Sponsored

Guys, I think my wife just talked me out of my Badlands build... And into a Wildtrak

To switch or not to switch? That is the question.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

THIS is the real plan.

She wants the WT.

You get a Badlands later.
Plan on it.

Happy wife, happy life.
Meh, what's a $110 grand? :alien: :devilish: :whistle:
Sponsored

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's good to know. My wife just came up to me in the kitchen and said, "You know, I was thinking about it. You get whatever's in your heart. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy."
Lucky man.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really tried to think of a time when I would need to disconnect a sta-bar, and I just couldn't come up with one for my intended uses - high-er speed off-roading, hunting, fishing, and towing things in mostly Georgia and Florida.
This is why I would get a BD if it came with the High and Luxe Pkgs.

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, wife and I sat down side by side and measured my ideal Badlands build against a Wildtrak build. She then, being the smarter of us, pointed out that an equally equipped Wildtrak comes in $100 cheaper than my ideal Badlands build.

Then she raised a couple of valid points:

1.a - You're getting older. Are you really going to be doing extreme rock crawling? The answer was, "No, probably not."
1.b - Then you really don't need the front axle disconnect. "Hmm, I suppose you have a point there."
2.a - You want to take the Bronco to Utah. What will we encounter there, mostly? The answer, "Sand. Mostly."
2.b - Right, and we really just want a vehicle that's capable enough to get us where we can WATCH people doing the extreme stuff. "That's true."
3. - And East Texas? "Oh, dirt, brush, cows... I see your point."
4.a - You drove me to my high-school graduation in an A-Frame Dunebuggy. "That's right. I did do that."
4.b - So, I'm looking for that kind of experience again. You plan to deliver? "Hell, yes!"
5 - We're getting a second Bronco in a few years. Sport, Truck, or Badlands. You decide. "Hurrrrrrr....."

Then she showed me this picture:

vehicle.jpg

She pointed out, "It'll be a finished project. No need to paint, no need for aftermarket upgrades. Take all that extra you'd spend and save it for upgrades on the next Bronco. And if that doesn't get here fast enough, instead of buying me the Bronco Sport, I'll just drive this and we'll get you the biggest baddest Badlands you can find."

I feel like I've been outfoxed here.

I'm still very into the idea of customizing a year one Badlands just the way I like it. But, she makes some valid points.

What do you guys think?
My wife out of the blue just dropped this bomb, “I won’t buy a vehicle without driving it first”!

Sponsored

Nova

Wildtrak
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
velar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, wife and I sat down side by side and measured my ideal Badlands build against a Wildtrak build. She then, being the smarter of us, pointed out that an equally equipped Wildtrak comes in $100 cheaper than my ideal Badlands build.

1.a - You're getting older. Are you really going to be doing extreme rock crawling? The answer was, "No, probably not."
1.b - Then you really don't need the front axle disconnect. "Hmm, I suppose you have a point there."
2.a - You want to take the Bronco to Utah. What will we encounter there, mostly? The answer, "Sand. Mostly."
2.b - Right, and we really just want a vehicle that's capable enough to get us where we can WATCH people doing the extreme stuff. "That's true."
3. - And East Texas? "Oh, dirt, brush, cows... I see your point."
4.a - You drove me to my high-school graduation in an A-Frame Dunebuggy. "That's right. I did do that."
4.b - So, I'm looking for that kind of experience again. You plan to deliver? "Hell, yes!"
5 - We're getting a second Bronco in a few years. Sport, Truck, or Badlands. You decide. "Hurrrrrrr....."

Then she showed me this picture:

vehicle.jpg

She pointed out, "It'll be a finished project. No need to paint, no need for aftermarket upgrades. Take all that extra you'd spend and save it for upgrades on the next Bronco. And if that doesn't get here fast enough, instead of buying me the Bronco Sport, I'll just drive this and we'll get you the biggest baddest Badlands you can find."

I feel like I've been outfoxed here.

I'm still very into the idea of customizing a year one Badlands just the way I like it. But, she makes some valid points.

What do you guys think?
I think you have a darnn smart wife! Lucky you

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think I am doing just the opposite - and saving $$$ . . .

I day 1 reservation is for the Wildtrak . . . was building as follows;
Velocity Blue
- Sound deadening
- Tube Steps
- Keyless entry keypad
- Leather interior
- Floor liners
- Storage Bag
- LUX
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$59359.00

Then I got a better look at the sandstone interior - which I don't love but could live with until I saw that beige dash . . . that is rough!

So I priced the following Badlands;
Velocity Blue
- MIC Top
- Keyless entry keypad
- Floor Liners
- Storage Bag
- MGV Black seats
- 2.7 ecoboost
- LUX
- Sasquatch
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$57909.00
And because I am so far under my budget (60k) I may add the tube doors . . .

With the Badlands I will opt for the MGV interior, and sacrifice power seats . . . but the interior of the WT that I saw on here a couple days ago was hard to take . . . I am not going to get into rock crawling, don't need all of the capability I will be getting - and will need to remove the rock rails and add side steps at some point soon - I will be spending most of my time on asphalt but will get out on the dirt roads and logging trails from time to time but want this Sasquatch look!

Decision is not final - but every day I move a little closer . . . will probably be an 11th hour decision on December 7th . . . have also looked at optioning an OBX similarly as well but want more GOAT modes!

Good luck on your decision . . . if you like the interior I'd stick with the WT - those are better looking wheels and a little less stuff to break . . . and if your wife is like mine - 5-1, 105 - she'd appreciate the side steps that you CAN get in the WT!

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Say, wuuuuuuuuuuuuut? I thought Baja mode was only available on the Wildtrak. This might be a game changer.
I believe you are correct - Baja only on the WT (and FE).

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe you are correct - Baja only on the WT (and FE).
No. Only difference in GOAT modes is that Wildtrak has Sport and Badlands has Rock Crawl instead. Badlands and FE have the same GOAT modes.

Sponsored

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Velocity Blue
- Sound deadening
- Tube Steps
- Keyless entry keypad
- Leather interior
- Floor liners
- Storage Bag
- LUX
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$59359.00

Then I got a better look at the sandstone interior - which I don't love but could live with until I saw that beige dash . . . that is rough!

Velocity Blue
- MIC Top
- Keyless entry keypad
- Floor Liners
- Storage Bag
- MGV Black seats
- 2.7 ecoboost
- LUX
- Sasquatch
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$57909.00

With the Badlands I will opt for the MGV interior, and sacrifice power seats . . . but the interior of the WT that I saw on here a couple days ago was hard to take . . . I am not going to get into rock crawling, don't need all of the capability I will be getting - and will need to remove the rock rails and add side steps at some point soon - I will be spending most of my time on asphalt but will get out on the dirt roads and logging trails from time to time but want this Sasquatch look!

Decision is not final - but every day I move a little closer . . . will probably be an 11th hour decision on December 7th . . . have also looked at optioning an OBX similarly as well but want more GOAT modes!

Good luck on your decision . . . if you like the interior I'd stick with the WT - those are better looking wheels and a little less stuff to break . . . and if your wife is like mine - 5-1, 105 - she'd appreciate the side steps that you CAN get in the WT!
Side steps are my last big deciding point. My fiance mentioned months back she wanted them but I think the vehicle looks better without them. Might just get em to make her happy. That way if she complains about all the tan inside, she can at least not complain about getting in the vehicle lol

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Side steps are my last big deciding point. My fiance mentioned months back she wanted them but I think the vehicle looks better without them. Might just get em to make her happy. That way if she complains about all the tan inside, she can at least not complain about getting in the vehicle lol
Agreed!! Does look better without the steps - it’s the decision between steps and the interior - or sacrifice the steps for a more acceptable (IMO) interior!!

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tell her to kindly not cloud the issue with facts and bring up that if there ever is a Zombie apocalypse, you’ll damned sure wish you had a sway bar disconnect when your slogging over a mountain of freshly mowed down flesh eaters.

...and then go order the damned Badlands!!!!

That’s My defense and I’m sticking to it.
Funny you should mention that... We were playing Zombicide the other day, and I was thinking, "Man... I think she might actually like a Badlands during a zombie apocolypse!

Velocity Blue
- Sound deadening
- Tube Steps
- Keyless entry keypad
- Leather interior
- Floor liners
- Storage Bag
- LUX
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$59359.00

Velocity Blue
- MIC Top
- Keyless entry keypad
- Floor Liners
- Storage Bag
- MGV Black seats
- 2.7 ecoboost
- LUX
- Sasquatch
- Tow Package
- Canvas Bimini
$57909.00

With all the changes in the build and price over the last two weeks, it's actually starting to turn around in the favor of a superiorly equipped Badlands being the better deal.

Badlands 2 Door
  • Oxford White
  • Sasquatch Package
  • Hard Top Sound Deadening
  • 2.7 EcoBoost
  • Lux Package
  • Bimini Soft Top Throw in
Base MSRP $42,095​
Options $10,229​
Destination $1,495​
Total $53,619

Versus

WildTrak 2 Door
  • Cyber Yellow
  • Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner
  • Heavy-Duty Modular Front Bumper
  • Tube Step
  • Lux Package
  • Bimini Soft Top Throw in
Base MSRP $46,980
Options $6,159
Destination $1,495
Total $54,634

Difference of $1,015 in favor of the Badlands at this point. With my down payment and an expected 2.9% APR I'm looking at around $222 a month for the WildTrack and $210 a month for the Badlands. Both are very affordable options.

Most are saying "Switch to the WT", but I think for our usage the Badlands washout interior is the way to go. Not to mention, reports are that the Marine Grade Vinyl in the BL is phenomenal.

My wife is 5' 0.5" and she counts that half inch every time. I'm going to need that sidestep for sure. I'm only 5'9" myself and I've got a bionic right leg, so getting in and out will always be an adventure.

One thing I have read is that the side steps and rock rails are all body mounted, which isn't really good for off-roading. I'm thinking I'm going to need a frame mounted slide rail regardless down the line. One that has a built in step would be ideal.

Good feedback, though, thanks everyone!

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a similar diacuasion with my wife and now I'm onto 2 different(but similar) builds. But at $8k different, not $100.
And it really hit home pointing out that I probably wont be going rock crawling in my brand new $40k+ vehicle.
She wants me to be happy and have every option I want, whether i use it regularly or not, but we both know that is the manual trans gets offered to a larger engine, I am jumping ship real quick.
Sponsored