Sponsored

High transmission temperature while rock crawling!

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco High transmission temperature while rock crawling! 1693239763048

^^^^ This is the best infographic that I have found.

I personally am uncomfortable with a transmission staying above 220f, peaking at 220f or so is fine, but staying at 220f or above is too hot.

Most transmissions are designed to operate at 195F for optimum performance and longevity, too cold and you will actually decrease performance and life expectancy.

I saw Ford says 206-215f, which seems a bit high, maybe that is a CYA. I have never noticed my trans going over 200f in day to day driving with 100f weather.

If you consistently see above 220f when wheeling, I would add a secondary transmission cooler, like a universal Hayden.
Sponsored

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco High transmission temperature while rock crawling! 1693239763048

^^^^ This is the best infographic that I have found.
View attachment 558207

I personally am uncomfortable with a transmission staying above 220f, peaking at 220f or so is fine, but staying at 220f or above is too hot.

Ignore the lubeguard crap, but most transmissions are designed to operate at 195F for optimum performance and longevity, too cold and you will actually decrease performance and life expectancy.

If you consistently see above 220f when wheeling, I would add a secondary transmission cooler, like a universal Hayden.
Can't speak for modern vehicles, but after my CJ automatic trans overheated during a long slow hot trail climb, I've installed transmission coolers ever since, and never had another overheating issue.

Monkeying with a modern automatic though, where even something simple such as measuring the fluid level is not so simple, could complicate matters with a cooler install.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can't speak for modern vehicles, but after my CJ automatic trans overheated during a long slow hot trail climb, I've installed transmission coolers ever since, and never had another overheating issue.

Monkeying with a modern automatic though, where even something simple such as measuring the fluid level is not so simple, could complicate matters with a cooler install.
On my Land Cruiser I installed a Hayden cooler, without a fan, but added a 195 degree thermostat, so anytime temps went above 195, the fluid would flow to the cooler. I never had issues with high temps ever again.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A quick search online shows that this range appears to be completely normal for Ford 10-speeds, but who knows. I’ve seen mine anywhere from 190-205ish during normal operation
This is correct, supposedly the fluid and trans are designed for 200+ temps in normal driving and higher when working hard. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you see it get over 230 and maybe consider changing the trans fluid before the 150k recommended interval.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco has so many nannies built in, if you don't get a warning or a code, you can assume that Ford is fine with it. I saw 214 on trails in Colorado and no warning.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Turn your AC on...the extra fan will cool your temps back to normal. I drop 10-20 degrees.
Sponsored