Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d like to cost-effectively reduce or eliminate the possibility of tie-rod breakage on my 22 2 door Badlands Man-Squatch.

Original plan was Peak Suspension tie rod sleeves, but my local trusted 4x4 shop recommends strongly against. They say this is a very dumb idea that increases the chance of costly damage. Shop states that breakage occurs when suspension droop exceeds geometry, and load when turning exceeds limit…and if I brace the OEM tie rod, all I’ll do is transfer the load to the rack and break it. Shop recommends these options:

a - Carry a replacement tie rod and be ready to swap on the trail.
b - Avoid breakage by limiting use of front locker in full droop. It still might break, but care in use reduces risk.
c - Replace the tie rods with upgraded assembly end to end to handle droop without breakage. Apparently upgraded rods allow improved flex to avoid breaking the rack. (Costly)
d - Limit down travel by about 1/2” with straps.
e - Anticipate better Ford OEM parts as upgrade/replacement later i

I’m led to believe that with mild wheeling (easy east coast rock crawling and trail riding) that limiting down travel will not be a major issue, as long as I have the front locker and I retain up travel. Clearly the sta-bar disconnect will be less effective but will still help somewhat.

I’m inclined to try it (option d) pending e. I don’t want to spend a grand or more on replacement tie rods.

Anything I’m missing with this thought process?…. I want to keep this vehicle “forever”. It will never be lifted, and it will retain stock SAS suspension otherwise.

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable replies.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
a. Could be done and would work.
b. The locker will not affect the tie rods much. If you were afraid of breaking a CV I could see this being a suggestion but that is not the problem here. You have the m210 so your CV's should be good.
c. This could work. This works for other trucks.
d. I can see the theory of this helping but I think this would be hard to make work in practice.
e. I am sure something will come out. Maybe the new rack from the Wildtrak could have parts that are stronger?

So I would go with C. You know the weak link, so just fix that. I have put stronger tie rods on other trucks. not hard to do.

OP
OP
gwp

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

a. Could be done and would work.
b. The locker will not affect the tie rods much. If you were afraid of breaking a CV I could see this being a suggestion but that is not the problem here. You have the m210 so your CV's should be good.
c. This could work. This works for other trucks.
d. I can see the theory of this helping but I think this would be hard to make work in practice.
e. I am sure something will come out. Maybe the new rack from the Wildtrak could have parts that are stronger?

So I would go with C. You know the weak link, so just fix that. I have put stronger tie rods on other trucks. not hard to do.
Yeah I agree that better tie rods are the “best” answer. Just too spendy for my interest.

And agree, not worried about the CV breaking. Shop opinion is using the lockers at full droop tends to push thr tie rods to breaking limit, more than otherwise.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can see why the tie rod sleeves are so tempting, they are cheep and all the photos of the tie rods breaking show them going at right in that spot.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Droop or compression putting tie rods or cv joints in a bind is just not a thing with stock or Sasquatch suspendtion. Tie rods break (on stock suspension) from side stress and/or impact. Don’t turn the steering wheel while stopped , against an obstacle or when it is under load And try to “hit” the center of obstacles. Lockers have little or nothing to do with it...If not upgrading rack and pinion do not upgrade tie rods. Carry an extra with tools and learn how to change it.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've wondered about this myself. Even with my Jeep because once you lift, things start hitting other things as you droop. Limit straps are an easy and legit way to prevent your suspension from extending further than you want.

Here is the issue.. People have a hard on for "Flex" and limit straps reduce that...so you probably won't get a lot of love, or real world experience from people using them..short of serious builds And at that point a comparison would be worthless.

Flex reminds me so much of "chicken strips" for motorcycles. People get all hung up on them, yet if you're actually riding your bike correctly, you can take corners so much faster without needing to lean over as far. I wore my chicken strips with pride as a passed everyone else :p

Reactions: gwp

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Those saying having locker on in the front won’t affect tie rods are wrong. It adds way more force and stress to a tie rod when a front tire is bound up while being locked.

I use tie rod sleeves they are mostly for piece of mind although I do have two TrickyDick inner tie rods in the trunk cargo cubby. I only lock the front when I absolutely need it.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those saying having locker on in the front won’t affect tie rods are wrong. It adds way more force and stress to a tie rod when a front tire is bound up while being locked.

I use tie rod sleeves they are mostly for piece of mind although I do have two TrickyDick inner tie rods in the trunk cargo cubby. I only lock the front when I absolutely need it.
When I attended the off-roadeo, one of the first things they recommended is not turning while the front lockers are engaged, or at the very least, minimize turning and droop while front lockers are on. They didn't exactly say why, but with how easy it is to engage or disengage the lockers, turning them on for just a moment when needed, and turning them back off, is super easy, barely an inconvenience.
Sponsored