First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I understand the concern. But if you think about it from the insurance companies interest, they
I would like to believe that the data is being broken down enough to show that your location is impacting your driving habits. But, as the majority of us have no idea as to how much of our data is being resold/used as this process is so shrouded in secrecy, we have no way of knowing whether this information is being disseminated in that way. Until we can all easily understand how this data is being used, I will not risk my data being used incorrectly. Because of this, I have turned off the data collection from my Bronco.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

This suggests that the data shared with LexisNexis is EXTREMELY detailed, at least in GM's case. Ford's statements on the subject do not make me warm and fuzzy that they are sharing less

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-motor-company-lexisnexis-risk-solutions.html

https://www.verisk.com/newsroom/ford-and-verisk-collaborate-to-offer-telematics-data-to-insurers/
Sponsored

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please show me where in Ford’s privacy policy it states that they share personally-identifiable connected vehicle metrics with third parties.

This is all I could find:

And…

Seems like Ford is being pretty clear they do not share vehicle location or driving behavior data with others unless it’s anonymized.
There is no where in Ford's privacy policy that states they share their data. That is the scary part, they do not admit to doing this. The fact that Ford has recently inked deals with data and collection companies NexisLexis and Verrisk speaks volumes about what they are doing with your data. The fact that your Bronco comes with the data sharing options turned on, without informing you of this fact also shows that Ford and other auto companies are not being forthright with you.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There is no where in Ford's privacy policy that states they share their data. That is the scary part, they do not admit to doing this. The fact that Ford has recently inked deals with data and collection companies NexisLexis and Verrisk speaks volumes about what they are doing with your data. The fact that your Bronco comes with the data sharing options turned on, without informing you of this fact also shows that Ford and other auto companies are not being forthright with you.
To be fair to Ford, they do pop up a notification on Sync4 that shows up once every few months informing you that data sharing is on, can be disabled in software, and advises you to read the privacy policy - which does disclose the sharing with "third parties". What is not clear in that policy (to me) is that the sharing is in personally identifiable manner at a staggering level of detail.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not making any assumptions, I'm just asking specifically where it states that personal data is being shared without our consent. Again, it appears you specifically have to opt into the service when signing up for a usage-based insurance program:

Ford and Lincoln customers with an eligible 2020 model year or newer vehicle can opt in to participate in usage-based insurance (UBI) programs, which has the potential to save customers money through more personalized insurance offerings.
I'm mostly commenting on the act of pulling a fuse to disable all network communications seems a little drastic when you can just opt out of it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not making any assumptions, I'm just asking specifically where it states that personal data is being shared without our consent. Again, it appears you specifically have to opt into the service when signing up for a usage-based insurance program:

I'm mostly commenting on the act of pulling a fuse to disable all network communications seems a little drastic when you can just opt out of it.
Pulling the fuse is a demonstration of lack of confidence that Ford is properly disclosing what and levelmof detail they they are sharing. The disclosure and disclaimer on the software screens of the vehicle never refer to insurance implications. Nor does the privacy policy mention it explicitly. Instead they don't serially. The software screen points you to the privacy policy, which does not explicitly describe the situation, which requires the user to be aware of and read a press release.

Yes it is technically all there which probably provides legal cover for Ford should someone sue them, but it is done in a very convoluted man er because Does knows that if they describe it in plain English the majority of people will say "Hell no". The highly limited uptake of Progressive's program to allow you to install a snitching device in your car in exchange for a minor reduction in premiums says as much.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't understand why all of you have to make this so complicated.

Go to the "Settings" menu in the middle screen, select "Connectivity", then turn everything to the off position. That's how I have mine set up, and it wasn't hard to figure out.
iZoOzf1.jpg

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go to the "Settings" menu in the middle screen, select "Connectivity", then turn everything to the off position. That's how I have mine set up, and it wasn't hard to figure out.
Ford Bronco How do we turn off data sharing? iZoOzf1
Exactly. If there’s clearly an option to opt out, I highly doubt the lawyers at Ford would allow the company to be opened up to all kinds of legal trouble.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think that the discussion has (d)evolved from "how do I turn it off" to "what does the privacy policy say" and "how adequately was this disclosed". I mentioned the capability referenced above 4 pages ago :D. In a chat Ford stated that if the connected features are disabled "nothing is sent". Pulliing the fuse vs disabling in software is analogous to air-gapping a system vs installing a firewall. Both have nominally the same end effect, one is more convenient than the other but you have to take Ford's word that a) they are doing what they say they are and b) they will not change the fine print when it suits them a year from now.

Those that had these features enabled until recently are also strongly advised to go to the NexisLexis optout link and, if their state allows them, also request the deletion of any existing data. If my interpretation of the laws is correct, insurance companies can use any existing data against you for 3 years. Unfortunately only a small handfull of states have a "right to delete" law.

LexisNexis makes this relatively easy, but I am yet to figure out how to do it with Verisk. The closest I have come is
https://www.verisk.com/privacy-trademarks-use/state-data-privacy-notice/
which directs you to
https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/69464/index.html
which seems fairly useless

Last edited:

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I like how ford has the system set up so that in order to turn data sharing off you must disable ALL data including navigation...... tell me that wasn't by design and shows their real intentions.

This whole thing makes me feel like I'm at work with the company watching everything I do... IN MY OWN VEHICLE.

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be fair to Ford, they do pop up a notification on Sync4 that shows up once every few months informing you that data sharing is on, can be disabled in software, and advises you to read the privacy policy - which does disclose the sharing with "third parties". What is not clear in that policy (to me) is that the sharing is in personally identifiable manner at a staggering level of detail.
Wow, I have not seen this Pop Up once on my screen once in the 1.5 years I have owned my Bronco. If they in fact are doing this as you have seen, that is an encouraging sign.

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How is it we can’t charge Ford or others for the info? Consumers have the power but there is no way to band everyone together . If nobody visited and purchased a Ford for quite some time things could change. Goes for more than just Ford. But it won’t happen.

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is big $$$ for Ford. Selling your personal data. If they are not already doing it, AI on mics to record conversations to sell that data to advertisers. "Honey, let's buy a new washing machine"... while driving along.

And for those who say they don't care about privacy or don't have anything to hide, please allow for sharing on all your devices to my private devices so I can see EVRYTHING you do online -- email, texts, banking, romantic, etc. in your personal life. I didn't think so. Here's a good place to start with general online privacy for those who may have an interest (almost all don't). And no, my name is not Kyle and I don't live in Augusta, GA and while I drive a Bronco, it is not a BD (got profile pic from a web search). And no, this forum does not have an email associated with my name. Privacy...
https://www.privacyguides.org/en/#why-should-i-care

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco How do we turn off data sharing? iZoOzf1
I trust Ford programmers to properly implement this as much as I trust gas station sushi. Does unchecking share vehicle location, for example, disable it from Fordpass? Doubt it.
Sponsored