First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Snow on ground here today. Noticed a large light brown/yellowish oily stain in snow beneath front driver side. I fear this to be a front diff leak. Does this have the sound of that to those on here with same experience? Taking it in to dealer tomorrow and keeping fingers crossed that all is well. Will report what is found. My new Wildtrak has only 3k miles on it!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Last Ride Bronco

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My seal was replaced about a year and a half ago and it hasn’t leaked since.

Reactions: ar1

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was changing my oil (23 Badlands with 19k) and thought it was the transfer case that was leaking. Took it in today and they say front diff. Parts on order and I'll have to go back in.
They finally got the parts. A wee snow and ice storm probably delayed things. Will go in Monday.

BBull

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Snow on ground here today. Noticed a large light brown/yellowish oily stain in snow beneath front driver side. I fear this to be a front diff leak. Does this have the sound of that to those on here with same experience? Taking it in to dealer tomorrow and keeping fingers crossed that all is well. Will report what is found. My new Wildtrak has only 3k miles on it!
update: Dealer said it wasn’t the front Diff! Mystery leakage unsolved. Next guess: brake fluid?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi Brian! I can look into your bronco's leak concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your bronco's VIN?

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have joined the club with front differential seal leak. 19k miles. Found it during oil change.

4F004C48-6D3C-4C23-BB2C-A03976AF8124.jpeg

296CDDBB-CEE8-4A95-891B-7B8407DF0A73.jpeg

F67DC569-192E-49EE-811E-FE6565579C31.jpeg

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Guys take a look at this, not the best recording but here it is, you think this is the same issue?

Also is there a fix or are they trying seals first and then something else?

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have 21k on my 2.7. I noticed a little (half dollar sized) puddle in the garage. I crawled underneath and saw that it was coming from the front gear differential. I've taken it in for repair. Apparently there is a seal problem. Service manager said they have already seen this a couple of times with new Broncos.
22' Wildtrak - replace front pinion seal at 15K...thought it was leaking again at 17.5K miles..turns out this time it is the front differential seal. Have used 4WD only a few times and nothing harsh...everything worked fine for a year and a half. Is the fix to replace the seal?..or is it a problem with the mfg of the entire front differential? On another note, the plastic oil drain pans/plug should be replaced by Ford with an aluminum one with a heavy duty drain plug...am on my 3rd oil plastic drain plug - they are cheap, and the drip..

Alimony

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You can add me to the list of front diff issues. Noticed oil on the skid plate when performing my last oil change. Oil appears to be seeping from diff seal. Not dripping yet but definitely oil residue. Got an appointment with the dealer in a few weeks to look at it. 22 SAS OBX, 8500 miles.

Sponsored

felgercarb

Wildtrak
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-350 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Add my front diff pinion seal repair happening today on my '23 Wildtrack. 9300 miles on odometer. My wife noticed the burnt oil smell a while back, but didn't recur. Finally made the appointment once I noticed some spots on the driveway.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yup - me too. 23 Wildtrak pinion seal leak at around 7k miles. Replaced under warranty. Done in a day.

No biggie. Not even the beginning of the end of the world.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took my plates off to replace them yesterday and saw this. Does this look like a bad seal?

Ford Bronco New issue: front gear differential seal leak IMG_2307
Ford Bronco New issue: front gear differential seal leak IMG_2308
Ford Bronco New issue: front gear differential seal leak IMG_2306

Maury

Wildtrak
First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@userdude

Yes, pinion seal leak, oil travels down to bottom of diff.

I changed the oil on mine in Feb. and noticed a similar leak. Since it's under warranty I thought I'd bring it to the dealership. They replaced the seal in about a week, which is not ideal but not too bad. Drove home and put gas in, and immediately noticed a gear oil smell.

Back at the dealership... This time it took longer for them to assess, and I was told they'd replace the whole diff. Ok, as long as it doesn't cost me a dime. What I didn't foresee was that it would take them a whole month to perform.

Not great, but now I have the bronco back with a brand new diff and I hope it will stay dry. Next time if there's any issue and it can wait, I'll make sure I time the repair differently as they don't provide a loaner here. We're lucky we have 2 vehicles, but going through 2 snow storms without the bronco was a bit stressful.

Edit: '22 wildtrak with 22k miles.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@userdude

Yes, pinion seal leak, oil travels down to bottom of diff.

I changed the oil on mine in Feb. and noticed a similar leak. Since it's under warranty I thought I'd bring it to the dealership. They replaced the seal in about a week, which is not ideal but not too bad. Drove home and put gas in, and immediately noticed a gear oil smell.

Back at the dealership... This time it took longer for them to assess, and I was told they'd replace the whole diff. Ok, as long as it doesn't cost me a dime. What I didn't foresee was that it would take them a whole month to perform.

Not great, but now I have the bronco back with a brand new diff and I hope it will stay dry. Next time if there's any issue and it can wait, I'll make sure I time the repair differently as they don't provide a loaner here. We're lucky we have 2 vehicles, but going through 2 snow storms without the bronco was a bit stressful.

Edit: '22 wildtrak with 22k miles.
Thanks. I think you're right; I was thinking maybe it was spraying but it does look like it coming from above. Interesting, you're the third or fourth person I've heard of who had their front diff replaced.
Sponsored