Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Except for the ridiculous "Safety Corridor" in New Mexico. Most worthless section of asphalt any where...
Abso-f*cking-lutely. Have to hit that garbage going from DFW to Phoenix to visit the inlaws. Hate it!
Sponsored

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 non-squatch OBX in sport mode with 33.5" tires = 16.5-17.5 MPG (1st 1000 miles it was more like 13.5 MPG). 80-85 MPH cruising speed on I-10 through the hill country - flat and level it's between 17-18 MPG depending on wind.

So if you are in the breakin period, it gets better.
Having had a dozen new vehicles over the years, none have showed any noticeable increase in fuel economy after the supposed "break in" period.
Once in 2015 when I needed a new truck I went by the local dealership and drove two identical SD's one right after the other on the identical route. One got 2mpg better than the other- I bought that one.

From my experience if you don't get good fuel economy from the start you are not going too and if you experience better fuel economy after the break in period, it's because the new wore off of the vehicle and you are back to driving it normally, not hot rodding around.

I imagine the 2.3 in the SAS is too underpowered and has to maintain more boost and more gear to keep it moving

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having had a dozen new vehicles over the years, none have showed any noticeable increase in fuel economy after the supposed "break in" period.
Once in 2015 when I needed a new truck I went by the local dealership and drove two identical SD's one right after the other on the identical route. One got 2mpg better than the other- I bought that one.

From my experience if you don't get good fuel economy from the start you are not going too and if you experience better fuel economy after the break in period, it's because the new wore off of the vehicle and you are back to driving it normally, not hot rodding around.

I imagine the 2.3 in the SAS is too underpowered and has to maintain more boost and more gear to keep it moving
There are these hypermiler guys who strive to eek out max mileage from vehicles, in part through driving styles limiting extreme throttle fluctuations, and planning ahead in terms of gliding to stops and stuff like that.

On the flip side, my wife's vehicles go through brake pads like crazy, she is one of those drivers you see mashing the pedal on the green light, and then hitting the brakes at the next red light. I bet she also gets not so good gas mileage.

So yeah I think a driver style has an impact, along with not trying to propel this brick of a vehicle at very high speeds.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with you, this isn't my first rodeo with a new car, but this one has been the only one where fuel economy improved significantly over the first 1000 miles. I was seriously averaging 13.5 MPG for nearly the 1st 1000 miles, and it improved significantly and without any reason I could discern.

For what it's worth, I am often in boost while cruising at 80 MPH.

Utley06

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX Sassy Style
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There are these hypermiler guys who strive to eek out max mileage from vehicles, in part through driving styles limiting extreme throttle fluctuations, and planning ahead in terms of gliding to stops and stuff like that.

On the flip side, my wife's vehicles go through brake pads like crazy, she is one of those drivers you see mashing the pedal on the green light, and then hitting the brakes at the next red light. I bet she also gets not so good gas mileage.

So yeah I think a driver style has an impact, along with not trying to propel this brick of a vehicle at very high speeds.

LMAO..... I drive like a bat at a hell. My 4runner and previous jeep wrangler, all "bricks", averaged 15-16 MPG @ the posted HWY speed of 75MPH. Getting frustrated @ 13.5 MPG while utilizing my best hwy fuel saving manners is understandably frustrating. Give me at least 15-16 when I don't give a shit about fuel savings and Fords claimed 17MPG when I do care.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigBend1

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, 2012 Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anybody got any data yet on fuel economy at 70-80 mph? If so what trim level and rear diff?

Thanks
Folks who order or buy Broncos and then worry about gas mileage crack me up. Look at your window sticker for the EPA estimated gas mileage, which is under ideal conditions and subtract from there.

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
wish my BD got that.... oh .... wait..... it imploded on me..... not getting any mpg currently!!!!!! : (

Utley06

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Folks who order or buy Broncos and then worry about gas mileage crack me up. Look at your window sticker for the EPA estimated gas mileage, which is under ideal conditions and subtract from there.

It cracks me up that people don't realize that losing 4MPG equates to about 6k each year, if you're filling up 1 time per week. Thats 30k the span of a 5 yr note.

You're probably one of those guys who also spent 40k over MSRP on your Bronco. Carry on!

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
LMAO..... I drive like a bat at a hell. My 4runner and previous jeep wrangler, all "bricks", averaged 15-16 MPG @ the posted HWY speed of 75MPH. Getting frustrated @ 13.5 MPG while utilizing my best hwy fuel saving manners is understandably frustrating. Give me at least 15-16 when I don't give a shit about fuel savings and Fords claimed 17MPG when I do care.
And your 4runner was doing that on regular gas. You really need to run premium in these ecoboost engines and that's 20% more expensive than regular.

Sponsored

Utley06

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And your 4runner was doing that on regular gas. You really need to run premium in these ecoboost engines and that's 20% more expensive than regular.

I Have been running premium. She is new, so maybe the break in period is a thing. 600 miles thus far.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't worry about the MPG as much as I worry about the two-door Badlands range. Definitely going to have some range anxiety in mountainous areas in the middle of nowhere.

Ciscollector

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 F250 Highboy; 2000 LX470; 2017 JK
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am not too concerned about gas mileage but did think it would be better than my LX470 which is around 13mpg. I just took my first edition to southern Utah from San Diego putting around 1500 miles on it round trip. Started the trip with approx. 600 miles on the odometer. It was fully packed (hunting gear, couldn't see out the back) with three guys inside. I averaged around 13.4 mpg and the other buddy that drove averaged 14 mpg. We both averaged 80 mph the whole way.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bro, you have a 2 door base with tiny wheels. However, still not buying thats 75+MPH rating
I have a BD and I run only premium fuel. And that was from Vegas to LA. I set the cruise so it for sure 75.
Sponsored