First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Before I call my dealer to schedule a diagnostic appointment, has anyone here experienced a “thump” noise/feeling in their front suspension after releasing its compression? For example, when coming to a full stop at a red light and compressing the front suspension and then upon taking off, there’s this “thump” I hear and feel, almost like somethings loose…

Thank you for any input!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Before I call my dealer to schedule a diagnostic appointment, has anyone here experienced a “thump” noise/feeling in their front suspension after releasing its compression? For example, when coming to a full stop at a red light and compressing the front suspension and then upon taking off, there’s this “thump” I hear and feel, almost like somethings loose…

Thank you for any input!
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

ChadRockPSU

Outer Banks
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is very similar to the situation I am experiencing. I would be interested to hear if anyone is also experiencing this and what the issue may be.

Cali Gaucho

Base
First Name
Cali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have had that very same thing and it has gotten worse at times. It did not do this for the first 9k miles so it is not normal behavior.
Seems that it happens more in 4A than in 2H. Also have had the Brake/Hill Assist/Service Advancetrac/Parking Brake set error barf on startups.
Not sure if they are related.... but I am thinking the electric brake assist is somehow the culprit and not relaying correctly. My dealer mechanic didn't feel it but later I realized it was in 2H when he test drove it. Put it back in 4A and it started returning.
I first noticed the Delay Engagement Thump when leaving the driveway from and incline state, no parking brake, and when I hit the gas a little had a Lite Thump feel or secondary engagement feel.
Later it started happening at full stops, but if I go a little bit forward and stop again, no delayed thump engagement. So it seems to be affected by load on the drivetrain.
Dealer checked suspension bolts and said were ok. IDK....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have had that very same thing and it has gotten worse at times. It did not do this for the first 9k miles so it is not normal behavior.
Seems that it happens more in 4A than in 2H. Also have had the Brake/Hill Assist/Service Advancetrac/Parking Brake set error barf on startups.
Not sure if they are related.... but I am thinking the electric brake assist is somehow the culprit and not relaying correctly. My dealer mechanic didn't feel it but later I realized it was in 2H when he test drove it. Put it back in 4A and it started returning.
I first noticed the Delay Engagement Thump when leaving the driveway from and incline state, no parking brake, and when I hit the gas a little had a Lite Thump feel or secondary engagement feel.
Later it started happening at full stops, but if I go a little bit forward and stop again, no delayed thump engagement. So it seems to be affected by load on the drivetrain.
Dealer checked suspension bolts and said were ok. IDK....
Hello there. I'd like to take a closer look at this thumping noise you are concerned about in your new Bronco. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer?

Deleted member 3063

Some years back I had a similar thing on my 2010 Raptor at about 5k miles. Turned out it was the drive shaft slip yoke, the splined portion that goes into the transfer case. Turns out that this has been a known issue on some F150s and other Fords since 04. Most do not have the problem but some do, lucky me. Stopping can put the splines in a bind as the chassis rocks forward and when when you resume or take you foot off the brake and you get a little thump when it unloads . I never heard anything but often felt it. I was thinking trans or rear end issue.
There is a TSB that basically says remove drive shaft, clean splines, apply a specific (special for the splines) grease and reassemble. My stepson (a Ford tech) found the TSB and the grease then we did the deed in my driveway. Quick and easy fix, didn't even use a jack, and it's been cured for ever since.

Cali Gaucho

Base
First Name
Cali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The spline binding makes sense. If it was an old truck I would say it feels like a driveshaft/joint slop problem, but its intermittent. Also explains why it was first noticed when parked at inclines, no parking brake, so it was under tension. My dealer did notice a bit of oil on the case where the shaft connects and has a seal on order, so could have stressed the seal if the yoke was binding.
Hmm... it's all starting to add up...
I will have the dealer service the driveshafts and see if that does it and let ya'll know.

Last edited:

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got what sounds like the same issue. I can't really recreate it by shifting from drive to reverse and back again as you would be able to with loose suspension or u-joints. It's my wife's daily so I don't drive it enough to really figure out the repeatability. But its noticable for sure.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have that thump noise coming from the rear when I let go of the brake from coming to a stop. Dealer could no duplicate of course.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have that thump noise coming from the rear when I let go of the brake from coming to a stop. Dealer could no duplicate of course.
Good morning, Andrew! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these thumping noise concerns for you on my end. Thanks!

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll add mine to the list. Dealer just looked and the nuts were gone. Rattle/thumping over minor bumps. Noticed on my way home from picking it up. Parts are being ordered.... Rats!!

Cali Gaucho

Base
First Name
Cali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll add mine to the list. Dealer just looked and the nuts were gone. Rattle/thumping over minor bumps. Noticed on my way home from picking it up. Parts are being ordered.... Rats!!
Which nuts were missing?

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good morning, Andrew! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into these thumping noise concerns for you on my end. Thanks!
Thanks my next service im going to have another dealership look at it. If they don’t resolve it I’ll message you or call CRC.