Sponsored

Help Please: Caliper Bolt loose / damaged caliper base?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on what I can see and what you've said, we would cover that. It's as simple as adding a line to the repair order stating, "While doing unrelated repairs, noticed caliper support bolt backed out and will not tighten". Tech write up will be, "While doing repair noticed top caliper support bolt backed out XX mm. Did not notice any witness marks on knuckle where bolt ever appeared to be installed correctly. Attempted to tighten bolt and found that the threads in the caliper support were damaged. Replace caliper support, bolts, one time use parts, torque to spec, test drive, OK".

This is a safety item so Ford is not going to give the dealer any shit over this especially if they have pics to back up the claim should it even get to that point, which it won't. Maybe the advisor needs to get the service manager involved so there's another set of eyes on it.
Sponsored

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That is the caliper bracket, and is only removed if the rotor needs to come off.

From your mods, I don’t see why anyone would have ever touched it.

So, looks like a miss from the factory.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah he mentioned something about that, I just hope it's safe for me to drive for a few days until I get a service appointment. I do have a second vehicle I can use if it's bad bad.
I would not drive it.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak, Audi RS5 B8.5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Based on what I can see and what you've said, we would cover that. It's as simple as adding a line to the repair order stating, "While doing unrelated repairs, noticed caliper support bolt backed out and will not tighten". Tech write up will be, "While doing repair noticed top caliper support bolt backed out XX mm. Did not notice any witness marks on knuckle where bolt ever appeared to be installed correctly. Attempted to tighten bolt and found that the threads in the caliper support were damaged. Replace caliper support, bolts, one time use parts, torque to spec, test drive, OK".

This is a safety item so Ford is not going to give the dealer any shit over this especially if they have pics to back up the claim should it even get to that point, which it won't. Maybe the advisor needs to get the service manager involved so there's another set of eyes on it.
Thank you for mentioning this, I will have to make an appointment as soon as possible, albeit at a different dealership. I will try to minimize my driving until then.

Who would've guessed I would be going in this soon! Now to find a good dealer for service...

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is the caliper bracket, and is only removed if the rotor needs to come off.

From your mods, I don’t see why anyone would have ever touched it.

So, looks like a miss from the factory.
I would not drive it.
I was curious if he meant caliper bracket (instead of caliper base), I agree with your assessment I find it perplexing if it was mod related.

And about driving it, I will have to drive it back home and eventually to where I get it serviced. Hope it's something I can manage for the interim.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was curious if he meant caliper bracket (instead of caliper base), I agree with your assessment I find it perplexing if it was mod related.

And about driving it, I will have to drive it back home and eventually to where I get it serviced. Hope it's something I can manage for the interim.
I would not wait. If they won't consider doing under warranty, leave it and let them fix. Not worth potentially destroying other stuff, potential accident or more money out of pocket.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would not wait. If they won't consider doing under warranty, leave it and let them fix. Not worth potentially destroying other stuff, potential accident or more money out of pocket.
I hear you loud and clear. I'm reviewing all these dealerships in the Miami area, will be making calls in the next few minutes. I expect to receive the vehicle back end of day today. If I can find an appointment I'll take it asap. If the appointment is too far out do you suggest just having the shop do it? Just trying to save on the labor costs.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to do the job which is being generous.
I can't thank you enough for all of this info. I just hope they don't make me wait a week for my appointment.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't thank you enough for all of this info. I just hope they don't make me wait a week for my appointment.
We're 3 weeks plus at this point, don't know about the dealers down in gator country.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We're 3 weeks plus at this point, don't know about the dealers down in gator country.
Good lord... I guess a week isn't that bad

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good lord... I guess a week isn't that bad
Not really but still, this is a safety issue. I'd keep all of the pics and get ahold of your selling dealer to see if they're willing to do anything (reimbursement) if the current dealer is intent on charging you for the repair. This never got tightened at the factory.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, and one more thing. If you end up paying for the repair, make sure you keep all of your old parts if you're going to try to get Ford to pay for it.

OP
OP
retrospex

retrospex

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not really but still, this is a safety issue. I'd keep all of the pics and get ahold of your selling dealer to see if they're willing to do anything (reimbursement) if the current dealer is intent on charging you for the repair. This never got tightened at the factory.
Oh, and one more thing. If you end up paying for the repair, make sure you keep all of your old parts if you're going to try to get Ford to pay for it.
Just made an appointment for the dealer in the area here, one of the better reviewed ones from what I can gather (Midway Ford). Earliest availability is next Thursday 9/28.

I will call the dealer I purchased from and inform them as well as find out about if I get charged for the repair. And thanks for the heads up about keeping all my old parts! I wouldn't have thought of that.
Sponsored