edthecat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX 2.7 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m looking to get my non SAS OBX (2.7, 4dr) a new pair of shoes, and trying to get a better understanding of the relationship between tire size and ride quality on city roads and highways. I’ve read these forums up and down and not seeing the clear answer I’m looking for so hoping the team here can help shed some light. For context, I love the wider look but also love agility and acceleration, and want to do my best minimize a harsh ride as much as possible - fully understanding its always gonna ride like a truck.

How much if this is true and what’s off base? A wider tire (SAS 315/70/17 for example) will give better traction on dry pavement at the expense of acceleration, agility, and gas mileage. It’ll perform much worse on ice and light snow than a narrower tire, and while the performance on wet pavement is poorer too, it’s also heavily dependent on the tire. Whereas a narrower tire (non SAS 255/70/18 for example) will give better agility, acceleration, and gas mileage, and perform better in light snow and ice, but at the expense of traction and stability. And a C rated tire will give a smoother ride than an E rated tire on roads. It’ll absorb the bumps and shocks better but it won’t last as long and is more susceptible to punctures.

What’s the difference in smoothness with a wide tire over a narrower tire? Can you expect more bumps and shakes or does it hug the road more to absorb those?

Is there any difference in ride between a 17” and 18” wheel or is that more of a relationship to the tire for sizing rather than a direct effect on the ride itself?

What is the down side of putting a wider tire on a narrower wheel if it falls within the listed range? Is a 9.5” tire on a 7.5-9.5 wheel not ideal?

To split the difference and have a smoother ride with great traction all around, is something like a 285 or 295 the optimal choice?

Thanks in advance for educating me!
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You’re asking for an objective answer to a subjective question.
I like skinny tires. Others like wide tires.
The best approach is to find the tire that best matches your intended use and split the difference on size if you don’t have a preference.

In general, more rubber, less wheel at appropriate pressure.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tire width is a small part of the tire equation you propose. The sidewall height, load rating, weight, all play a part in your question. In some conditions both on and off road a skinny tire may perform better. The same can be said for a wider tire. It's not an easy question to answer.
Sponsored