Gorilla "The System" Wheel Locks

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
After looking around for wheel locks and trying to balance price, looks, and security... I finally settled on Gorilla "The System" Locks.

From the price standpoint I ordered this set from Walmart, $47 including shipping to the store. I also ordered 3 additional matching locks for the spare, total was 25. One key fits all 27 locks.

Fit and finish of the actual lugs seem very nice. The seating area on the wheel is the same as on the lug. The original lugs have a larger diameter, but the entire area of the original lug isn't seated at the wheel surface.

As a side note, these were also available in black, I just like the contrast of the chrome.

I know if someone really wanted to they could still remove them, however, I feel like having 27 locks as opposed 5 would help someone decide to move along to a different (easier) vehicle. Or, at least cause them to take so much time and make so much noise to remove them, that I would notice.

All in all, very happy with them and absolutely recommend them if you want the peace of mind.

Ford Bronco Gorilla "The System" Wheel Locks 20220108_121955
Ford Bronco Gorilla "The System" Wheel Locks 20220108_122456
Ford Bronco Gorilla "The System" Wheel Locks 20220108_121907
Sponsored

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After looking around for wheel locks and trying to balance price, looks, and security... I finally settled on Gorilla "The System" Locks.

From the price standpoint I ordered this set from Walmart, $47 including shipping to the store. I also ordered 3 additional matching locks for the spare, total was 25. One key fits all 27 locks.

Fit and finish of the actual lugs seem very nice. The seating area on the wheel is the same as on the lug. The original lugs have a larger diameter, but the entire area of the original lug isn't seated at the wheel surface.

As a side note, these were also available in black, I just like the contrast of the chrome.

I know if someone really wanted to they could still remove them, however, I feel like having 27 locks as opposed 5 would help someone decide to move along to a different (easier) vehicle. Or, at least cause them to take so much time and make so much noise to remove them, that I would notice.

All in all, very happy with them and absolutely recommend them if you want the peace of mind.

how do these even work? I've never seen wheel locks before

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What did you do about the spare

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gorilla is my go-to for any aftermarket lugs for my wheels. But these aren't technically "lock" nuts. These are Gorilla's common keyed lugs. It makes no sense to put the same keyed lug on all the studs. All someone has to do is have the correct key to remove all of them. Instead buy a set of 4 of their true locks that have a different key and have one for each wheel. That way if someone really wants to steal them they will have to deal with two set of wheel keys instead of one. Its more of a inconvenience for them and makes it even likely someone will spend the time on it. They are a bit more pricey that most lug nuts but much better quality that the cheap ones from China you find on ebay and amazon.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Gorilla is my go-to for any aftermarket lugs for my wheels. But these aren't technically "lock" nuts. These are Gorilla's common keyed lugs. It makes no sense to put the same keyed lug on all the studs. All someone has to do is have the correct key to remove all of them. Instead buy a set of 4 of their true locks that have a different key and have one for each wheel. That way if someone really wants to steal them they will have to deal with two set of wheel keys instead of one. Its more of a inconvenience for them and makes it even likely someone will spend the time on it. They are a bit more pricey that most lug nuts but much better quality that the cheap ones from China you find on ebay and amazon.
This is 100% spot on. The qualified thieves have the keys already.

Personally I don’t use them. They end up being a pain in the ass more than anything and that is why have insurance.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wouldn't someone need the 6 digit "key code".... pretty sure there is more than just a couple different key patterns, since these aren't just splined.

If you just have one lock per wheel, I don't need any key at all to remove that.

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
What did you do about the spare
I ordered 3 additional matching locks for the spare from Gorilla, you just give them the key code.

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

I worked as a tire tech, then a tire salesman, for a national chain for 8 years. You'd be surprised how many people came in with no idea where the key was. All you need to remove a single lock is a oversized socket and one good wack with a hammer. I've removed probably 100 "Locks" in seconds with no key.

OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My point is, you don't use a key to steal them. We're really talking about the same thing just 2 different approaches.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any idea if these will work?

Gorilla 21138BC

They stress that they are for 'Aftermarket wheels only'.

I've used Gorilla Lugs before and really like them. I'd rather a spline drive for all the lugs rather than some Spline/Lock/regular lug combo. This is the only set of 27 I've run across so far.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MFP2241

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Any idea if these will work?

Gorilla 21138BC

They stress that they are for 'Aftermarket wheels only'.

I've used Gorilla Lugs before and really like them. I'd rather a spline drive for all the lugs rather than some Spline/Lock/regular lug combo. This is the only set of 27 I've run across so far.

Those should work, the seating area looks the same. They are the regular "spline drive" variety and won't offer any theft protection, if that's important or not.

The ones I bought look very similar to the spline drive but have a specific 6 digit keyed pattern.

I didn't want them to look mixed-and-matched either, which is why I bought the set of 24 plus 3 that are keyed the same to match. So, 1 socket "key" fits them all.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the 3 for the spare that are keyed the same is to order directly from gorilla. You'll never find 2 sets in the store that are keyed the same. So, all in I was at $75.

I do really like the quality of all the variety of Gorilla Lugs.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Those should work, the seating area looks the same. They are the regular "spline drive" variety and won't offer any theft protection, if that's important or not.

The ones I bought look very similar to the spline drive but have a specific 6 digit keyed pattern.

I didn't want them to look mixed-and-matched either, which is why I bought the set of 24 plus 3 that are keyed the same to match. So, 1 socket "key" fits them all.

Unfortunately, the only way to get the 3 for the spare that are keyed the same is to order directly from gorilla. You'll never find 2 sets in the store that are keyed the same. So, all in I was at $75.

I do really like the quality of all the variety of Gorilla Lugs.
Thanks for the confirmation. This is still a much better solution to the $150 Ford Performance Lugs, that still leave me 3 short!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wouldn't someone need the 6 digit "key code".... pretty sure there is more than just a couple different key patterns, since these aren't just splined.

If you just have one lock per wheel, I don't need any key at all to remove that.
Every tire shop in the country has this (Gorilla) socket and they can be had quite easily. You can also use a standard $10 nut extractor on a medium torque 3/8" drive electric impact driver to rip those cheap gorilla lugs off in about 1 minute for the whole car (Usually you get to keep the cinder blocks as a consolation prize. Sometimes you even get 8 cinder blocks if they want you to build a retaining wall after stealing your wheels)

Overall, the Gorilla locking lugnuts are not much in terms of actual security for anyone except the owner who thinks they just got the Ford Knox treatment.

I'll stand behind my previous statement on the same topic which has been done a few times on these here digital pages. If you want ACTUAL locking lugs, you'll need McGard. The keys are quite unique and precise.

If you've got aftermarket wheels and want to protect their finish, the spline lugs are the next step further. Dropping $50 at WalMart and expecting to have some unicorn-meat of exclusivity and security is not going to cut it once you're out of their parking lot and into the real world where somebody wants your stuff.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/black-lugs-wheel-locks.19097/#post-686984

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wheel locks are a waste of money and time. They simply make it hard for you to remove the wheel. Thiefs will have no problem with them. They usually use a cheap socket and hit it with a sledge hammer then drive the wheel off with an impact gun. It's almost exactly the same time as what it takes to remove the stock lug nuts.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every tire shop in the country has this (Gorilla) socket and they can be had quite easily. You can also use a standard $10 nut extractor on a medium torque 3/8" drive electric impact driver to rip those cheap gorilla lugs off in about 1 minute for the whole car (Usually you get to keep the cinder blocks as a consolation prize. Sometimes you even get 8 cinder blocks if they want you to build a retaining wall after stealing your wheels)

Overall, the Gorilla locking lugnuts are not much in terms of actual security for anyone except the owner who thinks they just got the Ford Knox treatment.

I'll stand behind my previous statement on the same topic which has been done a few times on these here digital pages. If you want ACTUAL locking lugs, you'll need McGard. The keys are quite unique and precise.

If you've got aftermarket wheels and want to protect their finish, the spline lugs are the next step further. Dropping $50 at WalMart and expecting to have some unicorn-meat of exclusivity and security is not going to cut it once you're out of their parking lot and into the real world where somebody wants your stuff.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/black-lugs-wheel-locks.19097/#post-686984
Every tire shop in the country also has the universal socket that is pounded over a McGard lock to remove the locks in 10 seconds...how is that any different?
Sponsored