Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Every tire shop in the country also has the universal socket that is pounded over a McGard lock to remove the locks in 10 seconds...how is that any different?
I have yet to hear of the McGard locking lug being susceptible to such an attack due to the smooth shape and chamfered edges. Will check back in with a few friends who manage tire shops and see if this has changed in the last few years (which was the last time I needed wheel security for the old DD/track car).

Automotive2014.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every tire shop in the country has this (Gorilla) socket and they can be had quite easily. You can also use a standard $10 nut extractor on a medium torque 3/8" drive electric impact driver to rip those cheap gorilla lugs off in about 1 minute for the whole car (Usually you get to keep the cinder blocks as a consolation prize. Sometimes you even get 8 cinder blocks if they want you to build a retaining wall after stealing your wheels)

Overall, the Gorilla locking lugnuts are not much in terms of actual security for anyone except the owner who thinks they just got the Ford Knox treatment.

I'll stand behind my previous statement on the same topic which has been done a few times on these here digital pages. If you want ACTUAL locking lugs, you'll need McGard. The keys are quite unique and precise.

If you've got aftermarket wheels and want to protect their finish, the spline lugs are the next step further. Dropping $50 at WalMart and expecting to have some unicorn-meat of exclusivity and security is not going to cut it once you're out of their parking lot and into the real world where somebody wants your stuff.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/black-lugs-wheel-locks.19097/#post-686984
Every tire shop in the country has this (Gorilla) socket and they can be had quite easily. You can also use a standard $10 nut extractor on a medium torque 3/8" drive electric impact driver to rip those cheap gorilla lugs off in about 1 minute for the whole car (Usually you get to keep the cinder blocks as a consolation prize. Sometimes you even get 8 cinder blocks if they want you to build a retaining wall after stealing your wheels)

Overall, the Gorilla locking lugnuts are not much in terms of actual security for anyone except the owner who thinks they just got the Ford Knox treatment.

I'll stand behind my previous statement on the same topic which has been done a few times on these here digital pages. If you want ACTUAL locking lugs, you'll need McGard. The keys are quite unique and precise.

If you've got aftermarket wheels and want to protect their finish, the spline lugs are the next step further. Dropping $50 at WalMart and expecting to have some unicorn-meat of exclusivity and security is not going to cut it once you're out of their parking lot and into the real world where somebody wants your stuff.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/black-lugs-wheel-locks.19097/#post-686984
Yes, tire shops have splined sockets, a spine socket doesn't fit the lugs I bought.

Mcguard locks are no protection, you don't need the key to remove them.

If someone really wants your wheels there is NOTHING you can do... I'm just trying to make it take longer so maybe they move on to something easier.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes, tire shops have splined sockets, a spine socket doesn't fit the lugs I bought.

Mcguard locks are no protection, you don't need the key to remove them.

If someone really wants your wheels there is NOTHING you can do... I'm just trying to make it take longer so maybe they move on to something easier.
The splined lugs are just that, lugs (as stated in the link while talking about the spline feature). The thread contains info on the different locking lug but would have required you to do a bit of reading instead of A to B.

That being said: your solution wont require anyone to take longer. Hence adding a comment. Ultimately I don't give a shit what you do. You do you and be happy with your purchase.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have yet to hear of the McGard locking lug being susceptible to such an attack due to the smooth shape and chamfered edges. Will check back in with a few friends who manage tire shops and see if this has changed in the last few years (which was the last time I needed wheel security for the old DD/track car).

Ford Bronco Gorilla "The System" Wheel Locks Automotive2014
Nothing has changed…it’s always taken them no time to remove them. I’ve seen them do it multiple times. It is very simple…I thought when someone said they were secure that they had some new design. Nope.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nothing has changed…it’s always taken them no time to remove them. I’ve seen them do it multiple times. It is very simple…I thought when someone said they were secure that they had some new design. Nope.
I also live in a fairly low-crime area where destructive attacks are seldom used, which would impact what feedback was received.
Sponsored