First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Guys - Thought I'd share some info on hail damage, it seems our Bronco's hood gets hail damage fairly easily. In CO we had a decent storm Wednesday and hail was about 1/4 -1/2 inch. We get this size every year in CO and it never does any damage to our vehicles but after looking at my Bronco the Hood is peppered with about 50 little dents. My GMC HD was parked right next to it and didn't get a single dent. The fenders, doors, and windshield frame also didn't get a single dent just the hood. I will be putting a large blanket in the garage to drape over the hood for future events but thought I'd share the info.
Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The hood is aluminum. Same with my Escape. Doesn't do well in hail. The good news is PDR takes care of it without any issues for that size.

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya that's what the PDR guy said, I'm taking it down for an estimate here in 30min.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Previous Raptor would do great in hail, almost golf ball size too. Other friends Ram got messed up in same weather and same area. Was curious how Bronco would hold up as we are expecting hail this weekend. Billboard signs re-purposed as tarps might do well in hail.

Kdubwalker

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hood is aluminum. Same with my Escape. Doesn't do well in hail. The good news is PDR takes care of it without any issues for that size.
What is PDR? Sorry for my ignorance

Sponsored

PDRbyEddie

Black Diamond
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Aluminum is tougher to work than steel, and cost 20% more to repair. Small dents aren’t too bad, but larger dents can be problematic to repair with PDR.

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Aluminum is tougher to work than steel, and cost 20% more to repair. Small dents aren’t too bad, but larger dents can be problematic to repair with PDR.
Ya my estimate for just the hood is $1800.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

lol, yeah I’ve been doing PDR since 96. I’d be upgrading to the ADV fiberglass hood with the scoop. 👍🏽
You guys are artists IMO. My Escape hood looked like someone went after it with a 16 oz ball peen hammer. Looked like new afterwards. The second time they had to replace it but the rest of the vehicle was all just PDR. We are on the third time now. It’s a charm I’ve been told!

Sponsored
OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
lol, yeah I’ve been doing PDR since 96. I’d be upgrading to the ADV fiberglass hood with the scoop. 👍🏽
I actually liked this idea so I went to see how much it would be, just to get the hood to our house is over $1800. So add another $500-1000 for paint and it's pricey, I think I'll do PDR this time but if it happens again I'll be switching!

Now that I know this thing dents so easily I'll have a backup plan for hail weather!

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I actually liked this idea so I went to see how much it would be, just to get the hood to our house is over $1800. So add another $500-1000 for paint and it's pricey, I think I'll do PDR this time but if it happens again I'll be switching!

Now that I know this thing dents so easily I'll have a backup plan for hail weather!
I used quilted moving blankets for the last threat this last week…a bitch to dry but very portable and should be thick enough to protect some🤞

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used quilted moving blankets for the last threat this last week…a bitch to dry but very portable and should be thick enough to protect some🤞
Exactly what I'll be doing but the wool moving blankets, I have a few in the garage already just need to figure out how to keep them on the car in the wind.

Good news is my PDR guy came down to $1100 for a cash deal, Bronco goes in Tuesday!

OP
OP
CMillBronco

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d buy an ADV hood, have it painted, and call it good!
I hear ya but at $2500 for the hood painted vs $1100 PDR I think I'm going to try the OEM hood one more time.
Sponsored

Reactions: 0ne