Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a SAS 4-door FE and a Wildtrak with Hoss 3.0 on order. The WT is going to be my trail and rock truck while the FE is going to be my mall-crawlin' pavement princess. 👸 She's a pretty girl and she's going to stay that way!

I do want the FE to get some extra height by going to 37s, and I will also be going with the RPG perch collars to lift and level. I am looking for something that meets the following objectives and would love some input from the all knowing board.

1) Must be 37". Price is not a limiting factor.
2) This truck will reside in the south, and will not be seeing trails, snow or mud. It will see sand and slick road conditions.
3) While I am open to buying new rims, I am trying to keep the truck looking as stock as possible. Thus, I'd like to find tires that fit the stock rims and do not rub at a full turn.
4) Truck is full PPF'd, but I am not running flaps. A tire that does a good job of not picking up and flinging rocks is crucially important. Low road noise and better mpg would also be nice.

Understand that these objectives compete with each other. Really would welcome any advice, and fully prepared for the onslaught of jabs for my pavement princess. Bring it on!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright… so… two things:
  1. Badlands isn’t available with HOSS 3.0. So I assume you meant Wildtrak.
  2. Your desires conflict with each other.
For example…. if you want better fuel economy with low road noise and a tire that doesn’t flig rocks everywhere… then you should be looking at a 32/33” all-season light-truck tire. But instead of you want a bigger 37” tire, and I assume you want it to have the tough “off-roady” look.

So… uhhh… yeah. Just be aware that your different requirements directly conflict with each other.

Anyway, some tires that come to mind… none of them perfectly fit your requirements.
  • Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
    • Fits your requirements, except I don’t think they make it in 37”
  • BFG KO2
    • Really good tire (my personal favorite general purpose all-around tire), but it tends to fling and/or trap rocks in the tread.
  • Nitro Terra Grappler G2
    • Looks cool, they make a 37” version. Not super quiet, but also not super loud. Downside is it is on the pricey side.
  • Toyo Open Country A/T III
    • Tends to fling rocks, but on the quieter side compared to most all-terrain tires. I don’t know if they make a 37” version.
  • General Grabber A/TX
    • I don’t know much about this tire, but based on my admittedly limited experience, it has low road noise compared to most all-terrain tires.
  • Milestar Patagonia A/T Pro
    • Brand new tire for this year, so not much is known about it. From what has been released so far… it’s a really good tire. So may be worth looking at.
  • EDIT: Falken Wildpeak AT3W
    • Almost forgot this one. I really like this tire, super smooth to drive on the road and excellent on slick roads. BUT last time I used it it was on a beater 1979 F-100 that made all kinds of different random noises, so I cannot comment on how quiet the tire is.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MSPbronco

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You’re right. It’s the WildTrak. Not enough coffee this morning.

Thanks for the response. I should have stated that price is not a limiting factor for me. Also, yes, despite not seeing the trails I am still trying to keep the stock look which is “trail ready”. I acknowledge the conflict, and that’s why I’m asking for input. Have had Ko2s and Toyo ATs in the past. Wasn’t sure either meets my ideal fit here, and it probably does not exist.

I would definitely trade off low road noise and good fuel economy for a tire that doesn’t fling rocks.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You’re right. It’s the WildTrak. Not enough coffee this morning.

Thanks for the response. I should have stated that price is not a limiting factor for me. Also, yes, despite not seeing the trails I am still trying to keep the stock look which is “trail ready”. I acknowledge the conflict, and that’s why I’m asking for input. Have had Ko2s and Toyo ATs in the past. Wasn’t sure either meets my ideal fit here, and it probably does not exist.

I would definitely trade off low road noise and good fuel economy for a tire that doesn’t fling rocks.
Yeah you are kind of asking for a unicorn tire.

All-terrain and mud-terrain tires are specifically designed to keep the treads clear to maximize traction. Therefore… they will tend to fling rocks and gravel. That’s effectively what it’s designed to do. The all-season tires that are very quiet on the road and get excellent fuel economy aren’t usually made in sizes larger than 33“ / 34”. Those that are are highway tires often meant for semis or HD trucks, and you will lose that “trail-ready” look.

Obviously it’s up to you, but if I was in your shoes I personally would give up the 37” tire requirement. That’ll give you a lot more options—like the Nitto Recon Grappler, which is kind of an in-between off-road/on-road tire that retains a lot of that “trail-ready” look.

OP
OP

MSPbronco

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah, the 37 makes it challenging for sure. I recently took my SAS fenders off and went to the metal fenders. They do not have the side "lip", which exposes more of the wheel well. Even before the lift, the 35s look a bit lost in there. So, the 37 is not just to get an extra inch of height, but to also help fill that space.

I may just suck it up and put a mudflap on the front so I can get my 37s and go with the ATs.

Thanks again for your input. I really do appreciate it!
Sponsored

Last edited: