First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Based on the car and driver article, it sounds like it's time to pray they don't repeat the Mustang issues.
Yeah I can't imagine they wouldn't put this one through it's paces - it does say it's an entirely new architecture.

Ultimately it's a gamble i'm taking, and i'll get the ESP For powertrain only.

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW, I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the MT-82 from new.
I had a main cluster bearing fail, which gave me a supercharger whine at about 10,000 miles (2013 ish). Trans was rebuilt under warranty after waiting weeks for parts. Rebuild was also bad, had what was determined to be trans rollover. (trans made bad noises stopped with the clutch depressed) I demanded a new trans and 3 months later got one. That trans is still in the car, now with 46,000 miles and is just about perfect. I do have an aftermarket MGW Shifter, stainless clutch line, trans mount bushing and 2 years ago I installed an aftermarket clutch/lightweight flywheel. (Exedy Mach 500). In cold weather it shifts a little slow for 5 minutes, then no issues. Many many 12 sec quarter mile runs @ 3900 lbs shifting about 7200 rpm.

If they offered the MT-88 with the V6 I would buy it.
I ordered a Badlands v6 auto lux.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never owned a manual Mustang, but I test drove a '20 GT and though it need a short shifter and stainless steel clutch line.

If I weren't committed to the Bronco, would of gone with a Mustang GT, but alas, I know what to look for in the Bronco and hopefully they'll have solutions soon enough

Bob

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2011 GT with the 6 spd manual. 85,000 miles no problems at all. I can beat synchros into 2, 3rd when cold. Take my time with the first few shifts or double clutch. I ordered the 7spd, 2 door Bronco with no concerns. Not happy the trans is built in China.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been able to drive it! (Ford Engineer for those who don't know) not sure what I can say that might endanger my employment but I think its pretty good. I have also driven a focus ST, mustang and manual fusion and honestly most modern manuals feel the same to me (maybe just from ford). Part of that is because I have a really old manual truck that drives more like a tractor so by that benchmark any new stuff is effortless to the point of almost feeling numb lol. I also tried the crawl gear and low range and it is LOOOOOOW. Whether you are at idle or basically full throttle it barely feels like a change in ground speed, which ultimately is the goal of crawl gear. You want to have almost independent command of engine load and ground speed. Its plenty zippy with the 2.3l as well.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
G
FWIW, I have a 2011 Mustang GT with the MT-82 from new.
I had a main cluster bearing fail, which gave me a supercharger whine at about 10,000 miles (2013 ish). Trans was rebuilt under warranty after waiting weeks for parts. Rebuild was also bad, had what was determined to be trans rollover. (trans made bad noises stopped with the clutch depressed) I demanded a new trans and 3 months later got one. That trans is still in the car, now with 46,000 miles and is just about perfect. I do have an aftermarket MGW Shifter, stainless clutch line, trans mount bushing and 2 years ago I installed an aftermarket clutch/lightweight flywheel. (Exedy Mach 500). In cold weather it shifts a little slow for 5 minutes, then no issues. Many many 12 sec quarter mile runs @ 3900 lbs shifting about 7200 rpm.

If they offered the MT-88 with the V6 I would buy it.
I ordered a Badlands v6 auto lux.
glad to you know you got it fixed. The new transmission you got, is it another MT82 or is a swap? Sounds like mT82 and it's working well.

If getrag messes up another ford MT i think it might be another nail in the coffin of MTs... I have had experience with cold start up and making sure the car is warm before getting too quick with the shifts. Luckily i live in a generally warm climate now so warmup time is short.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been able to drive it! (Ford Engineer for those who don't know) not sure what I can say that might endanger my employment but I think its pretty good. I have also driven a focus ST, mustang and manual fusion and honestly most modern manuals feel the same to me (maybe just from ford). Part of that is because I have a really old manual truck that drives more like a tractor so by that benchmark any new stuff is effortless to the point of almost feeling numb lol. I also tried the crawl gear and low range and it is LOOOOOOW. Whether you are at idle or basically full throttle it barely feels like a change in ground speed, which ultimately is the goal of crawl gear. You want to have almost independent command of engine load and ground speed. Its plenty zippy with the 2.3l as well.
music to my ears! thank you for your input. Which trim did you drive it on? How long was your test drive?

Also, any idea if any of the test mules are currently MTs?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The new MT got to be better than the 1966 three on the tree.
You new kids and your fancy new transmissions always saying they are bad.... The late 60's Ford 3-on-the-tree's were soooooo much better than the non synchronized early 1950's Chevy 3-on-the-tree. Although, to be fair, driving anything post WWII that hadn't received it's full post-war remodeling was essentially driving pre-war tech.

I love the pre-war 3 in my '51. It's notchy as all hell, takes a fair bit of timing and clutch modulation to engage the gears, loses every rev available between shifts, is slow, and absolutely blows your mind how fun it it to row between gears, even with the bench seat being a proper spring and clutch modulation causing you to bounce up to the headliner with the weight transition in your body. It's glorious and makes you feel like a million bucks!

Never before have (most) other people been so happy to be going 50 mph on the freeway stuck behind some old car. Tons of 1-finger waves, I guess it's some 50's car thing? Wonder how many fingers Bronco owners will wave at each other on the roads?

Edit: To stay on topic: I haven't read any independent review of the Bronco 7mt or any comment that wasn't "Ford Speak"......

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

music to my ears! thank you for your input. Which trim did you drive it on? How long was your test drive?

Also, any idea if any of the test mules are currently MTs?
There are unsurprisingly more autos out and about, just more volume and configuration, but there definitely are manual test rigs. I was driving a 2 door badlands and we only drove it a couple miles if that. Even if I could spend all day in it that wouldn't tell me anything about long term durability. I simply enjoyed the opportunity to zip around in the manual more or less to get a feel for it. I dread driving my truck in traffic and this I could already tell would be much much better for all around drivability so I am ordering the manual.

(I also have no real intentions of doing an engine swap but if I WERE to swap in a certain 2.0 diesel that ford makes it would be less of a headache with a manual.)

Sponsored

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
G

glad to you know you got it fixed. The new transmission you got, is it another MT82 or is a swap? Sounds like mT82 and it's working well.

If getrag messes up another ford MT i think it might be another nail in the coffin of MTs... I have had experience with cold start up and making sure the car is warm before getting too quick with the shifts. Luckily i live in a generally warm climate now so warmup time is short.
My replacement is an MT-82, 2012/2013 internals. I looked into a Magnum XL, but since I was still under warranty I didn't want to be out of pocket 5K+ to fix it myself.
In my opinion, the MT-82 is geared perfectly for a mustang.
I would have needed a rear gear change to match what I have with the MT-82 and 3.31 gear. 4:30 or 4:88 depending on which magnum xl ratio set.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you cold tested it? That MT-82 is a real booger in the cold climates until the trans is nice and warmed up. Also do you know if its cable actuated?

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you cold tested it? That MT-82 is a real booger in the cold climates until the trans is nice and warmed up. Also do you know if its cable actuated?
I believe it is cable actuated from what i remember reading.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My replacement is an MT-82, 2012/2013 internals. I looked into a Magnum XL, but since I was still under warranty I didn't want to be out of pocket 5K+ to fix it myself.
In my opinion, the MT-82 is geared perfectly for a mustang.
I would have needed a rear gear change to match what I have with the MT-82 and 3.31 gear. 4:30 or 4:88 depending on which magnum xl ratio set.
makes sense - i wonder if the MT82 replacements were modified in any way, or maybe they used different oils once installed? Or maybe the earlier batches were just bad from a QC perspective?

I remember reading a lot about it at one point but I wasn't sure if anyone ever actually came out and said what the specific problem was. Lots of finger pointing. I guess the lawsuits will bring some of that out?

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should clarify that though I work for Ford, I do not work on Bronco. I do know a lot about it but am not directly involved with any regular testing unfortunately.
Sponsored