Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Updated with video:

One of the things I wanted but wasn't willing to pay the premium for was the 360 camera in the high package. If it was available on the Black Diamond, it would have been a no brainer, but jumping up to the Badlands added about $5000 to my build.

I've been trying to come up with an affordable, practical solution for a front camera without adding a dedicated screen for it. I figured something wireless that connected to the phone would work. I tried a few bargain wireless front cameras on Amazon but the connection was very unreliable so I just returned those. I read that the GoPro wireless connection was pretty good on the newer GoPros (9 and up). One of my ideas was to hook the GoPro to the front of my vehicle and use the Preview option in the iPhone GoPro App to see what is directly in front of me. I got it to work when the Bronco was not running but every time I started it, CarPlay would bump the GoPro off line and I couldn't see the preview any more. I called GoPro support and they got it to work. Here is what I had to do:
  • Uninstall App from iPhone and reinstall
  • Delete all the GoPro connections from Bluetooth on the iPhone (the ones I created before I started the vehicle).
  • Get in the Bronco and start it (very important)
  • Connect the GoPro while the vehicle is on
This solution now works. Basically the CarPlay won't kick in if the GoPro app is running.

The negatives are:
  • You can't use CarPlay and preview the GoPro at the same time.
  • You can't record with the GoPro and still see the preview (on the 9 anyway)
The positives are:
  • Picture has great quality
  • No extra wires or screens needed
  • You have a GoPro to use on other stuff
For the number of times I will actually be going over the crest of a hill blind, this solution works great for me.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How did you mount the go pro to the front of the bronco?
For testing, I used this and attached to grill. Pretty good grip and suitable for most off-road stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C882D4M?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

This is what I ordered today, now that I got it working. Should handle rougher stuff, just not as centered. As long as I can see over the hood. it should work.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B499ZLT5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I'll post an update after my next off-road experience.

OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So yes I am semi retired and have to much time on my hands...

I made a video of how the GoPro works as a front camera and measured the viewing distances from a 12" obstacle.

Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you just connect the GoPro to another phone not tied to the vehicle? I have an older phone that I downloaded music too and that’s all it can do since it doesn’t have service.

zonasvt

Black Diamond
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you just connect the GoPro to another phone not tied to the vehicle? I have an older phone that I downloaded music too and that’s all it can do since it doesn’t have service.
I was thinking the same , except utilizing an old iPad I have.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was looking at mounting a small tablet to a ball mount up by the aux switches for dedicated onxoffroad use (offline map downloads), and one of the things I was looking at doing with it was installing a few cams underneath for looking at obstacles that I couldn't see from inside. Also intended to run my gimballed thermal camera with it as well. Would be a lot cooler if there was a simple way to tap into the Bronco's screen and just change inputs as needed, but even when you price out a tablet, several GoPros, and even a thermal cam, you're still below that $5000 price jump.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking the same , except utilizing an old iPad I have.
this may work for sure. It’s a pia that go pro, CarPlay and Bluetooth get wonked out.
I didn’t think to swap to my iPad or something else for that.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Interesting solution.
I was in the same boat and saw that there are options to send feed to the 8 inch screen but pricey and tearing out the dash together to get to the back of the infotainment was not on the top of my fun list.
I just ended up with $80 wireless rv/backup cam mounted in grill and wired to aux switch. I do have a separate screen that I either suction cup to window or will hold in phone mount on picatinny rail. I just take it down when not wheeling. Luckily I have had strong connection with no lag which was my concern also. With that said, that worked for me so I can save my phone for other stuff like filming and running Gaia.
To be honest, when ordering my Bronco I didn't think of the trail cams as a big need on my build, and was not an option on the Big Bend anyway. I had wheeled on Wranglers with no cameras for years. However, after taking the Bronco out the first time I couldn't believe how blind I felt on a number of things. Very happy to have a camera now and glad that you found a solution that works and we can add to our options list.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ironiguana

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably. As long as it can run the GoPro app.

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Started checking prices. As we do not need the screen on the camera, the Hero 11 Mini on sale, with a dive housing looks interesting. Around $300 total..
For me the additional benefit, I can move it to the spare tire location while trying to line up the trailer to hitch, when alone.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting solution.
I was in the same boat and saw that there are options to send feed to the 8 inch screen but pricey and tearing out the dash together to get to the back of the infotainment was not on the top of my fun list.
Do you have any links to those kits?