First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Meh, i'm getting a Black Diamond and am coming from a '64 Falcon that i daily in the country, with only steel floor pans. when rocks fly off the wheels in that it's so loud i wince every time, so the rock noises shouldn't be an issue for me
Sponsored

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same experience I have had with them on my black diamond as well, driving down gravel road and sounded like a small hail storm coming from underneath.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting, with my old tin box Ranger I don't really notice any hail sounds from the floor.

I have a gravel driveway and live on a gravel road.

Great tire for me, I was happy when I saw the Black Diamond came with them as opposed to some Perelli Scorpian or Hankook Dynapro POS.

Good in mud, on rock and in snow and yet not loud and very nice on the street. IMO they are a great balance of a tire when I have to drive across like 3 states to get to anywhere fun to play.

51257623717_09674897c1_c.jpg

50369163823_7017faf179_c.jpg

50369911371_edea389822_c.jpg

They throw some gravel, so does any other tire worth a crap. I can't wait to hear the complaints about the GY Territory... when my old MT's threw something it sounded like a guy was taking 30-06 fire.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've put about 500 miles on my General Grabber A/Tx tires that came on my Black Diamond and they'll be gone before too long. The tire treads are rock catching machines! I have about a half mile long gravel driveway and the treads stay full of rocks. They'll throw some of the loose ones, but several stay in the tread after miles and miles of blacktop. Tired of hearing the clicking. The tires aren't noisy, they ride smooth and I'm not getting any drift. I just don't like the rocks.

I've experimented with several A/T tires on 150's, Ranger's and Super Duty's. I've had about everything on the market in the past 7 years. These are by the worst I've owned at keeping rocks in the treads. This is also my first set of Grabbers.

I'm thinking of going Toyo Open Country A/T 3. Made in the USA and I've been happy with them. The A/T 3's with the same specs are three pounds lighter too.

Anybody with the Grabbers experienced the same issue? They got the name right -- Grabber. They grab rocks and hold them like crazy!

Hey OP, was wondering if you ever switched over to the Toyo's? My BD is being built on 1/3, and I'm going go up to 285/70/17's (33" tires) and I'm comparing the General Grabbers to the Toyo's you mentioned above.....I do like that they are 6 pounds lighter.....just wondering how they hold up...but then also saw this ONE weird review on tiresize.com.....seems weird, but I don't wanna lose the 1" lift that I'm trying to get by changing tire size to begin with (granted it's technically 1/2" lift over stock bc that's all that's actually under the axle.

Ford Bronco General Grabber A/Tx Tires Review (On Black Diamond Bronco) Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 8.32.13 AM

Sponsored

BoatMan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think pretty much any All Terrain tire is going to trap and throw some gravel. I'm going to go with both mud flaps and some type of running boards or rock rails.

On another note, I saw that General offers the Grabber ATX in a 275/70R18 tire in a C range. It has good reviews, and is larger than the 275/70R17's that I have been considering (33.2" and 46lbs vs most 285/70R17's at 32.7"). I was really thinking of going with 285/75R17's, but all the tires I have found are either E rated or heavy (or both).

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oof I should have read this review earlier. I just bought a set of ATXs in a 315. RIP my paint.
The tread gaps on the 315s will be sufficiently wider than the factory 265s, so hopefully picks up less gravel.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey OP, was wondering if you ever switched over to the Toyo's? My BD is being built on 1/3, and I'm going go up to 285/70/17's (33" tires) and I'm comparing the General Grabbers to the Toyo's you mentioned above.....I do like that they are 6 pounds lighter.....just wondering how they hold up...but then also saw this ONE weird review on tiresize.com.....seems weird, but I don't wanna lose the 1" lift that I'm trying to get by changing tire size to begin with (granted it's technically 1/2" lift over stock bc that's all that's actually under the axle.

Ford Bronco General Grabber A/Tx Tires Review (On Black Diamond Bronco) Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 8.32.13 AM
The day I got my BD, I took it to the tire shop and had them replace the factory Grabbers with those Toyo OC AT3s in 285/75R17s and have been extremely happy with them. Haven't notice them picking up any gravel.

I had two sets of General Grabber AT2s on Jeeps and liked them, but I definitely prefer the Open Countrys more. The tread looks a tad more aggressive on the Grabbers, but the Toyo's are quieter and seem to grip better year around.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The day I got my BD, I took it to the tire shop and had them replace the factory Grabbers with those Toyo OC AT3s in 285/75R17s and have been extremely happy with them. Haven't notice them picking up any gravel.

I had two sets of General Grabber AT2s on Jeeps and liked them, but I definitely prefer the Open Countrys more. The tread looks a tad more aggressive on the Grabbers, but the Toyo's are quieter and seem to grip better year around.

Ok thanks for this. The one “in-depth” review I read on tire rack said the EXACT opposite, the compared the Toyos, The Grabbers, some Coopers and one other one and said the Toyos were “by far” the loudest. I’ll see if I can find it.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
People are having the same issue with the Sasquatch tires. I just got a set of Grabbers for my Ranger and I have been pretty happy with them, but they have only done mall duty. Agreed with the other posters that this type of tire/tread is going to hold rocks.

Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok thanks for this. The one “in-depth” review I read on tire rack said the EXACT opposite, the compared the Toyos, The Grabbers, some Coopers and one other one and said the Toyos were “by far” the loudest. I’ll see if I can find it.
Those reviews are for all sizes of the tire. The tread pattern gets stretched and disorted as the sizes get larger, so while that tread pattern might be nice and quiet on a 245 tire, the 315 version of might be on the loud side. Tires also tend to get quite a bit louder as they wear, so it depends whether that person has brand new tires, or half worn ones.

The different varibles make it had to get a reliable comparison.

Or you get those people who had a "Toyo tire" 20 years ago, and assume that all Toyos are still like that.

Over 200k on my Jeeps I've had a few sets of BFG AT KOs, and 2 sets of Grabber AT2s. I've only put about 3,400miles on these Toyo's, but so far I've liked them the best.

I almost went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but decided on the Toyo's when since the 285/75s came in load range C.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Those reviews are for all sizes of the tire. The tread pattern gets stretched and disorted as the sizes get larger, so while that tread pattern might be nice and quiet on a 245 tire, the 315 version of might be on the loud side. Tires also tend to get quite a bit louder as they wear, so it depends whether that person has brand new tires, or half worn ones.

The different varibles make it had to get a reliable comparison.

Or you get those people who had a "Toyo tire" 20 years ago, and assume that all Toyos are still like that.

Over 200k on my Jeeps I've had a few sets of BFG AT KOs, and 2 sets of Grabber AT2s. I've only put about 3,400miles on these Toyo's, but so far I've liked them the best.

I almost went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but decided on the Toyo's when since the 285/75s came in load range C.

Edited to ask: Also, Prodigy, you said you got 285/75/17.....no issues at all with fitment on the stock BD? Crash bars stayed on? No rubbing or scraping under more "stressful" conditions? Does the "C" rating mean you cannot tow as much as with an "E' rating? Thanks very much.

So, here's the review I was referencing. They tested 265/70/17 (the stock Black Diamond tire size)....this is what it said about the Toyo: (tested on F150 4x4's)

Toyo's Open Country A/T III featured ride quality that was firm, though not overly so. Each bump was concise, and body motions were nicely-controlled. The tread noise created by the Toyo was the highest-volume and most distinctive in the test. It was high-pitched and multi-tonal around town and the most intrusive in the cabin at highway speeds. The steering felt natural and had nice return to center, given the type of tire.

• What We Liked: The steering feels natural.
  • What We'd Improve: It's loud on the road and needs a substantial increase in wet traction.
  • Conclusion: We're looking forward to testing it in the snow

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=275

So, as mentioned, I'm gonna go up to the badlands size.....before, I was just gonna do General Grabbers, then I started reading about the "rock grabbing"....then someone mentioned the Toyos and how they were good, and even 6 pounds lighter in the same rating (I want the "E" rating), so I"m like "great, this is a winner, even better gas mileage with the lighter tires"...

Then I read that review and I'm back to not knowing. These people are saying it's LOUDEST; (Granted, the review was a 6 mile loop) and a couple of you guys are saying from experience its not.....I tend to wanna trust what people are saying here....but wish I could have a real world comparison before I pick the tire.

Last edited:

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always assumed any AT tire was going to pick up gravel depending on the tire size and road you were driving on, rather than the brand. I had an Nissan Frontier NISMO I put Grabbers on and although I didn't do any off-roading, they were amazing everywhere else, including snow and ice where they were comparable to dedicated snow tires. They were the same tire size that the BD comes with, but I don't remember them throwing gravel any worse than any other AT tire I've experienced.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

important shit to worry about than little stones in my treads ...
The tread gaps on the 315s will be sufficiently wider than the factory 265s, so hopefully picks up less grave
I always assumed any AT tire was going to pick up gravel depending on the tire size and road you were driving on, rather than the brand. I had an Nissan Frontier NISMO I put Grabbers on and although I didn't do any off-roading, they were amazing everywhere else, including snow and ice where they were comparable to dedicated snow tires. They were the same tire size that the BD comes with, but I don't remember them throwing gravel any worse than any other AT tire I've experienced.
how much better are the badlands stock 33's?

Hulk23

Black Diamond
First Name
Ding
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door Ford Bronco EG, Scion TC, Triumph Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It grabs that's why the name General Grabber. It generally grabs A/T (all things big and small). Just kidding:giggle:
Sponsored