Sponsored

Has anyone seen what the new MIC roof looks like?

MN_OuterBanks

Outer Banks
First Name
AW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SuperCrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The retooled top is Molded in Color. It is and will be the only hardtop for 21 or 22.

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door 2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only description by Ford has been that the top will be thicker to avoid the honeycomb/snakeskin look and that the seams will be closed.

the MIC top will be available again to unscheduled builds in 2022.
Can you even get a 2 door then? Since they don’t make a 2 door soft top...

Sponsored

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can you even get a 2 door then? Since they don’t make a 2 door soft top...
If you have a vin for a 2dr you will get your roof built as per Ford.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When did they say 8 weeks? In any case, why is it so hard to believe they'd be producing test roofs at this point? Do you think they're going to start testing them AFTER the dyes are all changed and things start running down the line?
8 weeks.... Yeah... October production? Still a long way to go before we have anything resembling a capable product I think. Sure, they're probably working hard at it... But if new tooling is required, as they say, this could be a big hold-up.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aren't we talking about two different MIC production plants?

• original Webasto plant with updated tooling
  • new plant owned by somebody (??) with all new equipment

Sounds like there are some revised tops coming out of the original Webasto plant, plus the 'new' plant gets production equipment installed in September
Where the hell did you hear this? Lol OMG
This "new" plant.... Are you talking about whoever has the Modular/painted top contract?

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

8 weeks.... Yeah... October production? Still a long way to go before we have anything resembling a capable product I think. Sure, they're probably working hard at it... But if new tooling is required, as they say, this could be a big hold-up.
I think the 8 weeks comes from the date of announcement (8/13) to when ford would let vin holders know what's up with they're build (octoberish) .
I would bet by the time ford made that announcement they were real close to a solution. This time they'll under promise and over deliver..

Sponsored

ATLColonial

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Legacy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the 8 weeks comes from the date of announcement (8/13) to when ford would let vin holders know what's up with they're build (octoberish) .
I would bet by the time ford made that announcement they were real close to a solution. This time they'll under promise and over deliver..
They also said dirt lot people would be hearing in September (4-6 weeks after announcement) and FEs have been getting scheduled for last 2 weeks of September. Hoping for overdeliver scenario, but it's a waste of time to speculate and just gets people here all worked up when we do.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So how many usable hard tops did they make today?

Can you imagine the absolute shit show it is to idle an entire factory production line for 8 weeks. I can't imagine why we haven't seen public terminations over this debacle.

Imagine a factory that makes (conservatively) 300 tops a day at a first year production cost of $250 each and a profit of the same (have no actual idea of true costs). Let's place plant/equipment being $150 per top for the first year and the rest being labor and components at $50 each.

With my pure fantasy numbers, Idling the plant doesn't kill the plant/equipment costs and causes a loss of $150 per missing top and $250 in lost profit per top. These numbers are totally fictional and not based on any hard facts, but just an example of how costly it could be to idle the plant for 48 production days (6 days x 8 weeks). That would be 2.16 million in costs and 3.6 million in lost profits (total loss of nearly 5.8 million dollars). That is not not even considering the losses associated with building of all the defective product, costs associated with building and replacing all the defective product! Ooof.

I have no idea what the real numbers are, but my imagination suggests that I am way underestimating the carnage.

RHW

Badlands
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I "WANT" to believe this.. But i haven't seen a track record for it..

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That makes me feel like we're right on top of things. :confused:
Sponsored