Sponsored

HELP !! Socket wrench dropped into driver fender (hood strut installation)

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the title states, I was installing Redline hood struts, and dropped the wrench into the driver side fender wall and wheel well.

It’s a tight fit working under the hood there, and it slipped out of my hand.

There is a gap between the actual fender and firewall behind the plastic fender well liner in the wheel well where it attaches to the firewall area

that was starting the day out pretty badly

tragedy averted !!
Sponsored

Last edited:

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I use either a retrieval magnet or claw like the one in the picture. You can find them at hardware stores or Amazon. If you can see the tool you should be able to fish it out. A few weeks ago we dropped a bolt when changing the grill on my sons Ranger and it was nearly impossible to reach but once we found it we were able to fish it out with the claw.

Ford Bronco HELP !! Socket wrench dropped into driver fender (hood strut installation) 51xBRfwa52L._SX522_

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't have a confirmed solution for you, haven't seen my truck yet....

Just wanted to give you my condolences and congratulate you on Bronco hazing you into the unofficial ranks of mechanics everywhere. Not hearing the tool or fastener hit the ground is one of those moments we've all experienced, you're one of us now!

-----
In all seriousness, loosening up the plastic fender liner would be my first method of attack before even thinking about loosening anything with paint on it.

Before doing anything though, bumping your fist around the liner will hopefully make the trapped tool jiggle and you'll feel/hear where you need to zero in on. Often just loosening the liner will give you enough movement to bounce it free with gravity helping.

Also worth noting, a cheap telescoping magnet is your BEST friend in this scenario.

Good luck, hopefully with little disassembly!

Last edited:
OP
OP
stickshifthappy

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes there’s a gap behind the plastic well liner !!

tragedy narrowly averted !!

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As the title states, I was installing Redline hood struts, and dropped the wrench into the driver side fender wall and wheel well.

It’s a tight fit working under the hood there, and it slipped out of my hand.

There is a gap between the actual fender and firewall behind the plastic fender well liner in the wheel well where it attaches to the firewall area

that was starting the day out pretty badly

tragedy averted !!
Another 10mm bites the dust

Sponsored

Pdshepherd

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Wife's Kia is my part time wheels
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
stickshifthappy

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use either a retrieval magnet or claw like the one in the picture. You can find them at hardware stores or Amazon. If you can see the tool you should be able to fish it out. A few weeks ago we dropped a bolt when changing the grill on my sons Ranger and it was nearly impossible to reach but once we found it we were able to fish it out with the claw.

Ford Bronco HELP !! Socket wrench dropped into driver fender (hood strut installation) 51xBRfwa52L._SX522_
Yep those have come in handy over the years working on my 65 Mustang. I wasn’t at home doing this work though.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep those have come in handy over the years working on my 65 Mustang. I wasn’t at home doing this work though.
I bought this inspection camera last year, and it’s paid for itself a number of times. I’ve used for automotive purposes (not for tools, but for dead rodents down the fender wells of a car), and for running cable up through my house framing, and a few other things. Worth it!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08519V6G...061CSAE33&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't have a confirmed solution for you, haven't seen my truck yet....

Just wanted to give you my condolences and congratulate you on Bronco hazing you into the unofficial ranks of mechanics everywhere. Not hearing the tool or fastener hit the ground is one of those moments we've all experienced, you're one of us now!

-----
In all seriousness, loosening up the plastic fender liner would be my first method of attack before even thinking about loosening anything with paint on it.

Before doing anything though, bumping your fist around the liner will hopefully make the trapped tool jiggle and you'll feel/hear where you need to zero in on. Often just loosening the liner will give you enough movement to bounce it free with gravity helping.

Also worth noting, a cheap telescoping magnet is your BEST friend in this scenario.

Good luck, hopefully with little disassembly!
Number 5 alive..no disassembly..

OP
OP
stickshifthappy

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

jonboy1225

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A long list of 3 pedalers, and various tow trucks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Number 5 alive..no disassembly..
Nice reference! haha

Loved that movie as a kid. Fun fact the house is restored and available as an AirBnB with some neat Short Circuit items and modifications to be close as possible to as seen in the film.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been there, done that! Pulled the inner fender liner out a bit and out the socket came.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dropped mine too while installing hood struts. I gave up looking for it and figured it would show itself if it caused a problem or would fall out by its own. Been a thousand miles now and haven’t heard a peep out of it.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@stickshifthappy did you get the wrench out? It happened to me when I installed my hood struts. But I was able to get it out with a extendable magnet retriever.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the same thing. Was aware so took care. First side went great. Second side fell into the abyss. I just pooped out a few pins enough to pull the liner back and retrieved with a magnet.
Sponsored