Sponsored

Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base?

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak, Audi RS5 B8.5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hey guys, not sure how to approach this, any help would be much appreciated. I have my Wildtrak in the shop right now getting perch collars installed. The shop messaged me the following:

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? shop message

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 9.40.09 AM (2)
Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 9.40.09 AM
Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 9.40.08 AM
Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? WhatsApp Image 2023-09-20 at 9.40.09 AM (1)

Current modifications:
BFG KO2s 37"
Method 305: 17 x 8.5, 0 offset

The wheels and tires were installed two weeks ago. I picked up the vehicle less than two months ago, there are currently 745 miles on the vehicle. I am unsure how to proceed with this. I do have the bumper to bumper warranty. Thank you all for any input.

Edit: The driver front side is the area in question

(edit: removed duplicate image)
Sponsored

Last edited:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Certainly looks like a miss at the factory. Considering your mods I'm guessing your dealer is going to deny warranty but worth a shot. $170 fix isn't a bad hit, I'd probably just bite the bullet out of pocket.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So who took the bolt out is the question. Option 1, the bolt was never installed correctly when it left the factory and the selling dealer didn't notice it. Option 2, wheel and tire installer took it out for whatever reason and didn't reinstall it correctly. Option 3, you did it and not fessing up (kidding).

Based on the amount of rust where the bolt shoulder should be, my guess would be option 1 or option 1.5 which the bolt was not completely backed out when the dealer did the PDI and did so over the course of you driving it.

Did they say if there was any factory loc-tite on the bolt? Either way, I'd have them throw a new bolt in the support and ask them to check torque on the others. Surprised the tire shop didn't see it when they did their thing.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Certainly looks like a miss at the factory. Considering your mods I'm guessing your dealer is going to deny warranty but worth a shot. $170 fix isn't a bad hit, I'd probably just bite the bullet out of pocket.
I was considering this also, save myself from the down time.

*edit: I think $170 is just parts, I hope it's including everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So who took the bolt out is the question. Option 1, the bolt was never installed correctly when it left the factory and the selling dealer didn't notice it. Option 2, wheel and tire installer took it out for whatever reason and didn't reinstall it correctly. Option 3, you did it and not fessing up (kidding).

Based on the amount of rust where the bolt shoulder should be, my guess would be option 1 or option 1.5 which the bolt was not completely backed out when the dealer did the PDI and did so over the course of you driving it.

Did they say if there was any factory loc-tite on the bolt? Either way, I'd have them throw a new bolt in the support and ask them to check torque on the others. Surprised the tire shop didn't see it when they did their thing.
Thank you very much for your input. The wheels and tires were installed at Discount Tire, and done right in front of me. They didn't touch any other bolts from what I saw unless something slipped my sight while I was staring at my new wheels.

I will ask the shop to throw a new bolt in there, hopefully it's something easily done. I will ask about the loc-tite. Do you think the "damaged caliper base" will allow a new bolt? Reaching out to them now.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you very much for your input. The wheels and tires were installed at Discount Tire, and done right in front of me. They didn't touch any other bolts from what I saw unless something slipped my sight while I was staring at my new wheels.

I will ask the shop to throw a new bolt in there, hopefully it's something easily done. I will ask about the loc-tite. Do you think the "damaged caliper base" will allow a new bolt? Reaching out to them now.
If a new bolt goes in and torques down, let 'er eat.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I found something like that on my vehicle I would first try and torque the screws back down. Not my rig though.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If a new bolt goes in and torques down, let 'er eat.
I received this in response:

"The problem is not the bolt, since when assembling the bolt they placed it on its side and inside the thread at the base of the caliper is damaged, that is why the screw does not fit anymore."

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I found something like that on my vehicle I would first try and torque the screws back down. Not my rig though.
I hoped this would be possible, but from the last response it doesn't seem like it.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I received this in response:

"The problem is not the bolt, since when assembling the bolt they placed it on its side and inside the thread at the base of the caliper is damaged, that is why the screw does not fit anymore."
What the hell does that even mean? If that's the case it was a factory defect and should be covered.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hoped this would be possible, but from the last response it doesn't seem like it.
It sounds like your bolt threads might have been damaged, which is understandable.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What the hell does that even mean? If that's the case it was a factory defect and should be covered.
Lol the guy responding is not fluent in English (this is common in Miami, I'm still getting used to it). I would hope this gets fixed under my warranty I paid for, just hope they don't give me any nonsense with my mods.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealer doing the work, is it the same one you bought the bronco from?

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It sounds like your bolt threads might have been damaged, which is understandable.
Yeah he mentioned something about that, I just hope it's safe for me to drive for a few days until I get a service appointment. I do have a second vehicle I can use if it's bad bad.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The dealer doing the work, is it the same one you bought the bronco from?
Unfortunately I am a good distance from that dealer, it would be a different one. I got it from Tampa, I'm currently in MIA.
Sponsored