First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Couple weekends back I spent some time playing around on Big Lake, Alaska with the Bronco. They had just plowed the race track for races the next day, so it was fresh untouched ice. Even my Studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas were fighting for grip in the corners. On the straights I had a lot of fun romping on it, hit a high speed of 82 MPH (in video). Finished off with some trail turn donuts. All in all had so much fun! Plan on going out more this winter. Also rolled 14k miles on the way out there.

Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_153541
Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_153527
Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_153515
Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_153553
Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_153234
Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240106_151404
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Forget the studs, you need some spikes to get some traction. :LOL:

Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 1705594813615

Last edited:

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Couple weekends back I spent some time playing around on Big Lake, Alaska with the Bronco. They had just plowed the race track for races the next day, so it was fresh untouched ice. Even my Studded Nokian Hakkapeliittas were fighting for grip in the corners. On the straights I had a lot of fun romping on it, hit a high speed of 82 MPH (in video). Finished off with some trail turn donuts. All in all had so much fun! Plan on going out more this winter. Also rolled 14k miles on the way out there.

Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 1705594813615
Wow looks like a lot of fun, Your lucky its so isolated up there, anything like that in the lower 48 and a bunch of drunk yahoo's would end up killing somebody and that would be the end of that.

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So fun! Question: Which Nokian's are you running?

JBBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like fun. Thank you for the video. Looks like you got the hang of drifting on ice toward the end of the video.

Sponsored

Classics Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2019 F350 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not in anyway related to Broncos but I lived near Big Lake in Wasilla for a few years in the early 80’s whe I was in my early 20’s. There was a lakeshore lodge located on the opposite side of the Parks Highway that was only accessible in the winter by crossing the lake. I worked for a propane company as a delivery driver and one of my memorable experiences was driving across the lake in a propane bobtail delivery truck to deliver propane to that lodge. On the way back I strayed off the plowed road to bust some drifts. When I got back to the office and told my boss what I had done he about had a heart attack. I didn’t know at the time that the snow was an insulator and the ice underneath was thinner than the plowed areas. Luckily I didn’t break through. Life lesson learned.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks so fun!!!!!

We had enough early snow in November that I was doing donuts in a private parking lot. But I totally forgot about TTA.

OP
OP
AKBronc49

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So fun! Question: Which Nokian's are you running?
The only option for a Sasquatch, Hakkapeliitta LT2 (new version is LT3) in 315/70R17. Fantastic snow tire!

Ford Bronco Frozen Alaskan lake, 82 MPH, ice race track 20240105_112216

Looks like fun. Thank you for the video. Looks like you got the hang of drifting on ice toward the end of the video.
Not trying to toot my own horn, but im pretty good normally. They had JUST plowed the track for races the next day, so it was fresh smooth ice with basically zero traction. It gets much better once the ice gets ate up and some grip is available.

This was years ago, but I took my Excursion out on the much smaller oval motorcycle track and had a blast!

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The ice road system at Big Lake is a hoot. You can drive to areas completely inancessible to wheeled or tracked vehicles when the water is open, a lot of cabins are built with materials delivered in the winter, the truck can drive right to the front door. That looks like a lot of fun!
In the early aughts a group of us would stud up our motorcycle tires and go on trail rides around the lake and on the ice road. The local racing body was considering our request for a street bike division on the ice race track, and we even got drafted into being safety observers for the races. So, fly to AK, rent a car and don't tell the rental company you are going to drive on the ice roads, and OnStar told me that if something happened that roadside assistance stopped at the shoreline, winter or summer!

Sponsored

Fillups

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Expedition EL
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looks even more fun in the Excursion... Just looks wrong to go drifting in something that big and heavy!
Sponsored