First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ordered 2 years ago this month! I was driving a 2003 Camry and since Ford could not tell me WHEN my Bronco was going to arrive, I was forced to buy another car in June of this year. So I get a call yesterday to tell me my Bronco was in! YAY ME!

Well.... Not so fast! I get to the dealer check out the Bronco, take a test drive, and leave my current vehicle (2019 Acura, Low mileage, Tech package, and EXCELLENT SHAPE) for the dealer to appraise for trade-in. The sale-man and General manager tell me they had (3) people stop by as they were unloading the Bronco and said they would buy it right then..... So....after the test drive, I tell the salesman to let go talk numbers.

Little background info: I work in the Financial world of Investments, and I use to be a loan officer for several years, I don't need anyone to tell me what my "NOTE" will be! I can figure that! I am buying from a dealer right in the Middle of the Haynesville Shale, (one of the wealthiest locations in our state). LOTS OF MONEY in this little part of the county, Many people became Millionaires practically overnight! I know this because I work in investments in the area, I have 1st hand knowledge of the mailbox money that the area receives.

Story continued... We sit down in his office, he is having problems with his computer. After waiting 20-25 mins for the "Computer" to work. I outright ask "Can you just tell me what you are giving me for trade-in"? I can figure out all the rest. (I already know the price of the Bronco). Well, the salesman looked confused, He paused and said "I need to put it in the computer, so we can get the number right" I explained, "All I needed to know right now is what they are giving me on trade-in". After waiting a minute or two, the salesman asked another man (guessing Gen. manager?) what they were giving me for trade-in. It was $7,000. below Trade-in VALUE on the low side! I told both men, " They weren't even in the ballpark"! The general manager replied "That was the best they could do because, in their area, there just wasn't a market for a High-In cars. The gist was people in that area didn't make the money to pay that price. However, in a town 30 miles away I could easily get that for my car" Because it was a larger market.

Now....I am not one that places my wants over needs, after all, it is just a car (It was my dream car, but it was just a car. A car I waited (2) years for, but just a car! {I am trying to make myself feel better by repeating this}). The trade-in price was an outright slap in the face and I knew what they were doing. I knew I was locked in at the original price on the Bronco and they did hold up to that end of the deal. However, they knew if they screw me on the trade-in and lowballed it, then they would make a great profit off the sale of my trade-in. Or... I would give up the Bronco and they could now mark it up to "WHATEVER PRICE" they please and make their whopping profit there! Well.... I walked away without a Bronco! Thanks, FORD, I wasted 2 years of my life and you screwed me once again! :( MERRY CHIRSTMAS TO ME! AND to "ALL" of you!
Sponsored

JenB

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep LJ, 2021 4DR Badlands, 2023 DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

or.....sit in the office and sell to carvana off the parking lot?

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why "thanks FORD" when it is your dealer who low-balled you on your trade-in? And why not just buy the Bronco then sell the car private party if it's so amazing? Something doesn't add up.

Sponsored

NoleDawg

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It literally took me 30 minutes to put in my vin and get offers from 4 different online car buying sites when I was dumping my car before picking up my bronco. 3 were crap and one was over what I considered to be a good value for the car. Dropped the car on the way to pickup the bronco at a local dealership that had a tie-in with the online company and they had a check in my hand within 45 minutes. You gave up too quickly. I’m sorry, the frustration of the whole process can lead to some whacky decisions.

TNBadBronc

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco/ 2004 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I talked to my dealer a couple weeks before my Bronco arrived about trade in. Was able to get 7k more selling to carvana. Did that, and bought the Bronco without a trade in.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

playing the trade in game is not worth the tax credit because dealers like to play games which you know.

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with the other posters, why not just keep your car, buy the Bronco and then sell the car yourself later on? No law that says you need to trade in at the dealer unless you needed the money to but the Bronco. If that was the case, I would have told the dealer that I would be back to finalize the sale of the Bronco and sold the car somewhere else.

I am going to be in a similar situation when it comes time to pick up my new truck. I plan on selling my current pickup, either privately or as a trade in. If the dealer can't come close to what I can get elsewhere I'll just forgo the trade in.

Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Should have bought the Bronco at your guaranteed price. Then sold your other car. Get what your car is worth 30 miles away. If your car doesn't sell sounds like you could sell the Bronco and make a profit.

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
they only way to really get a trade value number is to see what a similar car is selling for at auction. kbb trade value is just a number at this point.
I did they were not in the ball park.

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why "thanks FORD" when it is your dealer who low-balled you on your trade-in? And why not just buy the Bronco then sell the car private party if it's so amazing? Something doesn't add up.
"IF" Ford would have had the Bronco made and delivered within a reasonable time frame I wouldn't be trading in anything. I waited for over 1.6 years for the Bronco.

AzureGray6G

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubi 4-Dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just as an FYI. In some states, such as Colorado, the state government has almost forced you into trading with the dealership you are buying from. If you don't trade with the dealer you are buying from you lose your entire sales tax credit for the trade in.......... and on a $50,000 new vehicle tax can amount to almost $5,.000, which you would receive no credit against. I would guess that the area car dealers got together and PRESSURED the state government to pass such a law?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.