Sponsored

Ice build up prevents door from opening. (Complaint for ford)

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Its just a failure in the Bronco's design, and I don't think that there is anything that can be done at this point.

The rear door is not an occasional use item for me because just about any time that I'm driving I have my two kids with me. I'm considering buying some of those overpriced fender flare delete kits. Driving around without the fender flares isn't necessarily my first choice, but I'm guessing that it would at least allow the rear doors to be opened reliably....
Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in Michigan, this issue is a concern to me. I suspect any surface treatments will be short-lived in their effectiveness.

I never thought I would need such a thing, but if my wide sliders don't prevent the issue, I may look into wiring in a low wattage heating pad in those areas.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Part of living where it snows is ice build-up on your car, house, and everything else that is outside. This is a non-issue when it happens, you scrape it off.
There might be a learning curve for people living their first winter in the snow, but this isn't a Bronco problem that might ruin the door. It's ice buildup on a perpendicular surface.
99% of people who live in the snow will carry an ice scraper in their car, even a credit card will work in a pinch, OP is just being dramatic.
Thanks, dad. We all love being lectured- it makes us stronger....

Sponsored

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fender delete (or temp removal) before winter driving or impending ice storms.

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will be adding some gator mud flaps to mine.
Same. Not sure it will help but they are cool and the only ones out that work with the rock rails.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The problem, for those who genuinely aren't understanding this, is that if you have anyone in the backseat they can't get out until you've gotten out and cleared the ice from the flare or you risk damage to the door when they open it.
Just get a 2dr and dont have passengers

broncoGIRL21

Big Bend
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have never seen anyone scrape ice off a car on anything other than windows. I especially would never scrape ice off paint. Ever.
I' "scraped it off" the first time and it was a big mistake. My fender is now scratched. I should have left it and let it melt off.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Donā€™t scrape it off, just give the fender flare a thump or two with your hand. It will flex a bit and the ice will fall off.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Donā€™t scrape it off, just give the fender flare a thump or two with your hand. It will flex a bit and the ice will fall off.
Better yet, give it a thump with the brush of your scraper. I can understand the concern, but reading some of the comments you would think some never lived through a northern winter before. Canā€™t count the times iā€™ve had problems opening my doors in rough winter conditions.

OP
OP
jdawg

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Better yet, give it a thump with the brush of your scraper. I can understand the concern, but reading some of the comments you would think some never lived through a northern winter before. Canā€™t count the times iā€™ve had problems opening my doors in rough winter conditions.
Yes. Thank you. That is what I did, as I am sure everyone else who might have been dealing with the ice. Shockingly the fenders are less flex-able than you would think. I was not really highlighting this issue/oversight (whatever you want to call it) to find ways of removing ice. Although the heating elements and pam (which I have used for shoveling) are great ideas. Ice sucks. Those Icebergs that form under fenders (due to road spray) are whatever... but when they form on your fender and that fender is horizontal to that door .... it is different.

The point was that you have to remove the ice, before opening the door. Note that passengers in the back can't, if the ice formed when driving. As another person pointed out... it is a real pain in the ass to get out and do this. It really is. There are plenty of designs that solve this and I think that ford missed the mark as it is delivered.

Possible design solutions are like the following. 2 images are 6G broncos.
Ford Bronco Ice build up prevents door from opening. (Complaint for ford) 1644764817363
or
Ford Bronco Ice build up prevents door from opening. (Complaint for ford) 1644764900338
or
Ford Bronco Ice build up prevents door from opening. (Complaint for ford) 1644765076841
Sponsored