Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250 lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So. I should have questioned why Ford isn’t using actual GPS in the vehicle considering many users will be using in wilderness type areas without service Seems counterproductive Maybe bordering dumb

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford says they work the same, only difference is 90 days versus 3 years.

FBABEE11-5AC2-42F6-93C5-46691FF27CFA.jpeg

https://www.ford.com/technology/sync/
There's some very long threads that talk about this very topic. Basically the Ford's website is about as informative as we've all come to expect.

One of their navigation systems requires a cell phone and will stop working once your subscription has expired.

The other one does not and will continue to work, although not get updated, once your subscription expires.

Like most people have said, typically folks use their phone and Google maps are whatever.

Hell, If you're really going off-roading, you need to get Gaia which will work as long as your phone can get GPS signal, cell towers not needed.

I've added the built-in navigation, because I personally like using my car navigation and not tying up my phone. I wanted to work without paying an ongoing subscription.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hell, If you're really going off-roading, you need to get Gaia which will work as long as your phone can get GPS signal, cell towers not needed.
Ford says this is how their navigation works and it’s not true. You will get a blank screen well before you reach anything “wild.” Downloading maps beforehand in All Trails, or similar app, is the way to go.

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One of their navigation systems requires a cell phone and will stop working once your subscription has expired.

The other one does not and will continue to work, although not get updated, once your subscription expires.
Thats not what Ford said. Where is this info found? Thanks!

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford says this is how their navigation works and it’s not true. You will get a blank screen well before you reach anything “wild.” Downloading maps beforehand in All Trails, or similar app, is the way to go.
Do you have the built-in navigation or the connected navigation?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have the built-in navigation or the connected navigation?
Connected. They’re both called connected, btw, just the 3 year one is called connected built-in.

I don’t understand why we would think there’s a difference in functionality when Ford says there isn’t a difference but I’ll look at the thread.

I similarly don’t understand why this thread assumes that there is a difference when not a single person has come here and said that my experience is not like their experience because they have the built in connected.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Connected. They’re both called connected, btw, just the 3 year one is called connected built-in.

I don’t understand why we would think there’s a difference in functionality when Ford says there isn’t a difference but I’ll look at the thread.

I similarly don’t understand why this thread assumes that there is a difference when not a single person has come here and said that my experience is not like their experience because they have the built in connected.
Honestly I don't think very many people paid the extra $700, And a couple people that I spoke to that had ordered LUX didn't even know they had it.

Most, simply use their phones connected to their vehicles So they don't tend to mess around too much with vehicle-based navigation.

For me, on the other hand, I hate tying up my phone. Hell I wish the Ford system had the ability to run Giai directly so I wouldn't even need extra hardware.

Ford does a lot of things, but to charge someone $700 just so they can buy a 3-year subscription up front seems a little far-fetched. There's more to it.

Last edited:

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My nav (Lux) seems to be right up to date, it even changes construction zones from one day to the next.
Sponsored