Jerry Can Mount?

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

SOLID recap...THANKS
Sponsored

das

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Comp
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SO in order to use the RTR Jerry can mount, do you have to buy all the kit they sell?

+ Rear tire carrier ($1200)
+ Molle accessory ($150)
+ Tailgate stop ($150)
+ Jerry can mount ($350)

Or can you get by without the tire carrier? Will the jerry can mount still fit? And does it depend on spare tire size?

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... and they are also in the middle of making a fuel can carrier that's intended to fit the Scepter MFC. Although they don't sell the Scepter cans in the US, there's a site from which you can buy them in Canada...and the benefit of them is that they are far lighter than a steel Jerry can and they are nearly indestructible. ...
Couldn't agree more about MFCs. I have a number of them, and won't use anything else. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. My path forward will either be this setup, or a bumper mounted spare tire carrier/MFC carrier.

Herb

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couldn't agree more about MFCs. I have a number of them, and won't use anything else. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this. My path forward will either be this setup, or a bumper mounted spare tire carrier/MFC carrier.

Herb
Hammer Built will soon release theirs, but in the interim I can confirm this setup works with either Jerry cans or MFCs:

https://www.expeditiononestore.com/NATOScepter-Can-Mount-Jerry_p_53.html

You have to select the dual option, because their carriers are meant to used with their setups, and let them know you want to use it with the MFC (they will then send you the metal strap instead of the brackets that someone with a Jerry can would need). They have a chat feature and if you tell them what you want to do they then recommend the right one. It has a vertical mount surface with multiple holes, and it should mount to most setups out there. The only downside to the Bronco mounting is that our hinges are angled, and the can will tilt outward...but some McMaster Carr wedge spacers will take care of that.

Hammer Built's carrier will be aluminum and lighter than the Expedition carrier...but some folks prefer steel.

Sponsored

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hammer Built will soon release theirs, but in the interim I can confirm this setup works with either Jerry cans or MFCs:

https://www.expeditiononestore.com/NATOScepter-Can-Mount-Jerry_p_53.html

You have to select the dual option, because their carriers are meant to used with their setups, and let them know you want to use it with the MFC (they will then send you the metal strap instead of the brackets that someone with a Jerry can would need). They have a chat feature and if you tell them what you want to do they then recommend the right one. It has a vertical mount surface with multiple holes, and it should mount to most setups out there. The only downside to the Bronco mounting is that our hinges are angled, and the can will tilt outward...but some McMaster Carr wedge spacers will take care of that.

Hammer Built's carrier will be aluminum and lighter than the Expedition carrier...but some folks prefer steel.
Thanks for that link, I hadn't come across them before.

Herb

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are both aluminum and could easily be modified to mount whatever system you have (like Raptor hinges or the Hammer Built plate or the RTR setup). I like the AT one but it is not available in black...you have to remove the protective coating and then get it powdercoated if you don't like the natural aluminum finish. Hammer Built does awesome powdercoating, and the Roambuilt and Expedition also have decent powdercoating as well.

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
SO in order to use the RTR Jerry can mount, do you have to buy all the kit they sell?

+ Rear tire carrier ($1200)
+ Molle accessory ($150)
+ Tailgate stop ($150)
+ Jerry can mount ($350)

Or can you get by without the tire carrier? Will the jerry can mount still fit? And does it depend on spare tire size?
I don't love the RTR can carrier because it fits only Jerry cans (not Scepters) and their is no lock over the cap...someone can quickly siphon your gas. If you go RTR, get the carrier and the molle accessory, skip the tailgate stop and buy the shorter strut rod from Hammer Built, and buy whatever fuel carrier you want that has a flat/solid vertical panel do you can drill/mount it to the molle panel. The Expedition one (under 200) or the AT one (under 200) or the Roambuilt (under 300) are all IMHO better than the RTR setup because they work with Scepter (or Jerry for the AT and Expedition) and they lock the caps. AT is the lightest (6 pounds). I recommend Scepter MFC cans all day long versus Jerry because they weigh 10 pounds less and are more robust.
Sponsored