No. The subscription pays not just for updates but also functionality. No subscription, then it dumbs down with no nav(point-to-point) functionality and no updates. Can't search for nearby attractions. etc. It will just show a map.

But the Connected Built-In Nav option, give 3yrs of service. At the end of that service, if no ongoing subscription is paid, it will continue to work without map updates.
Got it..thank you!

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I didn't renew mine. I don't see the point, considering that I have literally never used any of the features, and what is offered is not better than Google Maps or Waze.

JR

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I didn't renew mine. I don't see the point, considering that I have literally never used any of the features, and what is offered is not better than Google Maps or Waze.

JR
Some people just really love to use their phone... I mean it's obviously a preference, because I can't stand to use my phone... I want my phone to be a phone, not be the infotainment center of my vehicle :)

Personally I very much enjoyed Ford's nav so far. Use it constantly. Just one of the features I really enjoy, is the ability to use the voice button on the steering wheel to add waypoints.

For example, I was just using the nav a couple of days ago to go explore. No particular destination... Just pull up the map found an area I wanted to go to, touch the screen at that point and chose navigate there. While I was driving, I got hungry, so I just press the steering wheel button and said take me to In-N-Out hamburger... The system gave me a list, I told it which number I wanted, and it asked me if I wanted to add this as a waypoint... Beautiful

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did my Nav updates yesterday - check it out.

Ford Bronco Ford Nav renew 1674051171305

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some people just really love to use their phone... I mean it's obviously a preference, because I can't stand to use my phone... I want my phone to be a phone, not be the infotainment center of my vehicle :)

Personally I very much enjoyed Ford's nav so far. Use it constantly. Just one of the features I really enjoy, is the ability to use the voice button on the steering wheel to add waypoints.

For example, I was just using the nav a couple of days ago to go explore. No particular destination... Just pull up the map found an area I wanted to go to, touch the screen at that point and chose navigate there. While I was driving, I got hungry, so I just press the steering wheel button and said take me to In-N-Out hamburger... The system gave me a list, I told it which number I wanted, and it asked me if I wanted to add this as a waypoint... Beautiful
I mean, to each their own. My phone does my navigation, music and audio books, as well as making phone calls and notifying me of texts/Signal messages. I trust Google to actually update their software in a timely fashion and give me the most up-to-date maps, whereas Ford makes map updates like once a year, if that. Plus, they want you to pay for it.

As for voice, I can do that, too, just by pushing the microphone button on the screen, and I now have Google Assistant, which has a LOT more functionality than the Ford voice assistant.

Whatever works for you, though!

JR
Sponsored