Sponsored

GOAT modes - differences between Bronco models?

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi folks:

I was slated to get a FE, but my dealer screwed me over and sold it out from under me. Won't deal with him/them again, but anyway. I have a Wrangler 392 on order that I'm excited about, but I'm thinking that it's going to be a garage queen. So I'm coming up with something to use for my winter DD (Bronco vs Jeep JT vs a mammoth Hummer ev). I live in an area with a decent amount of snow, and live on a small mountain (white knuckling up and down it). I'm also interested in some off roading. I'm in PA, so no major rock crawling, but a little of it as well as less rocky trails.

I had assumed that every model had pretty much the same GOAT modes, but now I see that's not totally true. I was looking at the outerbanks, but I see the GOAT modes are a bit different between that and the Wildtrac. My main concern is snow driving, especially up and down my hill. I see that both have 'slippery' mode which I assume is the one I would use for that driving, but it seems the outerbanks has sand/snow and sport while the Wildtrac has rockcrawl, and baja, but not sport.

This is my source: https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/ford-bronco-goat-modes-explained

I did a search on the forums, but didn't see too much on this specific thing. Anyone have any comment on the differences, especially real world experience?

With snowy hill driving with a little off road/mild rock crawling, would outerbanks be enough or would wildtrak be better? I would likely get sasquatch on whatever one I would get.

Side note: I haven't been keeping up with Bronco stuff that much over the last year, but I am loving the Azure Gray color. Pretty much my favorite color for an auto.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can unlock all goat modes with Forscan.

Slippery mode is good for this, it dumbs down the throttle and shift points as well as puts vehicle in 4A if equiped (I am not sure if it it goes to 4hi without the full time transfer case).

Pretty sure this chart is accurate but I reserve the right to be wrong.
Ford Bronco GOAT modes - differences between Bronco models? 1665159282408

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ah, very helpful. Thanks!

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've found that sport mode is pretty sweet especially if you have a non-sas with better road manners. It definitely gives you a more responsive throttle and a little more umph off the line.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking about. I think Iā€™d like to have that right off the bat. I canā€™t imagine ever using baja, so that makes me think outer banks would be fine, or even black diamond.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love sport mode in my F150, can't wait to try it out on my Bronco I'm picking up today.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ah I need lux so Black diamond is out. Looks like itā€™s between outer banks and wild track based mainly on looks in the end.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say the 4A case will make a bigger difference than the drive modes for the use cases you described. I think SQ comes with 4A regardless of model.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
From what I have read you would only use the sand mode for snow if you were in real deep snow. For me in the winter last year, just switching back and forth between 2h and 4h was enough to get through the snow. I did use the slippery goat mode once when we had some freezing rain mixed with snow covered roads but I wasn't a fan of it.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
On my last wrangler JKU and current FJ, thatā€™s all Iā€™ve done. I want to optimize snow driving though. However, for all I know the throttle changes could rock it on my hill or they could be a fail.

After my builds, itā€™s a difference of 3k. I like color matched fenders on the outer banks, but Iā€™d probably go with wild trac in the end.

Sponsored

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A wild trac is basically an OBX with the sas package. And worse colored interior.
if you can get the advanced transfer case it seemed to work pretty good last year through the winter for me.

OP
OP
Dral97

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
And worse colored interior.
Agree, now that I look at it. :unsure: Maybe OB is the way to go. And just checked, can get 4A on it as an option.

Last edited:

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Agree, now that I look at it. :unsure: Maybe OB is the way to go. And just checked, can get 4A on it as an option.
That's how I went. OBX with the 4.27 rear locker and 4A. I'm in the North East, and last winter she got through the snow like a champ.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've found that sport mode is pretty sweet especially if you have a non-sas with better road manners. It definitely gives you a more responsive throttle and a little more umph off the line.
I leave it on all the time!!

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can unlock all goat modes with Forscan.

Slippery mode is good for this, it dumbs down the throttle and shift points as well as puts vehicle in 4A if equiped (I am not sure if it it goes to 4hi without the full time transfer case).

Pretty sure this chart is accurate but I reserve the right to be wrong.
Ford Bronco GOAT modes - differences between Bronco models? 1665159282408
Dont some GOAT Modes require a Rear Locker, &/or Front Locker?
For Example: If you have a Base Non-SAS, and no Lockers - WHat happens to the GOAT Modes that require / use a locker?
Sponsored