Sponsored

Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base?

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on what I can see and what you've said, we would cover that. It's as simple as adding a line to the repair order stating, "While doing unrelated repairs, noticed caliper support bolt backed out and will not tighten". Tech write up will be, "While doing repair noticed top caliper support bolt backed out XX mm. Did not notice any witness marks on knuckle where bolt ever appeared to be installed correctly. Attempted to tighten bolt and found that the threads in the caliper support were damaged. Replace caliper support, bolts, one time use parts, torque to spec, test drive, OK".

This is a safety item so Ford is not going to give the dealer any shit over this especially if they have pics to back up the claim should it even get to that point, which it won't. Maybe the advisor needs to get the service manager involved so there's another set of eyes on it.
Very good story. I wish some of my techs typed out this way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak, Audi RS5 B8.5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Now I'm all paranoid about driving. I did some research about loose caliper bolts and I came across all kinds of horrible situations. Unless I find a way to park the vehicle safely, I'm going to have to drive it home and then drive it back to the dealership for service.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just made an appointment for the dealer in the area here, one of the better reviewed ones from what I can gather (Midway Ford). Earliest availability is next Thursday 9/28.

I will call the dealer I purchased from and inform them as well as find out about if I get charged for the repair. And thanks for the heads up about keeping all my old parts! I wouldn't have thought of that.
If you haven't already, send the advisor you just scheduled with the pics and make sure they pre order the parts. No sense going in for the appointment if the shit isn't there to fix it that day. Like I said, this is a one hour job (taking vehicle in shop, removing wheel, going to counter to get parts, install parts, write up story and test drive).

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very good story. I wish some of my techs typed out this way.
Well, I've got some guys old enough to be my dad that would just put, "replace knuckle and bolt", which means whomever is booking it has to massage it a little to keep the assessors off our butts.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you haven't already, send the advisor you just scheduled with the pics and make sure they pre order the parts. No sense going in for the appointment if the shit isn't there to fix it that day. Like I said, this is a one hour job (taking vehicle in shop, removing wheel, going to counter to get parts, install parts, write up story and test drive).
I called them back and got the email, sent the photos over. He mentioned that they don't order parts without the vehicle there because of past experiences with customers not showing up after parts are ordered.

*Edit: he also mentioned that because this was supposed to be caught during PDI, he may have to request authorization from Ford with this service.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I called them back and got the email, sent the photos over. He mentioned that they don't order parts without the vehicle there because of past experiences with customers not showing up after parts are ordered.

*Edit: he also mentioned that because this was supposed to be caught during PDI, he may have to request authorization from Ford with this service.
🤦‍♂️ FFS. Too bad you weren't closer, we'd have the MF'er done before you got done eating lunch at the Mexican place next door.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

🤦‍♂️ FFS. Too bad you weren't closer, we'd have the MF'er done before you got done eating lunch at the Mexican place next door.
Man... if only. I really appreciate the thought. I also sort of understand this service guy's position a little bit. Being in Miami or any major city (I'm from NYC originally) unfortunately the quantity of people also decreases the quality by ratio. People will flake and drop you if it meant they can save $1.50 20 miles away.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I received this in response:

"The problem is not the bolt, since when assembling the bolt they placed it on its side and inside the thread at the base of the caliper is damaged, that is why the screw does not fit anymore."
In that case, have them document what they found, and send it to the dealer to be fixed. the low miles on it should be enough to get them to take care of it. What caused the shop to be looking at your brakes?

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In that case, have them document what they found, and send it to the dealer to be fixed. the low miles on it should be enough to get them to take care of it. What caused the shop to be looking at your brakes?
I'll ask them to, thanks for the suggestion. I'm getting RPG perch collars installed today.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Update: Ford service center told me that the shop that installed my perch collar lift is responsible for the caliper bolt being loose, this was the shop that sent me the pics. I'm not sure who to believe.

Edit: spoke with the shop, they confirmed they don't touch the brakes to do the collar install.

Also I am looking up the RPG instructions to confirm this, I am putting an email together back to the service manager at Midway Ford

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can clearly see the bolt was never tight. Either it was missed or it was started crossthreaded and they let it go. Even if crossthreaded, you can run a tap in from the opposite side and fix the bracket since it wasn't in very far. Catch at PDI? No way a tech can find and fix all of the factory's mistakes.

How is this such a big issue to get repaired? Living in the salt belt, I have replaced bolts like this in the past due to rust. Take the caliper bracket and run a tap into it. Tighten the bolt, done. If the threads are bad on the bolt, replace it. About $4 per pair and available at most parts stores. The guy that found the issue should of taken care of it right then and there. Seems like they are making a mountain out of a mole hill and passing the buck.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can clearly see the bolt was never tight. Either it was missed or it was started crossthreaded and they let it go. Even if crossthreaded, you can run a tap in from the opposite side and fix the bracket since it wasn't in very far. Catch at PDI? No way a tech can find and fix all of the factory's mistakes.

How is this such a big issue to get repaired? Living in the salt belt, I have replaced bolts like this in the past due to rust. Take the caliper bracket and run a tap into it. Tighten the bolt, done. If the threads are bad on the bolt, replace it. About $4 per pair and available at most parts stores. The guy that found the issue should of taken care of it right then and there. Seems like they are making a mountain out of a mole hill and passing the buck.

Ford Service is being a real pain. I just sent a response email to the service manager Jon Sacher of my messages with the shop (with timestamps) the day of installation.

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? time stam

Edit: I explained the bottom right photo shows the bolt there was seated properly. The other was not from the rust.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thoughts exactly. So ridiculous they would even question it given the rust evidence.

Hell if they don't cover it, buy a tap on Amazon for $10 and run it through the back side, locktite and done. The dealer can sell you a new bolt. Worst case buy a new bracket and put it on yourself, it's two mounting bolts and the 2 caliper bolts. $90 for the part.

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? 1695933712296

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My thoughts exactly. So ridiculous they would even question it given the rust evidence.

Hell if they don't cover it, buy a tap on Amazon for $10 and run it through the back side, locktite and done. The dealer can sell you a new bolt. Worst case buy a new bracket and put it on yourself, it's two mounting bolts and the 2 caliper bolts. $90 for the part.

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? 1695933712296
Thank you! Not a bad backup plan at all.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, I got this reply back from the service manager. I hope this is moving in the right direction.

Ford Bronco Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base? email response

Edit:
I spoke with the salesperson at the dealer where I got the Bronco, he knows the full situation. He told me to let him know how things pan out and if there's an issue he will speak with his service manager about it. He mentioned the brakes are covered for 1 year.
Sponsored