First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are unsurprisingly more autos out and about, just more volume and configuration, but there definitely are manual test rigs. I was driving a 2 door badlands and we only drove it a couple miles if that. Even if I could spend all day in it that wouldn't tell me anything about long term durability. I simply enjoyed the opportunity to zip around in the manual more or less to get a feel for it. I dread driving my truck in traffic and this I could already tell would be much much better for all around drivability so I am ordering the manual.

(I also have no real intentions of doing an engine swap but if I WERE to swap in a certain 2.0 diesel that ford makes it would be less of a headache with a manual.)
I think you may open a whole new can of worms with the diesel swap idea... my eyes just perked up a little bit.... i have dreams of a manual diesel...
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The complete lack of info and ability to even talk to someone who has driven it, let alone test drive it myself, made me decide it's too risky and go to the 10AT.

That's the "official" version.
The real truth is that I wanted the MT and my wife wanted an AT, so we compromised and got the AT :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
The complete lack of info and ability to even talk to someone who has driven it, let alone test drive it myself, made me decide it's too risky and go to the 10AT.

The real truth is that I wanted the MT and my wife wanted an AT, so we compromised and got the AT :ROFLMAO:
I agree the lack of real information is frustrating. why can't they just give one to car and driver or an offroad magazine?

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
makes sense - i wonder if the MT82 replacements were modified in any way, or maybe they used different oils once installed? Or maybe the earlier batches were just bad from a QC perspective?

I remember reading a lot about it at one point but I wasn't sure if anyone ever actually came out and said what the specific problem was. Lots of finger pointing. I guess the lawsuits will bring some of that out?
I think it was just properly qc'd bearings and/or install.
Aren't most involved in the class action suit from gen 2 and gen 3 MT 82's? I know the gen 3's have shift forks made out of glass.

I had a problem and it was taken care of under warranty, although it sucked at the time.
If you want the manual I would just buy it.
If they offered it with the V6 that would have been my order.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wanted a manual and heated seats ... alas, Ford has deemed manual drivers are peasants.
As the Bronco will be my daily, its 10A with heated seats and passive keyless entry.

:(

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wanted a manual and heated seats ... alas, Ford has deemed manual drivers are peasants.
As the Bronco will be my daily, its 10A with heated seats and passive keyless entry.

:(
I hear you on the heated seats. I'm going manual squatch and just going to do heated/cooled katzkins installed aftermarket. Should extend the top-off season.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it was just properly qc'd bearings and/or install.
Aren't most involved in the class action suit from gen 2 and gen 3 MT 82's? I know the gen 3's have shift forks made out of glass.

I had a problem and it was taken care of under warranty, although it sucked at the time.
If you want the manual I would just buy it.
If they offered it with the V6 that would have been my order.
Yep like i said in my OP i'm definitely getting the manual, waiting for squatch... just itching for some first hand drive reports!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I can't imagine they wouldn't put this one through it's paces - it does say it's an entirely new architecture.

Ultimately it's a gamble i'm taking, and i'll get the ESP For powertrain only.
Agreed the new manual trans is a wildcard at this point, without a service history to judge. Regardless I'm leaning manual, because past automatics have generally been unkind to me in terms of service life, compared to manuals.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other than reliability, the aftermarket pretty much lets you tune a manual however you like. I thought my GTI's 6MT was a little spongy, so I swapped in bronze end bushings ($50 and like 30 minutes to install), and voila, crisp, snappy shifts. Cable-actuated shifters have their drawbacks, but it's very easy to tune their 'feel' with bushings, short shifters, SS cables, etc.

I think the 6MT in the JL Wrangler is pretty much like any modern 6MT sporty car, just longer throws. I haven't really driven a 'bad' manual in a new car lately except the Tacoma, which just has a crap drivetrain from top to bottom. I expect the Bronco will follow trend (light effort and erring toward isolation rather than engagement, but not bad).

The only manual I've ever driven that was just head and shoulders above the rest was the Honda S2000. It was like working the action on a Sako bolt rifle.

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank God I'm not married
Ford Bronco Has anyone driven the manual yet? Getrag MT-88 1612476578859

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other than reliability, the aftermarket pretty much lets you tune a manual however you like. I thought my GTI's 6MT was a little spongy, so I swapped in bronze end bushings ($50 and like 30 minutes to install), and voila, crisp, snappy shifts. Cable-actuated shifters have their drawbacks, but it's very easy to tune their 'feel' with bushings, short shifters, SS cables, etc.

I think the 6MT in the JL Wrangler is pretty much like any modern 6MT sporty car, just longer throws. I haven't really driven a 'bad' manual in a new car lately except the Tacoma, which just has a crap drivetrain from top to bottom. I expect the Bronco will follow trend (light effort and erring toward isolation rather than engagement, but not bad).

The only manual I've ever driven that was just head and shoulders above the rest was the Honda S2000. It was like working the action on a Sako bolt rifle.
Which gen Taco? I actually enjoyed the 3rd gen's Trans while 2nd was forgettable

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Once used to the throttle lag, the MT is fine in the Tacoma. Most of the Toyota line is older and boring, but extremely reliable. If the Getrag is anywhere as dependable as my Toyotas have been, I'll be very happy.

cr25

Big Bend
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang, Honda Fit, Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a 2011 GT with the 6 spd manual. 85,000 miles no problems at all. I can beat synchros into 2, 3rd when cold. Take my time with the first few shifts or double clutch. I ordered the 7spd, 2 door Bronco with no concerns. Not happy the trans is built in China.
Good to hear! I came here to read fun stuff about Bronco MTs and instead I was getting worried about my 2011 Mustang going south (only ~40K miles on mine but no issues)

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yes it’s a getrag Chinese unit. From my understanding getrag makes many successful transmissions but does have a few that have not been good, most notably your mustang.

I wish Ford or getrag would put out some information about why this one will be different. Even though it has MT in the name, it is supposedly a completely different design that will be used in many different vehicles.

for anecdotal info... my 2016 f150 automatic has also given me a very unpleasant driving experience, has required several Reflashes and I am now currently waiting for the dealer to put in a new driveshaft under warranty due to poor shifting and early wear (the dreaded low speed “clunk”) - at 46000 miles.
So no company is going to publish information that admits the previous product sucked and the replacement design is better because xxxx. Especially with a class-action lawsuit in the works.

I think we have to depend on both Ford and Getrag see the issuance of the new 7-speed as a reputation re-builder and have taken the appropriate steps to build in the quality into the transmission.

Last edited:

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You new kids and your fancy new transmissions always saying they are bad.... The late 60's Ford 3-on-the-tree's were soooooo much better than the non synchronized early 1950's Chevy 3-on-the-tree. Although, to be fair, driving anything post WWII that hadn't received it's full post-war remodeling was essentially driving pre-war tech.

I love the pre-war 3 in my '51. It's notchy as all hell, takes a fair bit of timing and clutch modulation to engage the gears, loses every rev available between shifts, is slow, and absolutely blows your mind how fun it it to row between gears, even with the bench seat being a proper spring and clutch modulation causing you to bounce up to the headliner with the weight transition in your body. It's glorious and makes you feel like a million bucks!

Never before have (most) other people been so happy to be going 50 mph on the freeway stuck behind some old car. Tons of 1-finger waves, I guess it's some 50's car thing? Wonder how many fingers Bronco owners will wave at each other on the roads?

Edit: To stay on topic: I haven't read any independent review of the Bronco 7mt or any comment that wasn't "Ford Speak"......
Thanks for your nice note. It is amazing how wonderful a direct mechanical connection to a car or truck can be, whether it be through steering, transmission, seat-of-the-pants, or otherwise. Modern cars are very sanitized. Nice ride, no tappet noise, no gear whine, NO FUN.
Sponsored