First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2023 Ford Bronco with the 2.3 and an automatic transmission. I've experienced the stuttering problems at very low speeds that I've found documented in other posts (I almost stalled in a construction zone the other day). It is indeed very frustrating. But the most annoying thing I've experienced is the stuttering while stopping the vehicle. No matter how fast or slow I decelerate, the truck always bucks between 10-0 mph. Something fights the brake and it lurches just before coming to a final stop.

Has anyone else experienced problems with not being able to stop smoothly?

If anyone who hasn't bought a Bronco reads this, be aware that something like this can happen. I test drove a couple Broncos before this one and never had an issue. I bought my Bronco essentially on site and although the test drive gave me hesitations about the transmission I thought it was in my head and I pushed through. What a mistake. There are absolutely differences in quality. This is probably obvious to other people but I am not a car guy and I buy a new car about once every 10 years so my experience is limited here.
Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 10 speed trans is a different animal with a lot of quirks. I'm not sure but what you may be feeling is the down shifting, the trans tries to keep the engine in a certain RPM range. Over the last 7K miles I've gotten more used to the behavior but is still my least favorite part of the vehicle.

The behavior does improve as the trans "learns". Took mine 3K or so. Hard shifting, pausing while trying to figure out what to do, and strange motor RPMs seem to be par for course with this one.

OP
OP

BlueBronco16

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good to hear that you had a better experience as the transmission "learns". That's what my dealership told me to wait for and I can't tell if that's made up just to get me to go away for a bit. Unfortunately I don't put on a lot of miles on the vehicle so waiting several thousand miles will take an annoying amount of time. Pretty sure I'm just gonna have to get used to it as well.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2023 Ford Bronco with the 2.3 and an automatic transmission. I've experienced the stuttering problems at very low speeds that I've found documented in other posts (I almost stalled in a construction zone the other day). It is indeed very frustrating. But the most annoying thing I've experienced is the stuttering while stopping the vehicle. No matter how fast or slow I decelerate, the truck always bucks between 10-0 mph. Something fights the brake and it lurches just before coming to a final stop.

Has anyone else experienced problems with not being able to stop smoothly?

If anyone who hasn't bought a Bronco reads this, be aware that something like this can happen. I test drove a couple Broncos before this one and never had an issue. I bought my Bronco essentially on site and although the test drive gave me hesitations about the transmission I thought it was in my head and I pushed through. What a mistake. There are absolutely differences in quality. This is probably obvious to other people but I am not a car guy and I buy a new car about once every 10 years so my experience is limited here.
Hey there. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your lurching concerns on my end!

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To test whether the transmission has anything to do with what you're feeling, you can try to shift into neutral when coming to a stop. Get up to speed, let off throttle, shift into N, then see if the issue is there when coming to a smooth stop.

Sponsored

CaliTexian

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for posting this issue. I have experienced this multiple times. Most recently a few days ago. I applied full brakes then the Bronco lerched to the point that the engine loaded up my front suspension. That scared the sh#te out of my and was certainly glad that it wasn't someone else driving the vehicle at that time.

Has this issue been worked through

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thank you for posting this issue. I have experienced this multiple times. Most recently a few days ago. I applied full brakes then the Bronco lerched to the point that the engine loaded up my front suspension. That scared the sh#te out of my and was certainly glad that it wasn't someone else driving the vehicle at that time.

Has this issue been worked through
Is what it is. That's just the way these shitty 10 speeds behave. First time I experienced it was in a brand new '18 Mustang GT and I thought for sure there was something seriously wrong with it.

Just like they all have an obnoxious whine to them, they all lurch when stopping. They just aren't good transmissions.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

M-m-m-m-m-mine is-is-is-is OK, I'm-m-m-m-m-m g-g-g-g-glad t-t-t-t-to re-re-re-report.

OP
OP

BlueBronco16

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My vehicle still does this a lot. No solution. I contacted Ford (as requested on this thread) and I have a case number now, but no clue what that will do. I am accepting this is a problem that I will just have to get used to.

The suggestion above about shifting to neutral was a great idea. I did that a few times and no issues at all. It's definitely the transmission doing something strange on the downshift.

I don't remember the other Broncos I drove doing this. My lot is cast but I really hope someone else reading this sees the difference in quality that is out there with these transmissions and they take a very critical look before they buy. I didn't go with my gut on my test drive and I regret it every time I come to a stop sign.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 10 speed trans is a different animal with a lot of quirks. I'm not sure but what you may be feeling is the down shifting, the trans tries to keep the engine in a certain RPM range. Over the last 7K miles I've gotten more used to the behavior but is still my least favorite part of the vehicle.

The behavior does improve as the trans "learns". Took mine 3K or so. Hard shifting, pausing while trying to figure out what to do, and strange motor RPMs seem to be par for course with this one.
My BD 10 speed 2.7 is at 8K already but still quirky shifting while slowing to a stop. Also get the lurching that is described above. I also get a clunk at the rear end every now and then and if just an idiosyncracy of the 10 speed, thats fine but if its causing damage i would be worried.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BlueBronco16

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My BD 10 speed 2.7 is at 8K already but still quirky shifting while slowing to a stop. Also get the lurching that is described above. I also get a clunk at the rear end every now and then and if just an idiosyncracy of the 10 speed, thats fine but if its causing damage i would be worried.
Do you notice any difference depending on the mode? I've started using eco because the stuttering is less severe. But if I use sport it can get pretty intense.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a ten speed that works.

Ford Bronco Stuttering while stopping 1687811350269

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's definitely the downshifting. I've mostly adapted to modulating the brake pedal to limit the severity, but it's still annoying.

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you notice any difference depending on the mode? I've started using eco because the stuttering is less severe. But if I use sport it can get pretty intense.
Sport does seem more jittery yes.
Sponsored