Sponsored

Handling Problem On Hard Braking (2 Door)

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've got a 2-door Base, Auto, 2.7 (if that makes a difference)... tires usually at 37-39 PSI.

I've had to brake somewhat hard on our good ole California freeways twice now, and noticed the Bronco pulling a bit to the right (at least I think it was to the right) to the point that the handling was not good at all, and I had to definitely steer the wheel and let up on the brake a bit just to remain in decent control. Definitely no straight-line stopping here!

This last time... I was going about 70, and had to slow down to about 30-35. The 1st time... probably was going 65 and had to slow down to 20, and the same situation occurred.

Anybody else experience this issue?

And please... do respond that this is what happens with a short wheelbase 2-door.
I have a 96 short bed Toyota pickup with about same wheelbase -- it doesn't do that.
I previously owned a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2-door -- it didn't do that.
And before that I owned a 2-door 89 Mitsu Montero -- it didn't do that.
And before that... an 1980 FJ40 -- and it didn't do that.

Any suggestions or like-kind experneices would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how crowned was the road you were practicing emergency braking on?

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had to brake pretty hard a couple of times and also noticed that it pulls slightly to the right, but unfortunately I don't remember exactly how the steering felt when it happened.

2.7L 4-door with SAS

OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well... I wasn't "practicing" braking. I was braking to avoid an accident.

In regard to "crown" I'd say there wasn't much of any. The last time this happened I was in the 3rd west-bound lane from the left out of 5 west-bound lanes. Pretty flat stretch of road (in regard to crown).

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At the speed limit that you experienced this pull when breaking hard. If traveling at that speed again if you let go of the wheel does the bronco start to wonder or the steering is solid and holds going strait?

2nd, how many miles of the odometer

3rd as silly as this may sound have you done some serious off roading.

As those 35” dont do well unbalanced, miss inflated tires rotate at different speeds. Just throwing stuff just to see what sticks

I have a 23 with 4300 miles with one 5 tire rotation under its belt, some 100 miles of level 3 off roading and have not experienced the phenomena described

Sponsored
OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Two threads here...

My Bronco steers straight.. as long as there isn't a crown in the road. Balance is glass smooth. Tire size = 32s. Riding on OBX tires and rims, although I might switch back to 16/30s just to see if it still happens.

No off roading at all for me. Just hit 3500 miles on the odometer. Got delivery in November 2022.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never had any issues with mine. Brakes are great

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a similar issue but was going 50 down a gravel trail. I stopped in time but was a bit squirrelly. My wife may never get in the Bronco again as a result. So...Win?

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Experienced this decades ago on a 67. Hard braking from 55-60 on a downhill paved 2 lane. Swore me off Broncos for 40 years

Jason Sandsux

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22? Bronco and 77 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
sounds like you're an experienced driver with short wheel base and large tires so you know something's not right. Really there are too many variables that can cause this besides a defective vehicle so I'd recommend trying to duplicate the problem when you don't have something to crash into in front of you. As you know, tire wear, pressures, human input to the steering, crown, road conditions etc all are possible culprits.
I have not had similar issues with my 2dr on 33's.
Good luck figuring it out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Owl

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mr. Sandsux... what model are you driving? I'd think something above a Big Bend or any SAS model would have larger/different brakes than the standard 2DR Base.

I will be trying to duplicate on some vacant road. I also might put my 16/30s back on (Base package) and see if that makes a difference. I wouldn't think a 2" difference in tire size would make a difference, but just kind of blue-skying the issue. Also will make sure that tires (my current OBX tires) are pumped up to 39 before my next test.

I wonder (don't really know) if the software for traction control could be an issue. I remember in someone's Forscan post where you can set the tire size. I assumed this was for correct speedometer, but I wonder if there are any other hooks.

Yes... I'm just trying to figure out any issues that might make a difference. I'll probably end up at the Ford dealer, but that doesn't mean there is a solution they know of.

Jason Sandsux

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22? Bronco and 77 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine's a 23' base. I put BD wheels on it with 285/75/17 BFG AT tires.
The challenge bringing it to a dealer is they'll need to duplicate the problem so if you can do some testing ahead of time and find the scenario when it happens that'll be a step in the right direction.
Good luck with it.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is interesting as I have an identical vehicle and have this issue as well. I just figured this is something to do with the big tires as this is my first truck. While driving at speed it does not pull any direction.

I have yet to have my first rotation so everything is still factory. 43psi, which is what it came from the factory with. Also I have only taken it down gravel & level B roads besides paved

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've heard (from an alignment guy I trust) that some manufacturers "set" the alignment by raw measurement of adjustable parts like tie rods, but only truly align a handful of vehicles off the line. I'm not sure if this is true for Ford or the Bronco, but it could be a contributing factor.
Sponsored