Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi all, was just wondering if there is going to be hill start assist on the bronco, as the park break is one of those flip lever thingy by the headlight switch, so It isnt like a lever like im used too. Ive never fully lived with a manual, but i have driven them 10 or so times in the last 3 years and loved it, so while I wont be clueless, im sure it wont be pretty either. A always thought that the traditional lever e brake by the center console was nice, and the couple times i did need to start on a hill i used that, so Im not sure what to do now.
Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see a lot of people talking about this "parking brake" technique on here. To be honest, I've driven mt's on and off for years. I never really used it and never had problems.

It's kind of a feel thing.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I see a lot of people talking about this "parking brake" technique on here. To be honest, I've driven mt's on and off for years. I never really used it and never had problems.

Im still confused on whether to leave it in gear with the parking brake or just the parking brake, so many different opinions on it. Like i said, ive barely driven manuals compared to most people on here, but would really like one, so Im willing to learn, its gonna be a looong road.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Im still confused on whether to leave it in gear with the parking brake or just the parking brake, so many different opinions on it. Like i said, ive barely driven manuals compared to most people on here, but would really like one, so Im willing to learn, its gonna be a looong road.
Particularly if you're parking on a hill, the more things keeping the vehicle from rolling the better. That's e-brake, putting it in gear, turning the tires into the hill, etc.

I'm in the habit of putting it in gear and puling the brake before I get out. Sounds like the electronic e-brake will do part of that for me.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Particularly if you're parking on a hill, the more things keeping the vehicle from rolling the better. That's e-brake, putting it in gear, turning the tires into the hill, etc.

I'm in the habit of putting it in gear and puling the brake before I get out. Sounds like the electronic e-brake will do part of that for me.
Good to know, thank you!

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Common technique when starting a manual on a very steep incline is to hold the parking brake/e-brake lever so you can get from the brake pedal to gas pedal and start going without rolling back at all. Hill start assist is supposed to basically be the same thing, it holds the brake for you when it senses you’re on an incline to give you time to get to the gas pedal. I’ve used both, and it’s very dependent on the vehicle. Rarely ever needed the handbrake technique in my old vw bugs, light car with not a lot of power and very easy clutch work. Other manuals I’ve had I’ve noticed needing the handbrake method a bit more. Only on extremely steep inclines so not an everyday thing at all, but def still needed it. For instance there’s one stop sign I know of where I’ve had to use it a lot. It’s a right bank turn then up a steep hill for 3-4 car lengths, and dead end stops on a main road that cross traffic doesn’t stop. It’s a steep enough hill I’ve even rolled back slightly in an automatic, and you usually have to stop at least 3 times on the hill(3-4 car length hill) and can be waiting awhile for an opening in traffic each time. Never was a huge issue in my old bugs but probably the only place I used the parking brake technique in them. But I did have a bit of trouble with that hill once I got a larger heavier manual vehicle with a more powerful engine and more robust clutch. And the big kicker is people like to get right on you bumper there, so literally any roll back at all and you’ll likely roll into someone.

As for hill start assist, it also depends on the vehicle and how the hill start system is designed. I’ve driven manuals with hill start that were fine and I didn’t mind it, but also driven some that if you actually know how to drive a manual then the hill start will more likely mess you up and make things worse. One big factor in that is how and when the hill start releases the brakes(some hold too long, some release brakes too gradually or too quick), as well as how much incline it takes to activate it(lots will activate on hills I would never deem steep enough to need it, which can mess you up when you’re not expecting it to be holding the brake). Personally I would much rather have a lever E brake for those rare instances I would use it over hill start assist. But I could learn to live with hill start assist if that’s the only option. Or hope there’s an easy way to disable hill start assist since I’d rarely ever need it and don’t want it activating when I don’t need it.

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The last Jeep I owned had a "hill assist" feature. When stopped on an incline and taking your foot off the brake, it would keep the Jeep from rolling backwards for a couple of seconds. This was to give someone time to release the clutch and get moving.
Having driven manual my entire life I had no use for it and found it annoying at times. But for someone just getting back into driving a manual I can see where it would keep them from stressing if ever stopped on a hill in traffic. My guess is that Ford would also have something similar.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you need hill assist get an automatic. Old school...
I'm pretty sure he wants to know for crawling... Like when youre on a 45 degree uphill and gotta roll over a large rock.
Would love to see you try that in a manual!

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've never used the parking brake on a hill to get started on a manual. The hill assist is nice, but I've been known to rock it just to rock it on an incline. Just learn you magical dance between clutch and accelerator. No big deal.

Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you can, go rent a manual vehicle, opt for the insurance, and learn/practice on it. That way, if you do happen to damage anything, it's on their dime.

Don't worry about it though. You'll learn pretty quick. It just takes practice.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Common technique when starting a manual on a very steep incline is to hold the parking brake/e-brake lever so you can get from the brake pedal to gas pedal and start going without rolling back at all. Hill start assist is supposed to basically be the same thing, it holds the brake for you when it senses you’re on an incline to give you time to get to the gas pedal. I’ve used both, and it’s very dependent on the vehicle. Rarely ever needed the handbrake technique in my old vw bugs, light car with not a lot of power and very easy clutch work. Other manuals I’ve had I’ve noticed needing the handbrake method a bit more. Only on extremely steep inclines so not an everyday thing at all, but def still needed it. For instance there’s one stop sign I know of where I’ve had to use it a lot. It’s a right bank turn then up a steep hill for 3-4 car lengths, and dead end stops on a main road that cross traffic doesn’t stop. It’s a steep enough hill I’ve even rolled back slightly in an automatic, and you usually have to stop at least 3 times on the hill(3-4 car length hill) and can be waiting awhile for an opening in traffic each time. Never was a huge issue in my old bugs but probably the only place I used the parking brake technique in them. But I did have a bit of trouble with that hill once I got a larger heavier manual vehicle with a more powerful engine and more robust clutch. And the big kicker is people like to get right on you bumper there, so literally any roll back at all and you’ll likely roll into someone.

As for hill start assist, it also depends on the vehicle and how the hill start system is designed. I’ve driven manuals with hill start that were fine and I didn’t mind it, but also driven some that if you actually know how to drive a manual then the hill start will more likely mess you up and make things worse. One big factor in that is how and when the hill start releases the brakes(some hold too long, some release brakes too gradually or too quick), as well as how much incline it takes to activate it(lots will activate on hills I would never deem steep enough to need it, which can mess you up when you’re not expecting it to be holding the brake). Personally I would much rather have a lever E brake for those rare instances I would use it over hill start assist. But I could learn to live with hill start assist if that’s the only option. Or hope there’s an easy way to disable hill start assist since I’d rarely ever need it and don’t want it activating when I don’t need it.
I guess I've never driven anything heavy. A couple sedans, a sports car, and a couple smaller pick-ups.

After I learned to drive them, I never worried about drift back on hills or steep inclines. There were so many roads like that where I used to live that you got good at it pretty quick.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Yes, it has hill assist and electric e-brake. Not sure if you are asking about this for off road or just daily driving but hill assist was pretty good on my VW, only held for about 5 seconds then you had to get back on the brake to reset if needed. Once you get used to a clutch again you'll be able to hold it without worrying about it.

As for the e-brake, typically where I park is flat so I just leave it in gear, no brake.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My focus st has hill assist i find it kinda creepy and i have never needed it before.
One time i saw a motorcycle cop do a u turn on a sidewalk to catch a red light runner, later that day saw him pull into this lunch place i was at.I was going to high five him on his bad ass driving,when the helmet comes off all this blond hair falls out ! I almost fell over beautiful cop . I tell her about watching her make that crazy turn on thst big bike ,and she looks me in the eye smiles and says "clutch and gas thats all it is!" Bad ass!!❤

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FoMoCo copied so many Jeep things (Swing Tailgate, yes I would have preferred a regular Drop Down Tailgate), but didn't choose the Manual E-Brake Leaver.

Ford Bronco Hill Start assist on the manual? 1597853434838

Hill Assist is fine and dandy, but the Electrical E-Brake isn't. If/When there's an Electrical Issue and the Electrical E-Brake Locks ...... well.... it could be an expensive vehicle recovery if it happens deep into a difficult trail. Why couldn't FoMoCo just have given us the Tried-N-True Manual E-Brake Hand Leaver???? SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored