Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMG_0074.jpeg

I’m a fan of the youtube TFL channels (especially @TFLtruck and @TFLoffroad) I finally got a Curt Bluetooth brake controller and was able to conduct a tow test with my 2 door non-sas badlands with the 2.3L. I figured I might as well make it one of the toughest (according to TFL) towing tests.

The end result is that I couldn’t be happier with how it performed.

I have had my Bronco since July 3rd and between break in, travel, getting the kids back into school, work, and life in general I hadn’t been able to tow until this morning. My trailer is a Hiker Trailer Exteme Off-Road. It is roughly 13’ long excluding the tongue, 1700lbs dry, and has the same size wheels and tires as the Bronco. It is coupled with a Maxx coupler and maybe had a few hundred pounds of gear inside- let’s call it ~2000lbs. Next time I use it, it will be closer to 2500lbs loaded with everything and my GFC super lite RTT. Being a Sunday the landscape supply centers are closed so I wasn’t able to get an accurate weight. This trailer does have brakes- not required but helpful in the mountains.

Previously I have towed this trailer with my last two vehicles a 2005 Tacoma, and 2017 Wrangler Rubicon Recon. I have also towed it with a borrowed F-150. The trailer itself and its set up I love, not really reviewing that here.

Round trip was close to 156 miles and burned almost exactly 10 gallons of premium. The dash fuel economy has been hovering around “20” mpg although my actual has been between 18.5-19 so a drop to 15.6 mpg in steep mountain country isn’t bad. For reference I would routinely get close to 9-10 mpg with the Tacoma and 12ish with the Jeep towing. The approach to the tunnel was uneventful. I stopped about 20 miles in at the start of the mountains to do a safety check.

Climbing uphill felt almost as it does without the trailer. The little 2.3 has plenty of power and the ability to pass. I found myself in the left lane often without any burden to other traffic. I had plenty of reserve the entire approach. My tacoma was always steady and reliable but definitely maxed out towing in mountain country. The Jeep always seemed to hunting for the right gear and highly revving while towing.

Other than a few passes of semis and other slow traffic the ‘wonderful’ tac never went above 4200rpm. The first major descent “Floyd Hill” was good indicator that downshifting the transmission was more than capable of mostly eliminating the need for brakes.

After a slow final approach to the tunnel due to traffic I was able to exit the tunnel close to the 50mph speed limit to start the descent test into Silverthorn. Tunnel to the exit I was able to maintain close to the 65 mph speed limit with downshifting and only needed one brake application due to a vehicle merging close in front of me and hitting their brakes. The trans hovered around 4000 rpm controlling the descent and the temps all staying nominal.

Turning around and heading back up was just as uneventful and easy as the approach. The acceleration was smooth and consistent. Aside from the thicker traffic that slowed me down it would be hard to make the top in much less than the 7:53 end time without exceeding the speed limit.

The test over with and good results- a mountain trip is never truly successful until you cross onto your driveway. Doing this in the morning helped avoid most of but not all the building Sunday traffic, but there were no issues descending back into Denver in time to find the lazy boy for the Broncos vs. Raiders- Go Broncos and Go Bronco.

Lessons learned and observations:
  • -The hitch area is cramped I’ll need to find a narrow/short hitch pin.
  • -The Curt Bluetooth controller worked awesome simple easy setup. Don’t waste money or time installing a brake controller if you need one. Ford why not just add one in like most of your trucks c’mon man!
  • -I need a better phone mount as you use your phone as the manual control and to set the controller.
  • -I saw a lot of overloaded towing setups. For this test I was close to 30-40ish% under the Bronco’s 3500lb max. I try to plan on a max of a 20% safety margin(10% at minimum and 10% for mountain country) I work as a first responder and see too many towing failures.
  • -Using the Max coupler required a hitch extension due to the height and the spare tire- easy fix though.
  • -I wish I could manually keep the backup camera on past the 30 second delay. I found myself doing a few quick shifts into reverse to turn it back on as I navigated out of a tight parking spot in Idaho springs.
  • -I was worried the 2 door would dog track as it towed due to the short wheelbase. No complaints it tracked perfectly straight.
  • -I want to add a backup camera to my trailer- easy ideas welcomed- thinking a license plate to Bluetooth type.
  • -If I was (and I will be at some point) doing a cross country trip my effective range would be close to 200 miles. I always take a fuel can as insurance I will need it with my 16gal tank- I’d want it with the 4dr too tho.
  • -I don’t regret not getting the 2.7L, when I get the Ford performance tune I’ll forget even more.

Alright enough towing- time to hit the trails!
Great writeup. Very helpful to me as I'm picking up a Boreas offroad trailer soon. (very similar to the Hiker except it has frame reinforcement for a moto to be mounted on the front.)

Why not use the Redarc Elite (aka Ford spec) brake controller?

Are you using the 4 pin or 7 pin connector? I ask because the 7 pin can control the brakes, can be wired to power trailer reverse lights and trailer reverse camera, and throws a light charge to your trailer battery.... which can keep the refrigerator on while driving without reducing trailer battery capacity.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great writeup. Very helpful to me as I'm picking up a Boreas offroad trailer soon. (very similar to the Hiker except it has frame reinforcement for a moto to be mounted on the front.)

Why not use the Redarc Elite (aka Ford spec) brake controller?

Are you using the 4 pin or 7 pin connector? I ask because the 7 pin can control the brakes, can be wired to power trailer reverse lights and trailer reverse camera, and throws a light charge to your trailer battery.... which can keep the refrigerator on while driving without reducing trailer battery capacity.
I am using the 7 pin and it charges everything. The solar system works in conjunction to help top stuff off once parked (I rarely camp in RV sites) I elected to go with the Bluetooth controller to avoid wiring in a factory or aftermarket controller as that requires extensive disassembly of the dash. There are other posts about this. I’ll be interested in any review of your boreas. Those did not exist when I bought mine and they are out of my price range. I had contacted them about a naked chassis a few years back to build a fishing raft/camping trailer and they wouldn’t sell one to me. Now they offer a chassis for a reasonable cost I may revisit that idea someday.

bdezmo

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Chevy Dually
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tripod, When reading your Post, you stated that you used a "Hitch Extension". That was my first thought when setting up my rig for towing an overlanding trailer, but when researching and going through spec's, depending on the length of the extension, it will de-rate your hitch's capacity by 25-50%. I I was able to locate a 2" x 16" Ball Mount, that's rated for at least 5000#. Never Forget, 09/11/2001.

ball mount.jpg
That's why I bought the extended receiver versus using an extended hitch insert. It drags on some approaches/departures...but I made a skid plate insert to resolve.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am using the 7 pin and it charges everything. The solar system works in conjunction to help top stuff off once parked (I rarely camp in RV sites) I elected to go with the Bluetooth controller to avoid wiring in a factory or aftermarket controller as that requires extensive disassembly of the dash. There are other posts about this. I’ll be interested in any review of your boreas. Those did not exist when I bought mine and they are out of my price range. I had contacted them about a naked chassis a few years back to build a fishing raft/camping trailer and they wouldn’t sell one to me. Now they offer a chassis for a reasonable cost I may revisit that idea someday.
Good to know that 7 pin is charging everything up. The Boreas is setup the same. Solar is first source, then goes to battery and other sources mixed in(shore power, 7 pin from tow-vehicle, etc)
You mentioned putting reverse lights or cam on the Hiker. I'll likely do the same, somehow using that center pin (un-used) in the 7 pin connector for backing. I'm looking at Ring (automotive camera/motion devices) for various reasons. But, I would need a way to put it in drive mode...

Funny you mention calling Boreas about there base build. That was my plan. Buy their base trailer platform and build it up.... When I started adding components and time commitment to the build, I approached the price of the AT. When I added options to the AT, I ran up against the price of the XT... Which is what I pickup next week. I think they have the pricing figured out... What I don't know is how my 315 pound moto (same CRF they have in their brochure hitched to a 4Runner) will work on the Badsquatch 4 door. I also will find out if I need a hitch extender under the 35 inch spare. I'm hoping the Cruisemaster hitch will engage without needed too much height above it.

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know that 7 pin is charging everything up. The Boreas is setup the same. Solar is first source, then goes to battery and other sources mixed in(shore power, 7 pin from tow-vehicle, etc)
You mentioned putting reverse lights or cam on the Hiker. I'll likely do the same, somehow using that center pin (un-used) in the 7 pin connector for backing. I'm looking at Ring (automotive camera/motion devices) for various reasons. But, I would need a way to put it in drive mode...

Funny you mention calling Boreas about there base build. That was my plan. Buy their base trailer platform and build it up.... When I started adding components and time commitment to the build, I approached the price of the AT. When I added options to the AT, I ran up against the price of the XT... Which is what I pickup next week. I think they have the pricing figured out... What I don't know is how my 315 pound moto (same CRF they have in their brochure hitched to a 4Runner) will work on the Badsquatch 4 door. I also will find out if I need a hitch extender under the 35 inch spare. I'm hoping the Cruisemaster hitch will engage without needed too much height above it.
yeah I’ll wire the backup cam into the license plate light which is always on and just manually activate from my phone as needed.

with the boreas or any utility/raft trailer my plan was to create a boat deck for my raft then put a rack on it that can handle two GFC superlite RTT my boat is light enough to carry with two to put in and I have an E bike to do a self shuttle from the take out.

Sponsored

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # DT37GR
Ford Bronco I like IKE: 2 door Bronco tow test. 1695133097413

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice set-up and great post. I have the towing package on my 2.3L Big Bend and am glad to know it will be up to the task when I finally get around to using it.

I attached a picture of my phone mount that I bought for it. I really like it. It keeps the phone out of the way, uses the 2 nameplate bolts to mount, has a ball joint so you can easily angle it, and wirelessly mag charges my iphone 12 mini with the aftermarket case I bought for it. I recall it was a little expensive at around $100.

If you're really interested, I'll continue poking and see where the heck I bought it from. I do remember I had to buy it from the vendor website.
Ford Bronco I like IKE: 2 door Bronco tow test. 1695133097413
Please poke around. I believe this is what I'm looking for.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you messed around with drive modes while towing? I tow my 6x12 Cargo Conversion in sport Mode switched to 2wd, and like it pretty well. I'm towing with the 2.7 and got pretty similar mileage loaded for a weekend. I was returning from a recent Pronghorn trip, and was heavier than normal. 350 miles of headwinds and I got ten mpg. Ugh.
Ford Bronco I like IKE: 2 door Bronco tow test. 20221104_144438