Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anybody else experienced this....

I have an iPhone 11. Also use a Bluetooth earpiece for business. The earpiece has voice prompts for things like "Phone Connected", "Phone Disconnected", etc.

Every time I start my Bronco, the earpiece disconnects (says "phone disconnected" in my ear). After a random number of seconds (5-10), it reconnects ("phone connected" in my ear).

This happens even if I leave the Bronco running and I go into the quickie mart. Phone and earpiece both on my body. When I hop back into the Bronco...."phone disconnected".....then later...."phone connected"

This will also happen occasionally just driving down the road. Or in the middle of a conversation suddenly the earpiece disconnects and the Bronco Bluetooth takes the call. So I just keep on talking and then.....the earpiece takes the call back from the Bronco.

I'm reminded of the Chinese blessing that is also a curse: "may you live in interesting times". Only the modern version of that is "may you experience all that Bluetooth has to offer"
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anybody else experienced this....

I have an iPhone 11. Also use a Bluetooth earpiece for business. The earpiece has voice prompts for things like "Phone Connected", "Phone Disconnected", etc.

Every time I start my Bronco, the earpiece disconnects (says "phone disconnected" in my ear). After a random number of seconds (5-10), it reconnects ("phone connected" in my ear).

This happens even if I leave the Bronco running and I go into the quickie mart. Phone and earpiece both on my body. When I hop back into the Bronco...."phone disconnected".....then later...."phone connected"

This will also happen occasionally just driving down the road. Or in the middle of a conversation suddenly the earpiece disconnects and the Bronco Bluetooth takes the call. So I just keep on talking and then.....the earpiece takes the call back from the Bronco.

I'm reminded of the Chinese blessing that is also a curse: "may you live in interesting times". Only the modern version of that is "may you experience all that Bluetooth has to offer"
I don't know how an iPhone determines order of Bluetooth device preference for calls, and I know that it gets more complicated when CarPlay is involved. Does the issue persist if CarPlay is disabled? How about if wireless carplay is disabled under Connecivity? It may be best to not pair to the car over Bluetooth, and use the wire, and the let your Bluetooth headset handle all the calls.

I've found that if I power on a bluetooth headset, airpods or otherwise while the Bronco is running the call will auto transfer to the headset. New calls will originate back on the Bronco again. The only adjustments for CarPlay itself on the phone seem to be what apps to offer or exclude on the screen.

OP
OP
Figmo

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know how an iPhone determines order of Bluetooth device preference for calls, and I know that it gets more complicated when CarPlay is involved. Does the issue persist if CarPlay is disabled? How about if wireless carplay is disabled under Connecivity? It may be best to not pair to the car over Bluetooth, and use the wire, and the let your Bluetooth headset handle all the calls.

I've found that if I power on a bluetooth headset, airpods or otherwise while the Bronco is running the call will auto transfer to the headset. New calls will originate back on the Bronco again. The only adjustments for CarPlay itself on the phone seem to be what apps to offer or exclude on the screen.
Good suggestion. I'll try disabling wireless CarPlay.

Would rather not completely unpair the phone from the Bronco because I only have the earpiece on during business hours. Nights/weekends I run around with a naked ear.

Along this same line of thought - I have gotten so frustrated with this that I will often switch the ear piece off when I'm in the Bronco and just use the Bronco interface. This is one solution but a bit of a pain when I leave the Bronco and a call comes in.

I get the impression that way back when they wrote the Bluetooth specification they didn't envision it becoming so ubiquitous as it is today. They really need to update that to take into account the hundreds of different devices all wanting to play together.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey thought I'd come back here to mention:

I've found you CAN do device prioritization in IOS to a limited degree.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > Choose Bluetooth Headset.

From there, go into bluetooth and designate your Bronco's bluetooth device as a Car Stereo. I do believe this config will route calls to a connected headset first, but I've not tried it yet.
Sponsored