First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk wrangler (bronco on order)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m at 35k and have had two front pinion seals replaced. Shop foreman did the last one about 5k ago. I noticed that when I drive in 4A (sport, slippery) it seems to accelerate the leak. Dealer suggested that potentially the front diff M210) isn’t vented properly and creates too much pressure at highway speeds for the seal. And once the seal is compromised, the leak just gets increasingly worse. I’m not a Ford Tech but maybe one of the local forum Techs may have a theory.
Yeah, I kinda have a theory it's the gear ratio. 4.7 gearing means that driveline is doing 4.7 rotations per one revolution of the tire. That baby singing at highway speeds, minor wobble of the yoke would wipe that seal right out. Surely rotating that fast could be building pressure as well. Just my opinion, I'm no tech
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m at 35k and have had two front pinion seals replaced. Shop foreman did the last one about 5k ago. I noticed that when I drive in 4A (sport, slippery) it seems to accelerate the leak. Dealer suggested that potentially the front diff M210) isn’t vented properly and creates too much pressure at highway speeds for the seal. And once the seal is compromised, the leak just gets increasingly worse. I’m not a Ford Tech but maybe one of the local forum Techs may have a theory.
Why didn't dealer check to see if vent was block/clogged??? Don't see it being too difficult to diagnose that issue. Pull breather tube, blow though breather tube, then use mirror and flashlight and check for blockage in diff housing. If they suspect that, why not check it?

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good question. The foreman did not think the issue was that the vent was blocked rather, the vent is not big enough to relieve the pressure buildup that occurs in 4A at highway speeds. Having said that, this seal replacement seems to have lasted more than the others - I almost at 40k. To your point though, one would think there would have been diff fluid spewing from the vent tube before the pinion seal gave out. I love my Bronco but…there’s a list of these types of things that make me wonder about long-term reliability. Don’t get me started on the headlights - a wear item with no replaceable bulb. $900-$1000 to replace the headlight when it burns out. Maybe I’m spoiled by my wife’s tricked out GX 470…

hiyalouis

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed slow leak when doing oil change at 20k for ‘23 BD. dealership confirmed its a seal issue and will replace with a new seal tomorrow. wondering what would constitute a complete replacement of the front axle center section assembly instead of just the seal.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I noticed slow leak when doing oil change at 20k for ‘23 BD. dealership confirmed its a seal issue and will replace with a new seal tomorrow. wondering what would constitute a complete replacement of the front axle center section assembly instead of just the seal.

Seal replacement success vs parts availability for entire assembly

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just had my front diff pinion replaced on warranty. Service writer blamed the pressing of the seal when installed at the factory. He also said he hadn't seen another Bronco with it, but did see it on the Explorers and F-150s I think?

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just had my front diff pinion replaced on warranty. Service writer blamed the pressing of the seal when installed at the factory. He also said he hadn't seen another Bronco with it, but did see it on the Explorers and F-150s I think?
Probably slow leaks are not going to be found by those not changing their oil. i had multiple leaks. The techs follow a service guide to determine which fix to attempt.

bobbib

Badlands
First Name
Bobbi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a problem with rear diff leaking. Dealer has given me the run around for 6 months about fixing it. They say they need a part that is apparently on back order. I am about to flip to 36,000. Any advice on what to do? Is this even the correct forum to be in? Thanks for any help I can get! I have a 22 badlands sas.

modshiva

Everglades
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pathfinder
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Just had my 22 Badlands pinion seal replaced for the leak at 22k. Took about 2 weeks for part to come in to dealership. For those wondering about driving with the leak, this is what the service advisor told me... you will be fine unless you're wanting to engage 4 wheel drive. I do believe, for me at least, this has been the cause of the burning smell I've had since last November and would have started at 14k.
Just had my front diff pinion seal replaced at just over 23K on my 2022 Everglades. I also believe it was the source of the burning smell that I would always smell while in 4wd. Caused by all the fluid burning off under the car. The leak on mine seemed to be more than just a slow leak. I first noticed it while at United by Bronco out in Sand Hollow in Utah this year, took the attached picture after wheeling all morning in 4H and 4L. It didn't take longer for the dealer to get the parts in. Now the story with the aftermath of them installing the pinon seal correctly.... that's a story for another thread.... Hopefully this seal lasts.

front diff pic.jpg
Sponsored