Sponsored

Who on here has driven several models and can give an opinion on the differences?

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's coming up on the time to reorder for those of us that didn't get a Bronco this year. I was thinking of switching trims, if I don't lose my spot by doing that, and if it makes sense to do so.

I have ordered a Badlands sasquatch, high package. I really wanted all the bells and whistles, and the washout interior, but with the way costs are nowadays I'm starting to second guess that.

I'm new to off roading, so it's not like I will be doing it all the time, but I wanted something amazing and worth the price.

Has anyone driven the Badlands and other trims? I would like to know if the ride is smoother on the BL compared to other trims. Yes, I know I can't get the high package on the base, BB, or BD, but will the ride also be rougher on the other trims? Also, are there still drain plugs on the other trims with carpet; i.e. can the carpet be removed? I guess I am really trying to decide if the other trims would be so much less capable than the BL. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ride is different with the Badlands and any of the trims with Sasquatch compared to lower trims without the HOSS setup. The non HOSS feels a lot more like your average road car and isn't quite as bouncy. The HOSS feels like you're in a side by side or a go-kart. You're going to notice the nose dive when braking and the nose lift with acceleration. It's still very composed, but feels a bit floaty.

Ive not off-road driven either yet, only on road. With that said, I would not buy a non HOSS equiped Bronco if you plan on off road driving unless you also plan on upgrading the suspension. It'll do fine for your average forest road, but all the reviews seem to state that you lose a lot of the high speed capability off road. It's subjective but some think the non HOSS is better on road. I like the bouncy nature of lifted vehicles though.

Justin McBride is a great source on this and just recently posted some videos.

This is the non HOSS video. Compare it to his most recent video where he drives a Badlands.

All Broncos have passive drain holes under the carpet from what I've read, but only the Badlands and Black Diamond have the removable plugs.

I wouldn't rip the carpet out but they do make rubber full floor mats thatll cover it up nicely.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've driven a non-sas OBX 4 door, a Sas OBX 2 door, a manual 2 door BL, a non-sas BL 4 door and a sas BL 4 door. The 2 different BL 4 doors were at the off roadeo so I can't tell you about road manners on those. The OBX non-sas 4 door seemed to have the best road manners and overall drove like a new model truck. The 2 door OBX sas was definitely bouncier than the others, but you throw 35's and off road suspension on a short wheel base and that's going to happen, it wasn't nearly as bad a comparable Jeep though. The manual 2 door BL was definitely the most fun to drive.

OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The ride is different with the Badlands and any of the trims with Sasquatch compared to lower trims without the HOSS setup. The non HOSS feels a lot more like your average road car and isn't quite as bouncy. The HOSS feels like you're in a side by side or a go-kart. You're going to notice the nose dive when braking and the nose lift with acceleration. It's still very composed, but feels a bit floaty.

Ive not off-road driven either yet, only on road. With that said, I would not buy a non HOSS equiped Bronco if you plan on off road driving unless you also plan on upgrading the suspension. It'll do fine for your average forest road, but all the reviews seem to state that you lose a lot of the high speed capability off road. It's subjective but some think the non HOSS is better on road. I like the bouncy nature of lifted vehicles though.

Justin McBride is a great source on this and just recently posted some videos.

This is the non HOSS video. Compare it to his most recent video where he drives a Badlands.

All Broncos have passive drain holes under the carpet from what I've read, but only the Badlands and Black Diamond have the removable plugs.

I wouldn't rip the carpet out but they do make rubber full floor mats thatll cover it up nicely.
Thanks for responding. I'm definitely getting sasquatch no matter what trim I get. I was just wondering if BL has so much more and is so much better than the others, specifically BD. I don't know much about cars, let alone this type of vehicle. I just didn't know if the BL has better shocks, etc. and is a smoother ride on and off road.

OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've driven a non-sas OBX 4 door, a Sas OBX 2 door, a manual 2 door BL, a non-sas BL 4 door and a sas BL 4 door. The 2 different BL 4 doors were at the off roadeo so I can't tell you about road manners on those. The OBX non-sas 4 door seemed to have the best road manners and overall drove like a new model truck. The 2 door OBX sas was definitely bouncier than the others, but you throw 35's and off road suspension on a short wheel base and that's going to happen, it wasn't nearly as bad a comparable Jeep though. The manual 2 door BL was definitely the most fun to drive.
Thanks for responding. Wow, you have driven a lot of Broncos.
I'm definitely getting a 4 door, V6 and sasquatch. I guess I am just trying to figure it all out.

I was thinking maybe the BL rides best on and off road due to the different configuration not found on other trims, e.g. shocks, etc. I'm not sure that's true, that is why I am asking.

When it comes down to it, I would save about $5-6k by getting a Black Diamond mid package over a Badlands high package. While that is a lot of money to me, is it worth saving that in the long run considering all you get with the BL high?

It's just with all the things going on in the world, and jobs that may be a little up in the air, I'm re-evaluating everything. I have the money saved up to get a base outright, but then I can't even get the washout floor or the mid package. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm definitely getting a 4 door, V6 and sasquatch. I guess I am just trying to figure it all out.

I was thinking maybe the BL rides best on and off road due to the different configuration not found on other trims, e.g. shocks, etc. I'm not sure that's true, that is why I am asking.

When it comes down to it, I would save about $5-6k by getting a Black Diamond mid package over a Badlands high package. While that is a lot of money to me, is it worth saving that in the long run considering all you get with the BL high?

It's just with all the things going on in the world, and jobs that may be a little up in the air, I'm re-evaluating everything. I have the money saved up to get a base outright, but then I can't even get the washout floor or the mid package. Decisions, decisions...
All Sasquatch Broncos have the "high ride" HOSS suspension, so V6 Sasquatch will ride identically across all trims, the only mechanical difference then becomes the sway bar disconnect, which you won't be using on the road. So it really comes down to 2 things; do you need the disconnect? And do you need the high package?

OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All Sasquatch Broncos have the "high ride" HOSS suspension, so V6 Sasquatch will ride identically across all trims, the only mechanical difference then becomes the sway bar disconnect, which you won't be using on the road. So it really comes down to 2 things; do you need the disconnect? And do you need the high package?
I thought the BL had a different suspension, or something besides just the sway bar disconnect. Thank you for clearing that up.
Now I just have to really think about what to do.

If you are going to do more off roading, do you think the sway bar is important, or just a nice to have?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I thought the BL had a different suspension, or something besides just the sway bar disconnect. Thank you for clearing that up.

If you are going to do more off roading, do you think the sway bar is important, or just a nice to have?
The stock Badlands suspension is different but the SAS suspension is the same on all trims.

Last edited:

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sounds like your experience with offraoding is minimal and probably wouldn't he the best idea going into something that requires a sway bar disconnect lol. But if you are planning on doing the offraoding a lot and believe at some point you will need it then go with the badlands. I was going to get the badlands but realized I didn't need the sway bar and I'm good with both lockers instead. Plenty for me as I'm not a offroad expert.

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wildtrack has Sport mode, badlands does NOT!

Sponsored
OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The stock Badlands suspension is different but the SAS suspension is the same on all trims.
Yes, I'm a newbie. I'm not absolutely positive I will be off-roading constantly, but I don't want to get something less and find out I needed it.

Does the suspension on the stock BL make a huge difference compared to the others? I'm getting sas either way. Thanks

OP
OP
tracythemighty

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wildtrack has Sport mode, badlands does NOT!
You're right, but I was wondering if I should try to save money and WT is more.

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're right, but I was wondering if I should try to save money and WT is more.
Really decide if you have to have a sway bar disconnect or not? I didn’t need that. I’d rather have sport mode over rock crawl.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for responding. I'm definitely getting sasquatch no matter what trim I get. I was just wondering if BL has so much more and is so much better than the others, specifically BD. I don't know much about cars, let alone this type of vehicle. I just didn't know if the BL has better shocks, etc. and is a smoother ride on and off road.
Badlands has sway bar disconnect if you don’t need that I’d so go blackdiamond Sasquatch but keep in my mind you cant get high pakage on a black diamond this could possibly change for 22 who knows.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

When I look at all the vehicles lined up at the Off-Roadeo, I look for a Badlands to set my butt in for the day. The sway bar disconnect makes the ride significantly more smooth (side to side motion is greatly reduced). I get everyone who is in a BL try it both ways and all agree its WAY better. Badlands (or FE in my case) for the win. The high package cameras are also nice on trails where the terrain changes constantly and you can't see whats coming up right in front of you. Is any of that needed? Nope, I would rock a BaseSquatch and have a blast, but the little things make it nicer, especially day to day. Counterpoint would be the manual disconnects (when available) would allow the suspension to stay disconnected ALL the time and not reconnect whenever you get over 20mph. That would be a nice feature, and hopefully forscan or some other tuning platform will allow for the speed to be increased. That is my only real gripe of the hydraulic disconnect.
Sponsored