Sponsored

I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less!

MrParticular

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davidlauterbach.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7 Bronco, 1989 5.0 25th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After I finally got my Bronco CO BB last month (2 years to the day after I placed my reservation!) I took the top off and installed the Tonneau cover that came from the dealer for $160 and for some reason is $109 aftermarket on Ford's website.

I had the same problem as everyone else... could not get the 8 holes to line up. After some time in the hot sun, I at least got the four corners in. But those flappy straps... ugh!

So I built an insert that helped solved the problem (and ugliness) of those straps, one of which broke out of the box.

The Bronco tailgate has two points that are labeled "soft top ready" or something like that. I looked around at parts and found they were M6 30mm T-30 bolts.

So I made am insert that I can bolt the Tonneau cover into. I made it out of scrapwood, but its basically a bridge to bolt the cover to, as pictured below.

It uses M8 inserts for the standard Ford bolts which keep it secure enough from eyes and I guess some grabby hands, and the original flap can be tucked in or left out, but it looks way better tucked in. I snipped off the horrible flappy straps. The angle pieces came from Lowe's had to be drilled out. M6 T-30 bolts via Amazoon to match the Bronco kit were a little off, IP30 must be a hair different.

Overall, it looks great and I feel like I am getting my money's worth out of this branded cover, at least until someone creates a better one. I can open and close the tailgate with ease! No awkward strapping and unstrapping! But still can't get all 8 bolts in the Tonneau after 10 days of stretching (I'm up to 5 now!).

I hope the pics are self explanatory, but I'd be happy to help with more info if you want to build one!

Dave

Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5678
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5679
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5680
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5682
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5683
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5684
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5685
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5687
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5690
Ford Bronco I made the stock Ford Tonneau cover suck less! IMG_5689
Sponsored