First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The rock crawl mode will automatically lock the difs, disconnect the sway bar, and change the driveline to 4 LOW.
It is all electronic now. And the buttons light up when activated. So it would make sense.

Also would explain how that “tight turn” mode works
Simply turn it on once. And the diffs will be locked until you get to a turn. As soon as you start turning tight. The rear diff unlocks, inside wheel brakes and you turn super tight. You straighten the wheel. Tire unlocks. Diff relocks. All by it self.

Vs what a wrangler would have to do.
Unlock rear end by hand.
Apply e-brake.
Turn.
Release brake.
Re lock rear.

Lots of buttons to push.
Sponsored

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but is this stuff you guys say backed by the technical spec or is it a guess?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not trying to be argumentative here but is this stuff you guys say backed by the technical spec or is it a guess?
Just all guessing now. (Other than what the modes are)
We’re just trying to make sense how it all works.

Ford engineers have said the goat modes will control lockers and sway bar if you want

As well as shifting, throttle and steering assists and breaking

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Fair enough...

The rock crawl mode will automatically lock the difs, disconnect the sway bar, and change the driveline to 4 LOW. The whole idea is for the system to quickly and seamlessly transform the vehicle for the best performance on each terrain. For example if you are offroading on some course that has multiple types of terrain you can quickly change all the vehicle settings on the fly with a twist of a knob instead of having to stop and press multiple buttons to adjust settings.
And how about You sir... just a guess... or is what you say backed up by the technical specification?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Normal - Duh
Eco - Soft shifting, gear changes focused on max mpg.
Sport - (Manual shifting or high rev shifts) fast shifts. Probably open up exhaust damns. Traction control off. Tight steering
Slippery - AWD (if equipped) traction control fully on. Gradual gear changes.
Sand - AWD. Traction control on. High rev gears
Mud 4WD low range. Both locks. Traction off. Limited to 1st gear
Baja - 4WD. Rear lock only. Traction off. Fast gear changes. Tight steering.
Rock - 4WD low range. both locks. Lock. Front sway disconnect. Tradition off. 1 pedal driving. Limited to 1st gear.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
None are required. Some people will like the modes, some people won't use them at all. Other than the trans/engine/traction stuff, they mostly do things that you can do yourself in a different way.

Here is my guess:
ECO - crap performance for better mpg (low rpms, slow to downshift/accelerate), 2wd
Sport - for street use, hold higher RPMs (high power range, full turbo), aggressive downshift, firm steering, 2wd
Slippery - 4A, low RPMs, smooth shift, reduced throttle response, aggressive traction control, soft steer
Sand/Mud - 4H, engage locker(s), minimal traction control, max stability, max steering assist, high rpm shift point, moderate throttle response
Ruts - 4H, engage locker(s), moderate traction control, max stability, maximum steering assist, moderate throttle response and shift points
Crawl - 4L, engage locker(s), minimum traction control, soften throttle/trans response, max steering assist, forward camera setting
Baja - 4H, high RPMs (high power range, full turbo), max throttle response, soft steering, relaxed traction/stability

After selecting a mode, you can still change stuff, such turning off the lockers or switching 4H to 4A.
A lot of that sounds like it would be completely wasted on rig with a manual transmission. Particularly ECO and sport.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I think what they did in the bronco bs raptor.

Sand/mud in raptor is 4H

Where I think in the bronco it’s
4H AWD for sand

4H Lockers for mud.

That’s the only major difference I see
These make sense with an automatic transmission...

Bronco007

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Normal - Duh
Eco - Soft shifting, gear changes focused on max mpg.
Sport - (Manual shifting or high rev shifts) fast shifts. Probably open up exhaust damns. Traction control off. Tight steering
Slippery - AWD (if equipped) traction control fully on. Gradual gear changes.
Sand - AWD. Traction control on. High rev gears
Mud 4WD low range. Both locks. Traction off. Limited to 1st gear
Baja - 4WD. Rear lock only. Traction off. Fast gear changes. Tight steering.
Rock - 4WD low range. both locks. Lock. Front sway disconnect. Tradition off. 1 pedal driving. Limited to 1st gear.
So this may sound like a dumb question but I’m still confused a bit with “sport mode”. Will sport mode be using 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive? I was thinking the goat modes was for 4 wheel drive selections. In other words, is there a big or any difference than driving in 4Auto? I’m still deciding whether Badlands or Wildtrack. I happen to have a leadfoot and tend to drive aggressively so trying to figure out if sport mode will be worth it for me. I really want a Badland with rubber floor and Vinyl seats thou!

Sponsored

Bronco007

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this may sound like a dumb question but I’m still confused a bit with “sport mode”. Will sport mode be using 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive? I was thinking the goat modes was for 4 wheel drive selections. In other words, is there a big or any difference than driving in 4Auto? I’m still deciding whether Badlands or Wildtrack. I happen to have a leadfoot and tend to drive aggressively so trying to figure out if sport mode will be worth it for me. I really want a Badland with rubber floor and Vinyl seats thou!
The following post from ZackDanger just answered my question. Thanks

Applehead

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco base model
Your Bronco Model
Base
None are required. Some people will like the modes, some people won't use them at all. Other than the trans/engine/traction stuff, they mostly do things that you can do yourself in a different way.

Here is my guess:
ECO - crap performance for better mpg (low rpms, slow to downshift/accelerate), 2wd
Sport - for street use, hold higher RPMs (high power range, full turbo), aggressive downshift, firm steering, 2wd
Slippery - 4A, low RPMs, smooth shift, reduced throttle response, aggressive traction control, soft steer
Sand/Mud - 4H, engage locker(s), minimal traction control, max stability, max steering assist, high rpm shift point, moderate throttle response
Ruts - 4H, engage locker(s), moderate traction control, max stability, maximum steering assist, moderate throttle response and shift points
Crawl - 4L, engage locker(s), minimum traction control, soften throttle/trans response, max steering assist, forward camera setting
Baja - 4H, high RPMs (high power range, full turbo), max throttle response, soft steering, relaxed traction/stability

After selecting a mode, you can still change stuff, such turning off the lockers or switching 4H to 4A.
So is there any point to these modes if you have a base model with a manual transmission?

I have noticed that sport mode is an absolute beast for acceleration on mine. Bye bye gas mileage though. That is the only thing I can really think it would change on a base model.

(This is my first post)

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So is there any point to these modes if you have a base model with a manual transmission?

I have noticed that sport mode is an absolute beast for acceleration on mine. Bye bye gas mileage though. That is the only thing I can really think it would change on a base model.

(This is my first post)
The engine response, traction control, and steering effort settings would apply to all Broncos including base manual without lockers. For example, the modes are the only way to change the steering effort.

Note that these old posts are speculative, so refer to the actual mode tables in the Bronco manual.
Sponsored